would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

email not working with Win Xp

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
vapour
Popular Poster

hi, I have an old Lineone.net address that until recently worked fine on both my Win XP, and my Win 7 pc now it only works with the Win 7 pc.

I have checked all the settings are the same as they were and also checked across my two platforms, all seems correct.

when I ret with the Xp system I get the error message:

"Task 'ring rite - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'"

I gave tried everything I can think of, any help greatly appreciated.

E-cig
Highlighted
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @vapour 

Before going further just confirm for me that your lineone email account is working fine via the Windows 7 email client and via TalkTalk Webmail.

Neither Microsoft or TalkTalk officially support Windows XP on any platform because security updates / patches have not been applied.

It's likely that you'll be able to get an insecure connection via port 143 (IMAP) or 110 (POP3) and switch off SSL security but of course your emails and email password will be open to interception between your email client and the TalkTalk server.  Not recommended.

I'd need to know the email client in use and the incoming and outgoing SMTP server settings to be able to advise further and usually the best way is to take screenshots, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address then post here using the Photos icon above this Reply area. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
vapour
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola

thanks for the reply, and further to your question the account works fine on the Win 7 system and webmail, just not on my XP system.

I did try the 110 (pop3) settings on the XP system but same result (see attached the error message).

I use MS Outlook 2007 (12.0.6776.5000) SP3 on both systems.

please find attached the settings for this address, which are the same on both systems.

many thanks

mail error.jpgemail settings.jpg

in case the files did not get through.

E-cig
Highlighted
Gondola
Community Star

Hi vapour 

The settings you've shown should work provided the server can negotiate a secure connection.

On the advanced tab:

• Incoming server (POP3): 110
  • Untick This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)

This is simply to test if you can connect the client to the server.

Highlighted
vapour
Popular Poster

hi Gondola

yes using your pop3 110 and unticking the encrypted connection I was able to send and receive a test message.

I thought I had tried this before, but maybe not, only problem as you pointed out it is open to interception,

not very nice, to easy to get hacked.

is there a better way?

E-cig
Highlighted
Gondola
Community Star

Hi vapour 

I just wanted to make sure you could connect to the mail server before proceeding.

The issue therefore is simply that a secure connection isn't being negotiated between the email client and mail server. Your email client settings looked to be appropriate.

How do you feel about trying OE Classic which is an XP compatible look-alike for the Microsoft product?  Other customers are using that and although the setup isn't intuitive I believe it'll have the best hope of working with a secure connection.  It is capable of using TLS1.2 security whereas the MS product is not.

Highlighted
vapour
Popular Poster

interesting idea but it is a pay for application, or appears to be.

I still would like to know if there is anything I can do to solve the issue, as it may turn up on other machines I occasional have to use.

E-cig
Highlighted
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @vapour 

Standard version appeared to be free. 

Highlighted
vapour
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola

I apologise as you say the standard versiom does appear to be free (just downloaded it), I will try it out.

many thanks for your help, this looks like it could be the solution to my problem.

thanks again

Vapour

E-cig
Highlighted
vapour
Popular Poster

Hi Gondola

just to let you know I gave tried the OE Classic software, but the free version only allows one email identity, the paid for version allows multiple identities like MS outlook.

The OE classic works well though picked up my lineone messages no problem.

Vapour

E-cig
Highlighted
Gondola
Community Star

Hi vapour 

Nice one.

In summary, Windows XP is no longer supported and not receiving security updates and Outlook on XP doesn't support TLS1.2 which is needed to keep your hardware going for a bit longer. But taking an inherently insecure XP system online does expose you to risks. Personally, I don't recommend it.

OE Classic does support TLS1.2 and you've proven that you can collect your email via the OE Classic client's secure connection or via Outlook's insecure connection using Windows XP. 

The next bits start to get more involved in finding ways to keep Windows 7 and XP platforms going.

With Windows 7 there is a Microsoft registry fudge to force Outlook to use TLS1.2. Only use this for Windows 7 and only if fully accepting of the fact that registry modifications can go wrong.

The next tryout is using the Thunderbird email client. It's not Microsoft Outlook so it will look different and there'll be a bit more of a learning curve if you've not used Thunderbird before.  There is a website oldapps.com that offers downloads of older versions of software compatible with XP.  As with all such sites do scan the software before running to try and protect against viruses and malware. I haven't tested but I do believe the Thunderbird version shown did offer support for TLS1.2.

Highlighted
vapour
Popular Poster

thanks for all your help and idea's Gondola.

I will now have a look at other email clients for XP, but I will use the Win 7 platform while it still works as you suggested.

Thanks again I have learnt a lot from this issue.

Regards

Vapour

E-cig
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Vapour,

I can see Gondola has given you a lot of help with this, please let us know if you need any further assistance 🙂

Chris

Highlighted
vapour
Popular Poster

Hi Chris

sorry for the delay answering, but I was called away on a job.

in answer to your question the answer at present is that Gondola has given me lots of idea's and now I am back I will be trying out some of them, if I find anything that works well with my XP system I will post it for every one.

till then I would like to thanks Gondola for his help, time and patients with me.

Vapour

E-cig