Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

emails on talktalk.net not being received

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Chat Champion

There can be no doubt that emails sent to my address on 'talktalk.net' are not being received by me. I've checked my PC (on which I use Thunderbird), my mobile phone and webmail on the Talktalk site. I've asked the senders to direct the same emails either to my gmail.com or btinternet.com addresses and the messages are immediately delivered OK.  This has happened - I know - on at least 3 occasions - all critical to me.  Also emails have arrived several days after being sent to me. There is no way I can know how many emails have disappeared. I can have no confidence in the service!

I know that Talktalk has been in the process of upgrading email; is this responsible for the breakdown in reliability?

How do I get this sorted out?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @imac999 

It has been known for this very situation to happen when a customer's mailbox is full, when the email address and or the sender's email address is included in the Blocked Senders Filter that's part of the mailbox filtering on the old Webmail platform or the sender's previous emails have been marked as Spam.

Worth checking a few things when signing in to TalkTalk Webmail for the email address that's having problems. 

1. That your mailbox is not full. If full it will not accept new emails.
  2. That your or your sender's email address is not included in the Blocked Senders Filter
  3. That your email is not being Auto-forwarded to another email address
  4. That the wanted email is not sitting in the Trash folder which will happen if the sender's emails have been (inadvertently) marked as Spam

To delete an email address from the Blocked Sender's Filter on the classic TalkTalk WebMail platform:

• Login to TalkTalk WebMail
  • Click or tap on Settings in the left hand panel
  • Then Mail under Settings
  • Then scroll down to Filters
  • Select the Blocked Sender's Filter line and select Delete to completely delete
  • OR select Edit to selectively find and delete an email address
  • In the pop-up window
  • Select the email address
  • Select Delete and Confirm OK

To check the Auto-forward

• Look in the Settings > Mail section below Filters
  • If that rule is enabled
    Untick Forward incoming mail
    Select the Changes button

If both of those check out ok and the email isn't in the Trash folder then check your devices to see if any are set up as default pop3 accounts that will download and delete the emails from the Inbox. Or they could be set up as pop3 accounts that never delete email which will cause the mailbox to fill up over time.

If you fail to find the cause quickly then please check your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add or amend if needed, then scroll down and add the email address in Private notes and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk email mailbox and check it over.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Chat Champion
mailbox not full
different senders involved … and not blocked
not auto-forwarded
not in trash folder
Highlighted
Community Star

...pop3 devices?  And have you checked if there's an error message when you send a test email from another email account under your control?

Address in Private notes?

The Team will check for corruption of the email account, run a repair job if needed and see if it can send and receive ok to and from a test account.

Highlighted
Chat Champion
Perhaps I need to clarify … I'm still receiving most (?) emails on my talktalk.net address … just that I know a number of important ones haven't been delivered anywhere … webmail, windows pc running Thunderbird, Motorola android phone. Same senders successfully can reach me on gmail.com address.
Highlighted
Community Star

Clarity is good. Does that mean the test email was received and most other emails are received?

Looking more like specific senders are Spam blocked. If lots of reports are made of Spam then Cloudmark blocking filters will be activated. 

Put the example sender addresses in Private notes so the admins can check them. 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

3 senders I know who sent emails which were not delivered are:
obscured for customer security
re pop3 devices I'll have to check the email setup of the various accounts before I can follow that up

Highlighted
Chat Champion
Oh, one other thing … I never get anything filed as spam … appearing on webmail, thunderbird or my mobile.
Years ago I used to get masses of spam … drugs, body enhancements, jewellery, Nigerian offers etc … nothing like that these days!
Highlighted
Community Star

I've deleted the email addresses from public view to avoid them being targeted by spammers or having their email addresses spoofed by spammers.

Please only put them in your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) in Private notes (with a note) at the bottom of the page and save changes.

Highlighted
Community Star

PS a quick check on the email domains comes up clear on the main spam block lists.

One of the reasons why unwanted spam is so much diminished is the use of the Cloudmark Authority Engine to fingerprint, recognise and block spam.

Highlighted
Community Manager - TT Staff

Hey imac999,

Can i ask have you reset your email password recently, if not can i suggest that you reset your email account password you can do this via myaccount and then reset and see how it goes after that. 

Thanks

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chat Champion
Have changed my email password a few minutes ago.
Missing emails have not appeared
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi imac999,

Do you know if the senders are getting a bounce back email when they send the emails to your address?

Chris