Did you mean: 
Need help?

homecall email has been hacked, need help asap please

9 REPLIES 9
Anthonyevs
Chatterbox

Hi Team

@OCE_Ady 

Is there any chance you could help me please.

I am a very old homecall customer, and still use the same homecall email domain.

My email has just been hacked into, and i need an urgent password change to regain control of my account. 

I am not a talk talk customer so cannot use a log in to sort it out. 

Any help or advice with this is greatly appreciated. 

I can supply an alternative email address to contact me or a home phone number that was linked to my homecall account, in case the scammers are intercepting my emails on the homecall account.

Thanks,

Anthony Evans.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Anthony

Ady's not online at present so I'll give you my thoughts and escalate for TalkTalk attention.

Noted that you're not a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband or MailPlus mail only customer so you should have a look at the help page About TalkTalk Mail Plus as this explains that to keep your homecall mailbox active either a broadband package is required or a subscription to MailPlus.

But first we should check that the mailbox is still active on the TalkTalk Mail platform.

Enter your homecall email address, select Continue.

Are you asked to enter your homecall email password? If redirected out to the homecall webmail sign in (http://webmail-legacy.homecall.co.uk/webmail?index=1) then that means your homecall email address is not recognised as being upgraded to TalkTalk Mail.

The mailbox may have missed being upgraded or may be deleted.

So, check to see if the mailbox is active. Enter the email address at this site, select the Validate button, complete the reCAPTCHA and select Validate again. Does the top line indicate Deliverable or something else?

If, when you try the TalkTalk Mail sign in you're asked for a password to match the homecall email address then let us know if you can sign in or if the password has been changed by the assumed hacker.  If you can sign in then select the mail settings menu and the menu item Update your reset details.

Try the Forgotten password button in the help page Changing your email password and let us know if you see an error message or if you get to the hints for options to send a password reset to the homecall mailbox itself, to an alternate email address or mobile phone number. If you have previously set up reset details (recovery email and or mobile) that you recognise from the hints then you can authorise a password change by sending a reset link to your recovery email or code (preferably) to your mobile number.

So, a bit of testing for you to do but do follow this through and let us know what happens at each stage so if there's still work to do we know how to follow through for you.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Anthonyevs
Chatterbox
Hi Gondola,

Many many thanks for your advice.
I was able to click the link and log into my emails via the talk talk link and change the password.
Now very relieved.

Your a star, and thank you very much with this problem, much appreciated.

Anthony.
Gondola
Community Star

Excellent work Anthony.

Just a follow up from me. If you don't know when or how the mailbox was compromised it's recommended to scan your email access devices to ensure no password grabbing virus, trojan or other malware is capturing the password. 

Stay safe and secure.

Anthonyevs
Chatterbox
ok will do, but one more query please.

As the hacker knows my email details, if he again tries to take control by

entering the email into the web login page, then ticking the forgot password box, and then talk talk sending him a reset code,
is there any way he can npw get that email code if he knows the settings for the domain.

If that is the case and maybe he could, by simply requesting a password reset, then maybe its time to delete the account.

Whats your thoughts on that scenario.

Thanks
Anthony.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Anthony

A prospective hacker may know your email address. But if you have set up Reset details then only you will receive a password reset link or code. 

Be aware that prospective hackers will target you with phishing or malware emails seeking personal information to facilitate the access to your email etc. 

Just keep your security software up-to-date, devices scanned and be alert to any unexpected email. 

Help with Phishing emails 

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Anthonyevs, Gondola is absolutely priceless wouldn't you say. Great help in a timely fashion. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Anthonyevs
Chatterbox
Yes, definately so, priceless.

It look like i need more help though.

Overnight the email account was hacked again, as the password was changed. The passowrd i had set was over 16 characters long and many combinations of characters.
So, I am at a loss, disheartened.
How is it that they could again gain control of my email account.

Ive again gone thro the reset stages and got a code text to me, and rese the password for another new one.
There are 3 options here,
1 send email to the account holder email address
2 send a text to a mobile
3 send a code to a seperate email address.

Sadly i cannot remove option 1 from the list and send code via only options 2 or 3.

Is this how they are still able to hack my email account by simply entering my email domain settings that they may have saved into their own computer?
I have done virus scan and malwarebyte scan, all was clear.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Anthony.

Anthonyevs
Chatterbox
@OCE_Ady

Any advice on what may have happened, or was it a glitch like all the other email enquiries today

Thanks.
OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Once you've changed the password they shouldn't be able to access your system again. 

You absolutely must run AntiVirus on every device you use for your email and you need to run an anti malware scan too. 

If the hacker got your password by using a trojan on your devices then that will be how they've got access again even after the password reset. A good antivirus and malware scanner will clear any potential threats. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.