would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

inbox suddenly empty? - email recovery/repair required

8 REPLIES 8
DM1986
First Timer

Hi,

I have just logged into my talktalk mail but my entire inbox is now empty?? The only email I now have available within the inbox is the "Welcome to TalkTalk Help & Support! You're almost done!" confirmation for joining the site to post this?

Folders I have created and the "sent objects", "SPAM" inboxes appear intact. Just the main inbox appears to have been erased.

Many Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @DM1986 

Has your mailbox just been upgraded to the new TalkTalk Mail platform? Everything gets copied over to the new mailbox so should be there when you sign in to TalkTalk Mail.

You say that all folders and messages are there except the messages that were in the Inbox.  If the emails were in a sub-folder of the Inbox then you may not see that unless you select Folder view from the View menu and select the arrow on the Inbox line to expand the Inbox to show sub-folders. 

The Inbox can be emptied when an email client or app set up for the default POP3 connection protocol connects to the mailbox and downloads all messages and then deletes them from the server.

First question is, are you aware of a device set to collect your emails and is it set up as a standard POP3 account? That's where the emails are.

In the event that there has been a copy error for a recent mailbox upgrade I'll alert the TalkTalk Community team for you.

In the meantime, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down and add the email address to Private notes and Save changes.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

DM1986
First Timer

The folders I refer to are important emails & this is seperate from my main inbox, not a sub folder system connected to the inbox. These are still there, its only the emails within my main inbox that are missing.

The emails that were within my "Inbox" are no longer there as stated in the subject field. Whereas when I signed in a few days ago there were hundreds. As far as I am aware I have been using the upgraded version (as in the the new style interface etc) for weeks now, so not sure thats the problem??

I have also updated the contents of my Community profile as requested

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @DM1986 

As the mail messages were there up to a few days ago and the TalkTalk Mail upgrade happened weeks ago then it's clearly not an upgrade copy glitch but we're back to considering how the emails get to disappear in the last few days.

Have you, in the last few days, connected up a new device or made changes to settings on an existing device that you're using to view your mail messages? 

If not you then I advise you to change your mailbox password straight away to secure your mailbox. 

Also worth checking for unauthorised mail auto forwarding - Menu > Settings > Mail / Email > Auto Forward

And double-check that the Reset details haven't been changed - Menu > Update your reset details

DM1986
First Timer

I have not made any setup changes etc. The only thing I can think of is that I tried to view emails via my mobile iphone device. Before I signed in, there was a message displayed advising the browser was not supported, however I was still able to access my email inbox, and although it was a challenge to navigate around via my phone, messages were there.

I have actioned the two points you advised.

I am guessing there is no way to recover the missing emails?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi DM1986 

Viewing TalkTalk Mail via the iPhone browser is ok as that connects as an IMAP client and does not automatically delete messages from the mailbox unless the user swipes to delete or selects messages for deletion. Unfortunately swiping left to delete is all too easy to do. 

Deleted messages are sent to the Trash folder so don't get deleted straight away. Have a look in the Trash folder to see if messages have been inadvertently sent there.

There is also an Archive feature and folder. Older messages in folders can be marked for archiving so worth checking in the year by year Archive sub-folders. 

The worst case scenario is messages have been downloaded and deleted from the server. Regrettably, TalkTalk do not offer a backup service. 

DM1986
First Timer

Yes that is true, but deleting hundreds of messages via that method is highly unlikely & if that had occurred, as you said, these would have then only been moved to my trash.

There are no items in my trash & also nothing in archive, or year by year sub folders for archiving. I am at a bit of a loss on how this has happened. But guess its a good a reason as any to move away from talktalk mail, if this kind of thing can happen unexpectedly with no resolution available.

Downloaded and deleted from server? Who would have actioned this? is this going down the "your account has been compromised" avenue? I am fairly certain this has NOT happened.

Gondola
Community Star

...A POP3 mail client connecting and downloading is something that can happen.  Just saying that the symptoms as described do match that situation. 

Best to wait for the TalkTalk Community team to pick up on this tomorrow and raise a fault ticket so it can be investigated.  Their sign in logs will show what's happened.  They can also run a repair job if it looks like the Inbox is corrupted.  

In the meantime, you've changed the password and checked out the account and nothing obvious shows up? 

As a marker, sign in to TalkTalk Mail and send a message to the same email address. i.e. send yourself an email. I assume the mailbox is also receiving all of these notifications of these posts and they're staying put?  Check back tomorrow to have another look. 

Community Team

Hi DM1986, I'm afraid if you've not got an old device that might have picked up the mail then your mail is gone for good. I can't raise a ticket for missing mail, well I can but it'll bounce straight back. I can raise a ticket for compromised account but you say you don't think that's the problem. 9 out of 10 of this issue are a rogue device given to friends or relatives that still has POP setup on it, next would be mail forward which you've also checked on and we don't offer mail backup as Gondola has said.