cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

smtp.tiscali.co.uk unable to send from windows live mail

13 REPLIES 13
Popular Poster

I have just started receiving an error message when trying to send emails from windows live mail via smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Server Response: 453 4.1.1 QWjkjJJgSltwL Too Many Recipients (TT502)
Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC79
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): Yes

I am still receiving messages to windows live mail. I have logged into webmail and I can still send emails from that. I cannot see any sign of suspicious activity, but I have changed my account password just in case.

Do you know why this is happening, and how it can be fixed?

Community Star

Hi @stuart_watson 

Try again later.  TT502 is the normal residential email protection against possible spam senders.

If you're sending from the TalkTalk network then there are sending limit guidelines of typically 50 email recipients per hour or 500 per day. Sending limits apply to sending from the UK only and could be substantially lower when sending from other networks, UK or overseas.

The error message indicates your email account sending has exceeded the daily sending limit. Do you think your usage, if sending from the TalkTalk network, has exceeded 500 recipients over the last 24 hours?

You'll need to wait 24 hours after the last successful send for the daily counter to be fully reset but it'll probably allow limited sending in a shorter timeframe.

So, the fix is to try tomorrow (late afternoon) and sending will definitely be successful. Unless your mailbox is compromised and being used by unauthorised persons.  The password change will lock out a hacker.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Popular Poster

Actually the same problem has just occurred with webmail.

Community Star

...Try again later.

Much later.

Popular Poster

24 hours on it appears that I can now send messages from my webmail account, but I am still getting the same error message when I attempt to send from Windows Live Mail using smtp.tiscali.co.uk - any ideas?

Thanks

Stuart

Community Star

Hi stuart_watson 

Possible you've got emails in the outbox still trying to be sent and if they're group mail messages to multiple recipients and just one of the addresses cannot be delivered then the whole group might fail sending and be queued for retrys.  Every time that happens the recipient count goes up by the group send total.

Just check also for the mail account in question on the servers tab that the outgoing server is ticked for 'my server requires authentication' and check that the username (email address) and password is added to the outgoing server credentials.   

Popular Poster

After sending about three emails successfully I am now getting the error message for webmail too.

There is nothing in the outbox. I cleared that and I wasn't trying to send to a large number of recipients anyway. I haven't been sending large numbers of emails to multiple recipients anyway (no more than a dozen or so a day and usually not to more than two or three people).

On the outgoing mail server tab 'my server requires authentication' is checked and the username and email address are added to the outgoing server credentials. On that tab "use same settings as my incoming mail server" and "log on using secure password authentication" are unchecked.

Community Star

Hi stuart_watson 

The settings you've mentioned are spot on. 

I mentioned at the end of post 2 about changing the mailbox password if we thought the mailbox was compromised. I know you've looked for suspicious activity and changed the password already.

I suggest that now is the time for a good anti virus and anti malware sweep and an ultra-strong password change.

There's nothing relevant that you haven't mentioned yet? Like not being connected to the TalkTalk network or using a VPN hosted outside the UK?

Popular Poster

I already changed the password again today to make it even stronger. I will run a Norton sweep just in case, though it hasn't alerted me to anything recently.

I'm not using a VPN outside the UK. Talk Talk is no longer my broadband provider, although it was for many years. However, I changed provider in August 2019 and there has been no problem with the email sever until the latest problem emerged on Sunday afternoon.

Community Star

Hi stuart_watson 

Assuming there's no unauthorised activity direct from your mailbox then you're being rate limited for a different reason. Either the TalkTalk server is rate limiting all connections from your service provider or your IP address has been used to send spam so its being rate limited or your email address is being spoofed and that's been detected.

I expect you'd have mentioned receiving mailer-daemon bounceback error messages that would be expected in the case of spoofing by others unknown to send spam?

Compromised or spoofed accounts 

Popular Poster
No, nothing like that, I'm afraid.
Community Star

Hi stuart_watson 

You're not connected to a full fibre network by any chance?  I have seen, in the past, some mail users unexpectedly rate limited when they moved to an alternative full fibre network provider.

Popular Poster

I am, actually, so that could have something to do with it, except that being the case I would have expected the difficulty to crop up when I switched networks seven months ago. However, the good news is that the problem appears to have been temporary and has spontaneously resolved itself this evening without any further action on my part. I can now send emails without receiving the error message. Thanks for your advice, anyway.

Community Star

Hi stuart_watson 

The rate limiting issue may just have been applied temporarily if the system detected an unusually high level of suspected spam incoming from your network provider.

If you'd like to PM me the name of your network provider I'd appreciate that so I can keep an eye on any future inter-network rate limiting.