Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

86 year old father's EMAIL HAS BEEN HACKED and can no longer access

6 REPLIES 6
BOMBERHARRIS1
First Timer

The problem seemed to begin with his Facebook account being hacked. 

Then he realised he hadn't received any emails for a few days... and that there were emails sitting in his Outbox that hadn't sent. 

He'd been 'signed out' of his account on Apple Mail on his Mac, and couldn't sign back in. When he tried to recover his account, using his correct password, he got caught in the loop of no return. 

Same thing happened on Facebook, where a 'recovery' email account was ****tom@***... which is NOT my father's account, but does look suspiciously like Peeping Tom. 

He's set up a new email account now (with a different provider) and we're going through the laborious process of changing all his online accounts (eBay, Paypal, Amazon etc etc). 

Does anyone have any advice about what we should do now? Currently, we assume his old account is still functioning and that whoever has hacked it is able to read his emails and use his account. 

Thank you!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @BOMBERHARRIS1 

The first thing is to change the mailbox password to secure the email account. Changing your email password is the help guide.

Is your father a TalkTalk Broadband or Mail Plus customer and if so is the mailbox email address listed in MyAccount in the Manage TalkTalk Mail section?  There he'll have the option of permanently deleting the mailbox but first it's worth trying to recover access.

Let us know if he can sign in to TalkTalk Mail - assuming the email address is on the TalkTalk Mail platform.

When he does get access via the TalkTalk Mail sign in he should check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting mail messages.  Possibly there is which is why no mail was received.

Main Settings menu (triple line icon top right header - mobile browser? use the desktop version) > Settings > Select the arrow by Mail / Email in the side panel > select Auto forward - untick Enable > go back to the side panel and select Filter rules - if there are any select Disable.

Password Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email and or mobile number can receive a password reset. Please ask him to try the Forgotten your Password? option. Enter the email address, complete the reCAPTCHA security and select Continue. If there's an alternate email address or mobile number shown that he definitely recognises from the hints, and has access to, then please select one to send a password reset.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

BOMBERHARRIS1
First Timer

Hi Gondola

Thank you so much for your speedy response. 

Unfortunately, the recovery email address had been changed to something Dad didn't recognised (not an email address associated with him) and he can't access his tiscali address to recover his account. He hadn't attached a phone number to the account either (a mistake we are now rectifying in other areas!). 

My brother phoned the Talktalk helpline on Tuesday, who said a service engineer would call back in 48-72 hours, but nobody has called yet. To be honest, my father is worried about speaking on the phone as he is profoundly deaf and struggles to understand what's being said. He feels this makes him vulnerable to scammers (which is probably quite true!). 

Thank you for your ongoing support.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi BOMBERHARRIS1 

The indications are that the tiscali mailbox has indeed been compromised so new Reset details need to be set up to allow your father to set up a new ultra strong password to recover access and to check that auto-forwarding and filter rules are all disabled.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password reset options aren't available. A TT Staff member will verify your father as the registered email user and set up Reset details so he can get the password changed.

To proceed, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current landline and mobile contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the tiscali email address along with your father's details and Save changes.

If you're named on your father's account as a nominated user it'll be easier but heads up that if not then TalkTalk may ask your father to register with Community so that personal data protection rules are observed.

If your father doesn't know how the password came to be discovered I'd suggest scanning his email devices to remove any viruses and malware before changing any password.

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

BOMBERHARRIS1
First Timer

Thank you. I've completed the details for myself. What happens now?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi

A TalkTalk Staff member will reply here, hopefully on Monday, and then Community Personal Message you to verify the mail user credentials.

When verified, the new Reset details will be set up within 48 hours allowing your father to set a new password via the Forgotten your Password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox.

In the meantime if there's no knowledge of how the password came to be discovered I'd suggest doing the scanning of devices for viruses and malware before changing any password just to ensure there's no malware capturing passwords.

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi BOMBERHARRIS1, if he's already left TalkTalk you can just delete the email address from MyAccount and theat will take the mailbox down permanently.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.