email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access old email Tiscali.co.uk email account as Executor of Estate for relative who passed away

andy117
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

I don't have the password but really need to access old emails sent/received for the purposes of Administration of the Estate as Executor.

I've phoned customer support but they say they dont have the former home phone number listed (no longer active) or postcode registered.

Really hoping that someone/Technical support can help please?

I can of course provide proof of ID, the email address, Probate etc.

Thanks!

Andy

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi Andy, if you haven't already contacted the bereavement team they would be your first point of contact. You'll need Power Of Attorney to make any changes to the account otherwise we'd find ourselves in deep trouble for breaching data protection with GDPR.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 6

Here's an extract from Microsoft's website:

Microsoft must first be formally served with a valid subpoena or court order to consider whether it is able to lawfully release a deceased or incapacitated user’s information regarding a personal email account...Any decision to provide the contents of a personal email or cloud storage account will be made only after careful review and consideration of applicable laws. Please understand that Microsoft may be unable to provide the account content, and sending a request or providing a subpoena or court order does not guarantee that we will be able to assist you.

Quote reference here

@andy117 wrote:...Microsoft offer a good support service to access emails (Outlook, hotmail) of old accounts of loved ones...

Via an application to a Court that would first have to find good reason to override the UK Data Protection laws.

Perhaps the best advice I can give you is to get legal advice on your role as Executor.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Gondola
Community Star
Message 3 of 6

TalkTalk abide by the UK Data Protection laws.

You didn't say what the result was when using Verifalia.  Did it say "Undeliverable" or "Deliverable".

Message 4 of 6

Thanks Gondola. Microsoft offer a good support service to access emails (Outlook, hotmail) of old accounts of loved ones and have an online form to fill/upload ID, details etc, so was hoping TalkTalk might do the same.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi Andy

Sorry to learn of your loss. The possibly unwelcome news is that the UK data protection laws do not allow anyone, including the executor of an estate, to have access to the personal mail messages of another person even after that individual passing.  The reasoning is that an individual has the right to keep their personal mail messages out of sight.

You'll not need the email address or mailbox contents to interact with any institution for the purpose of completing your duties.

Is the email address still active anyway? What happens when you enter the email address at this website: Verifalia Select to see if an address is Deliverable.