email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Pipex email hack

Mar-lis
Popular Poster
Message 25 of 25

I have two pipex email accounts which have been compromised in line with recents posts on the subject.  I need, therefore, to change my passwords on both.  Can you help please?  I have completed the required information in my "private notes" and included an alternative email address.  Your urgent assistance would be appreciated.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

You're welcome.  I got in touch with the team to make sure you got the passwords today so I'm delighted that it worked out ok.

If your security regime is strong then your details will remain secure.

Scammers can still send you these spoofed emails as they know your email address so just remain cool, delete and don't respond. They'll eventually drop you from their scam attempts.

Enjoy a long weekend.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Hi Gondola

Passwords have now been changed successfully so thank you for all the chasing. I will monitor the accounts for a few days and if there is another offending email I will ask you to suspend the accounts.  Thank you also for the good and focused information you have provided.

Mar-lis

Message 4 of 25

That's fine - thank you

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

...the Pipex admin team receives authorisation from TalkTalk to change the password after TalkTalk verifies your personal data. The Pipex admins change the password, check that it works, and the new password is then handed over to you person to person only on your mobile number and only after you passing a security check.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Thank you Gondola.  I do understand that you have done what you can to initiate the change and I appreciate that.  Can you please tell me what to expect since we do not enjoy great coverage.  Are the passwords sent unreferenced by text or do we actually speak to someone?  Another question is on the sequence.  Are the passwords changed first and then communicated or is it the other way round?  In our circumstances it is best to change the passwords first. As it stands at the moment the old passwords are still active.

Mar-lis

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

...I didn't reply because I'd hoped that the re-escalation would be sufficient. The passwords should have been with you 5 days ago. I've re-escalated for the 3rd time hoping that the OCE's will pick this up and make sure you do get the passwords.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

Hi Gondola

I am surprised that there was no reply to my last post. Yet another day has passed without action and offending emails continue to come into my inbox. What is the problem in initiating the password changes and suspending my accounts?   We are now into the 7th working day.  I am an older person and find this episode distressing.  I am sure this is not an image of customer service which the TalkTalk Community would wish to portray.  What do I have to do to get some action?

Mar-lis

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

Good morning Gondola

This is really not looking good.  Another day has passed without action - no phone call and I can still access my accounts with my old passwords.  It is now a full week since I raised the issue and a ticket was raised.  We are now into the 6th working day.  Please expedite the password changes, inform me and suspend both accounts.

Thank you

Mar-lis

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Sorry to see that the password handover didn't go according to the previous plan. I've re-escalated to the TalkTalk Community Team to arrange the all important call for you.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Hi Gondola

No phone call today about my change of passwords so please re-escalate

Thanks

Mar-lis

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Hi Gondola

Thank you for the clarification -  a very helpful response.

Mar-lis

Message 14 of 25

Hi @Mar-lis

Hopefully you'll be contacted on your mobile today with the passwords. If for any reason the contact doesn't happen then post back this evening and I'll re-escalate to the TalkTalk Community Team to chase.

As you mentioned me and as Ady is on holiday leave I hope it's ok that I'm replying about the suspension. As Ady said, a really strong password is the best defence so long as the rest of your security regime keeps that password safe and secure. 

An account being suspended means that it cannot be used by anyone. It neither sends or receives emails.  A sender will usually get a bounceback indicating the account does not exist. Except it does still hold old emails and contacts and can be recovered by the registered owner up to the point of 180 days of non-use when the system flags contents for deletion.  The system will then auto-delete the user contents during the next up to 180 days.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 25

Good morning OCE_Ady

As requested I am sending a reminder to chase the change in my passwords since nothing has happened yet.

With respect to your answer on closing the account I confess to being mystified.  It is my account after all and my personal information has been validated.  It is surely my right to decide what happens to it.

I understand that it is also possible to suspend an account since I noted the following extract in an earlier post by Gondola:-

"However, it's not a problem to change that to a suspension of the email account so nobody can use it. The account will not be deleted just yet and TalkTalk are not permitted to delete it. However, by putting the account into suspension will make it inactive.  After 180 days the system will flag it for deletion for non-use and then after a year the system will totally delete all contents."

Could you please clarify what suspension means in practice.  Will, for example, all incoming emails be blocked?

Many thanks for your attention

Mar-lis

0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

I'm afraid we can't do that for you. Changing the password will make the account safe.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

OK but what about my other question about closing down the account completely?

Mar-lis

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 25

I had hoped it would be done today. It seems we'll have to chase it on Monday for you.  Please post back to chase us on Monday. 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

Hi   

I have seen no action on my password changes yet so would be grateful if you could chase.  In the meantime there has been another email variant of the original message.  My suspicion is that the messages will continue, irrespective of password changes, until the group sending them is taken down.  How do we go about closing down the accounts completely?

Mar-lis

0 Likes

Message 20 of 25

You're most welcome. 

0 Likes