email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are lineone.net emails doomed?

AFSBA
Participant
Message 12 of 12

I am the long-time proud owner of a lineone.net email address, and everything has been working fine through the Tiscali and TalkTalk takeovers. However I'm now starting to experience occasional problems. I am not a customer of TalkTalk, because it has never been necessary in order to get my emails. Is there some arrangement TalkTalk can make with people in my situation to guarantee continuity of lineone emails and full access to lineone webmail - if only while we make alternative arrrangements? Some clarity from on high would be helpful. 

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Colinm534
First Timer
Message 1 of 12

My Lineone.net email address got removed some time ago, without any notification to me. We had some computers stolen and I tried to change my password but was told I could not as I no longer had a TalkTalk account. Subsequently I was unable to access the account, I have no idea whether it was compromised or not and TalkTalk would not help as I did not have a TalkTalk account. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

I can’t access my lineone emails and haven’t been able to since Tuesday. According to the talktalk status page it is a known problem and engineers are working to solve the problem. The last update was issued at 12:30 pm today, Friday 5th April.

I’ve just heard that no further action will occur on this issue until Monday. This is pretty sad and a poor response from Talk Talk as my lineone account is my main email known to many friends, colleagues and business contacts. I’ve been a lineone user for many many years. I’ve not picked up any emails since Tuesday. Not very happy about this sad state of affairs.

Simonch
0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

What has happened to my lineone e-mail account. The TALKTALK servers will not recognise my password. I have reported it 3 times to TalkTalk and all I get is that it could take up to 48 hours for the new password to be recognised. Time up and no difference - can't get on to my webmail. I use to work in IT before retiring and it would seem that TalkTalk have serious server problems and will not publically admit. Anyone else having problems with their lineone.net email address???

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hi mikeyar

@mikeyar wrote: ...So, 2019 may be the year to end a long standing association with a legacy address e.g. lineone or pipex. Look back on it with nostalgia and fondness but move on to a new beginning and, perhaps, an independent of supplier address whilst retaining a TT.net address for 'My Account'

A few thoughts from me - because there's no need to end the use of a legacy TalkTalk email address as it will be upgraded to the new secure TalkTalk Mail platform and the legacy hardware will be decommissioned. In due time all TalkTalk managed email domains will be on the new mail platform. Better options for secure email and the user ability to keep password and password recovery options updated.

Of course there are reasons to end using a TalkTalk managed email address - if it becomes:

• Chargeable if you're not a TalkTalk broadband customer
  • Known to spammers / scammers / unwanted marketeers
  • Compromised

I always recommend the use of an ISP independent email service in addition to an ISP service. Either as a main email service or backup and preferably where you sign in using two-factor authentication. I never give out my main email address as I prefer to use disposable email addresses. I easily disposed of the one I used for Adobe when I found Adobe had been the subject of a data breach. Minimal fuss.  It's a pity that TalkTalk doesn't offer the same features. 

I use a non TalkTalk disposable email address as my MyAccount login because I believe it offers better security than the TalkTalk.net option. That's because the TalkTalk.net email password becomes the MyAccount login password. If the email account was compromised the MyAccount would be vulnerable as would all of the email accounts linked to the MyAccount. I can only hope that this security issue is dealt with.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

As a long standing TT customer (tinyonline through tiscali and eventually TT.net) I find this thread, so far, both a constructive and informative viewpoint from both sides concerning legacy email and convergance and maintenance of the many DNS mail servers out here now under the TT umbrella.

I can appreciate it is a bit of a nightmare for TT but that is the price paid for growth in the customer base through acquisition. I asked myself, out of some 200 personal contacts sending me mail, how many had a TT.net email address (or any of the many legacy types appearing on this forum) - the answer was none.

So, 2019 may be the year to end a long standing association with a legacy address e.g. lineone or pipex. Look back on it with nostalgia and fondness but move on to a new beginning and, perhaps, an independent of supplier address whilst retaining a TT.net address for 'My Account'

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Very interested to have caught up with this message. Is there a timescale for the transfer of these domains to the new platform?  Weeks, months, years?

David W
0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

The old domains are here to stay. When the new platform comes in every domain will have the same look, the same features and the same functionality. We take our commitments very seriously and significant investment has gone into the new platform. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

The points you make are fully understood. Us rarer domains must be an unwelcome legacy of your commercial success. As we know, modern technology makes it very easy these days to open new email addresses, etc. However the problem with having an old email address is compounded the longer one has it - so many people and organisations have it, so the idea of changing increasingly becomes a mental block. What about using this situation to your advantage by offering all the rarer domains a free TalkTalk email account for a year, with advice on how to set up an email forwarding system from the old to the new email addresses? At the end of the year you close the old email and the customer either becomes a new, paying customer of TalkTalk or moves elswhere. There could be a win-win here for you - getting rid of all the old domains and at the same time gaining some new customers. For our part, you would be helping us face the inevitable in a positive and acceptable way. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

I think what happens is that whenever there's an issue everyone assumes or is sometimes told by frontline support that we've stopped supporting the domain or domains. It's never true. If we were going to do that you'd get at least 30 days notice but more likely 90 days notice to allow you to prepare. The biggest problem and cause of many problems is that we inherited the rarer domains and they don't run on the main platform and the platforms they do run on are ancient. We work very hard to keep everything running well and give every mailbox an equal level of support and no domain is treated as less important. Sometimes the lack of numbers of customers using a domain can restrict the priority of the fault but that is purely down to numbers not the specifics of the domain. If you ever have a problem come here and we'll help you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 12

Thank you; that's encouraging and something of a relief. Although I had no official advice, having seen the problems of other lineone-ers on their online posts I had formed the view that we were becoming redundant. It's good to hear that is not the case. I'll log in regularly to my webmail as advised. Kind regards.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 12

Hi AFSBA, although I'm not on high. I am involved in the new mail projects etc. There are no plans and never been any mention of plans to get rid of any domain. There's no issue with you keeping the domain as long as you log into webmail on say a monthly basis to ensure our servers see the connections coming in. There will be some minor changes coming in when we get the new platform launched but you will be able to continue using your email address. Have you been advised otherwise?

0 Likes