email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-forward not working after creating new primary address

fade2gray
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 11

After requesting a PAC code via online chat I became frustrated after not receiving the chat transcript and code.

I checked to make sure the settings were correct, ticked the previously unchecked 'Keep a copy of forwarded messages' and went through the online chat proccess again.

Sure enough, the chat transcipt and PAC code arrived TT webmail inbox but both were accompanied by a sytem generated error message...

Transcipt email error message: "The following message to [my forwarding address] was undeliverable.The reason for the problem:  550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from talktalkplc.com is not accepted due to [nothing after this]"

PAC code email error: "The following message to [my forwarding address] was undeliverable.The reason for the problem:  550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from talktalkgroup.com is not accepted due to [nothing after this]"

Those emails can be forwarded manually - they just wouldn't auto-forward - and there is no problem with TT marketing and other emails being forwarded.

Can this be looked into please.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Gondola
Community Star
Message 2 of 11

Hi @fade2gray

What you're getting is a permanent failure where the receiving server is looking at the email header and rejecting the email because of a 'mismatch' in the Sending Address and Account Name.  It does this as a spam protection measure.

• Settings > Mail > Scroll down to Mail Account Settings
  • Select the Account that you're forwarding from
  • Click Edit
  • Make sure the 'Account Name' (top box) is the same as the Account you've just selected
  • Copy the address into the (lower) Reply-to box
  • Add your name as the Email name in the middle box
  • Click Save

Now the receiving email server will get email forwarded by the same 'Account Name' and will accept it.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Give Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Thanks for that - I've done as suggested and will put it to the test when the online chat team are awake tomorrow.

Just an fyi - the new primary address is @talktalk.net whereas the old one was @Tiscali.co.uk which doesn't have a reply to address in settings and never had problems with chat transcripts being rejected by the same fowarding address.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Still no joy - tried another chat session but auto-forwarding the transcript got blocked again.

This is my old, problem free, Tiscali (former primary) address settings -

Account Name: my_tiscali_id

Email Name: my_tiscali_id@tiscali.co.uk

Reply-to: [empty field]

This was the default settings for my new TT primary address -

Account Name: my_tt_id@talktalk.net

Email Name: my_tt_id@talktalk.net

Reply-to: [empty field until adding my_tt_id@talktalk.net as suggested]

I can PM you an unredacted screenshot of the settings if necessary.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi @fade2gray

So, if you get the email transcript sent to the talktalk.net email address and log into the talktalk.net webmail and that account is set up:

• Account Name: my_tt_id@talktalk.net

• Email Name: fade2grey

• Reply-to: my_tt_id@talktalk.net

And the auto-forward is from the talktalk.net email account... I can't see why that would fail.

But if it does then I'll escalate to OCE_Ady to have a look at the account. He'll be able to look at the settings which is something we cannot do from here.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Well, I wouldn't set the Email Name as fade2grey - maybe fade2gray emoticon.tongue.title

Are you saying that Email Name can be anything - as I mentioned, the default entry when I created the address was the same as for Account Name - my_tt_id@talktalk.net - so I could just change it to my real name?

Addendum: not forgetting that said TT email address has no problems forwarding other emails

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi @fade2gray

I'm now a shade of red... yes, the Account name is the full email address of the sending email account, the Reply-to must also be a full email address but can be a different email account. The Email Name is a friendly name so you can use your real name or alias.  That bit doesn't get checked by the recipient email server.

What does get checked is the Account name or full email address of the sending email account. If the Account name doesn't match to the email service or network you're sending from then it can get flagged as unauthenticated.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hmm... "yes, the Account name is the full email address of the sending email account" sounds a little contradictory, especially as in the settings for the perfectly working old Tiscali address, the entry for Account Name is not a full email address - just the bit before the @Tiscali.co.uk part.

Is it possible to have this escalated?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Hi @fade2gray

Escalated into the OCE workflow. I expect OCE_Ady will pick this up tomorrow assuming he's scheduled to be working.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 11

Hi fade2gray, I've double checked your settings and all is well. I've run a repair on the mailbox. If that doesn't clear the problem, I'll have to raise a fault ticket for you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 11

It can be a little difficult trying to explain to a live chat team member that all you need is a transcipt of the current session, and I don't want to appear rude by just hanging-up on them - got there eventually 🙂

But no luck, auto-forwarding of chat transcripts are still being blocked by gmail.

0 Likes