email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitcoin and Money News spam

gld73
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 12

I have broadband with TalkTalk and my email is an old Tiscali one, taken over by TalkTalk. It's an email account I only use for very limited purposes (e.g. bank contact), so for years never had any problems with spam as it's not an email I entered anywhere not secure, and not anything with a name or word in it which would make it guessable as someone's email (I know that's not infallible, but it kept me spam-free on that account for the last 10 years!). 

However, since TalkTalk changed it to the new format on webmail this year, I now get about 5 to 10 spam emails a day from Bitcoin and Money News. I keep labelling them as spam, as will everyone else, but TalkTalk doesn't seem to be doing anything to filter them out. I've never replied to them, but I seem to be getting more and more.

If I've marked hundreds of these email as spam, how come TalkTalk's email system still doesn't recognise them as spam? It shouldn't require every customer to deal with it separately when it's so obviously junk.  Other people have had the same problem looking at this forum, so it seems crazy nothing has been done to improve it.

11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

That's right. Many millions of mails are rejected every week without ever hitting an inbox. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

I fully appreciate that TT Webmail exercises command and control over its many email domains through its use of the Cloudmark spam marking and filter rules app. However, if we use a client it would appear from your comment that we'd have no knowledge of incoming mail that is positioned as spam by Cloudmark, as the server side application, unless we also frequently access TT Webmail.

Therefore can you clarify the situation (once and for all) that if Cloudmark fingerprints an incoming mail as spam (i.e. server side) it will never be downloaded to a customer using a client regardless of whether IMAP or POP3. If that is the case then any antispam add-in on the user's PC would be irrelevant. What we don't see nullifies any need for action.

Of course, for mail that does get through to the client but may still be considered spam by the user we can still exercise local control through a preferred add-in to the email client.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 12

TalkTalk only provide webmail if you use a mail client and you don't use webmail then you'll need to use mail filters setup in webmail to block the senders and then you'll no longer need to mark them as spam. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

AldridgeAndy
Super Duper Contributor
Message 4 of 12
Just for clarity for myself and many others out there who choose to use their devices own imap email clients and rarely touch the webmail interface, moving spam email into the junk email folder has no effect whatsoever in preventing repeated junk/spam emails?

In my case I use my IOS devices mail apps and a Microsoft email app on my PC. My mom only uses the standard mail app on her mobile phone and receives tons of "Bitcoin" and "Russian Ladies" emails and I keep advising her to move them in to Spam, which I am now guessing is a total waste of time?
0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

"Our system will still continue to block mail before it ever makes it to your mailbox and then you've got the additional level of filtering in your client".

I think the comment should be amended as it is not TT's system it is a Cloudmark system. I suspect as many TT customers use clients we don't have an input to marking or unmarking spam and whilst I can't disagree that Cloudmark will block mail it doesn't take account of false positives that is causing problems to some users and  mentioned many times elsewhere on this forum. In other words Cloudmark has become the ultimate arbiter in deciding which mails reach your inbox and which don't. There exists no opt-out for customers using an email client. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi @mikeyar 

This could be in line with what @Ady-TalkTalk has said today, I cannot be certain. However, I deleted the contents of my Junk folder within Thunderbird a couple of days ago & unlike normal &

I have had none of these unwanted emails since. Of course, I might just be talking too soon...

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 12

Hi mikeyar, there's certainly noone going to argue with your choices. You're perfectly entitled to choose how you filter your mail. Our system will still continue to block mail before it ever makes it to your mailbox and then you've got the additional level of filtering in your client.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

The effectiveness of Cloudmark when applied to Talktalk's email service is built on a false premise. From comments on this forum we have learnt that Cloudmark's ability to filter obvious spam is dependent on customer interaction i.e marking or rules devised by the customer. Another negative factor is that if you use a client you are not afforded the ability to mark as marking is only applicable to TT's webmail application.

So, lets consider where Talktalk stands as a customer of Cloudmark? If we assume that half of TT's 4 million customers use its webmail and half use a client (either using a TT email address) then the approximate 2 million customers could, in theory, mark Bitcoin and Russian lovelies as obvious spam and hopefully engender some action by the Cloudmark engine.

Therefore the first question is what proportion of  users 'mark' and and/or devise many filters and how many just delete having grown weary of the process since the introduction of TT's new webmail. Secondly, how many client users are now not involved in the marking process? We might also want to consider our impact on Cloudmark's learning process. There are approximately 4 billion email users around the globe and 1.5 million of those are gmail accounts. Of course, gmail doesn't rely on Cloudmark preferring instead to use its 'own' systems.

In conclusion, the input to the Cloudmark fingerprinting engine by TT webmail users is probably minimal in the global scheme of things. It seems that TT addresses are seen as a soft touch by spammers and marketeers and the number of users 'marking' is potentially so small that Cloudmark doesn't know we exist!

I use a client with antispam add-in and prefer to stop spam at my front door rather than wait for the Cloudmark engine to make up its mind. 

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 12

Hi all, I raised this to the business a while back. I've had confirmation that mail filtering system Cloudmark needs the emails to be marked as spam by each affected user as often as the mails arrive in webmail it will then learn far quicker good from bad. There's no shortcut for this.

Nettles
Participant
Message 10 of 12

I agree, @gld73 .  It's getting ridiculous now, and it's not just Bitcoin and Money News.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

I get these too, I use Thunderbird which has very good adaptive spam handling.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?