email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change password - I've moved from TalkTalk Everyone to Business

Oneteluser
Popular Poster
Message 18 of 18

My email address & password have been seen for sale on the internet so I need to change password. 

However, after several hours of online chat and telephone support, it turns out that I can't access  'change password' my 'Mail' page on TalkTalk for Everyone (where onetel accounts are held) because I changed my account to TalkTalk Business a few years ago, and they don't deal with the old domestic onetel email accounts.

My phone number and account number are now registered to the Business side, which means that I'm unable to register to TalkTalk for Everyone in order access my onetel account to (urgently!) change my password. 

Please could someone help me to contact onetel. 

By the way, I have emailed abuse.ttb@talktalkplc.com to inform them of the potential compromising of my account but had no reply after 24hrs. 

I thought I was reasonably intelligent until IT came along and made me feel totally stupid!
0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

I have just had another thought. 

If the password change can't be done quickly, is there a way that all access to this email account can be suspended, with messages being diverted to another email address? 

Thanks

I thought I was reasonably intelligent until IT came along and made me feel totally stupid!
0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi OCE_Ady

Thank you for your message. 

I'm not sure I understand. You say that you agree with Gondola, but I thought that meant that TalkTalk would be contacting me today to verify me and my TalkTalk account and to then undertake the password change process during a call to me on my mobile. 

It's therefore a bit of a bolt-out-of-the-blue to now be told that it's potentially a very risky process that could take up to a week. 

To reiterate, I am meanwhile extremely concerned about my email address and password having potentially been compromised after I received a security alert from Experian. 

I would be very grateful if you could guide me to the quickest route of protecting my email account please. 

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi Oneteluser, everything Gondola has said is true. I honestly don't think it would be the best thing to right now. It can take 7 days to get a Onetel password reset and if it changes midway through the migation that would cause you more trouble than it's worth.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 18

Brilliant! 

Thank you. 

I've updated the profile info now and I will keep an eye open for that contact from the Community Team Member. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Escalated.

You'll get a response right here from a TT Staff member, hopefully tomorrow.

To proceed, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current landline and mobile contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the onetel email address and Save changes.

A TalkTalk Community Team member will reply here and then Community Personal Message you to verify you as the mail user; so be prepared to provide on request to TT Staff only:

• Email address affected
  • Your Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Landline 'phone number and Full postal address linked to the email address when first registered
  • Include Reset details - an active alternate email address and (optionally) a mobile number to receive a password reset link or code.

When you're verified either the team will call on your mobile to run through security and give you a new password OR the Reset details will be set up within 48 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your Password journey ready for the upgrade.

Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox.

If you don't know how the password came to be discovered I'd suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Message 6 of 18

That would be incredibly helpful! 

So, yes, I'd be very grateful if you could do that please. 

I can't thank you enough for what you're doing for me.

Message 7 of 18

Yes, perfectly possible via the password recovery reset details I'd outlined earlier.

Would you like me to escalate this to TalkTalk to at least get a view on timescales and indeed whether it's possible to get a password change during the upgrade process?

Message 8 of 18

Quick question. 

If TalkTalk were to give me their password, presumably I'd be able to change it to one of my choice afterwards - or is that not possible? 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Thank you again Gondola. 

I did warn you that I'm useless at computer stuff - so I really appreciate your patience. 

I won't use the @ any more after this. 

All the best. 

John

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Sorry @Gondola - just a quick update. 

I have just tried the TalkTalk login by entering my email address but it's still directing me to the old Horde::Login page. 

As you say my changeover is in the pipeline, presumably I just need to keep trying every day or so and it will eventually automatically direct me to TalkTalk Mail in due course?

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi Oneteluser 

The @ in front of the username sends the member a notification. It's not really necessary in a reply when a member is already following a thread but is useful to draw a member's attention to a thread that the member may not be following.

Anyway, that's the housekeeping done for today... back to business!

Yes, keep trying the TalkTalk Mail login, so long as you're happy to do so.

If you can still sign in to the Horde webmail you'll receive a mail message when the upgrade is complete.  The alternative is that I escalate this thread to TalkTalk to see if they think it's possible to get a password change through faster than waiting on the upgrade.  The benefit of waiting is that you can choose your own password rather than get a computer generated random password that's ultra strong but probably not very memorable.

Message 12 of 18

Sorry Gondola - just a quick update. 

I have just tried the TalkTalk login by entering my email address but it's still directing me to the old Horde::Login page. 

As you say my changeover is in the pipeline, presumably I just need to keep trying every day or so and it will eventually automatically direct me to TalkTalk Mail in due course?

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Again @Gondola - thank you for taking the trouble to help me. 

I will need to read your reply a few times before it properly sinks in, but I'm sure you will have sorted me out this time. 

Very best regards!

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

(I have just realised that my earlier reply should have used @ - sorry)

Thank you so much for your detailed reply @Gondola

Please forgive me - I'm a bit of a Philistine with computer stuff so I hope you'll at least get my drift if I'm not up with the terms and jargon. 

I had the TalkTalk invite, but when I clicked on the link and put my email address in it just sent me to the normal Horde login, which I was able to do as normal. 

I didn't want to do anything on preferences after receiving a security alert from Experian saying that someone else might have my email address and password, hence, if they do, I might be playing into their hands by adding personal information, which they could then use. 

So, as in your other suggestion, I've tried to get into TalkTalk Mail via the website, but because my telephone number and account number are now with TalkTalk Business, they're not valid (on the 'for Everyone' residential side) so I can't register. 

It's hugely frustrating because even though I started off with TalkTalk residential, the business side doesn't want to know, which means that I can't find a way into my resi mail settings online. 

I hope that makes sense. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi Oneteluser 

All that matters is if you're a TalkTalk Consumer (home broadband) customer or not.  If not and you wish to retain the use of your onetel mailbox then a subscription to TalkTalk Mail Plus will make you a mail only TalkTalk Consumer customer. But the subscription can only be obtained when the onetel mailbox is upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform.

The mail upgrade appears to be in the pipeline. If you can still sign in to the onetel webmail site then the upgrade will allow you to sign in to the TalkTalk Mail platform using the same full email address and password.

When you do sign in via TalkTalk Mail webmail you have the ability to set up Reset details for a self-help password change.  Update your reset details is an option on the main menu.

Menu options - Update your reset details

When those reset details are present you'll be able to use the Forgotten password button in this help page Changing your email password 

Enter your email address at https://haveibeenpwned.com to identify where your email address has been compromised in a known data breach. This website is probably where Experian found that your email address was 'on offer'.

If you're ok to wait on the upgrade to TalkTalk Mail everything will fall into place. Let us know.

Message 16 of 18

Thank you so much for your detailed reply Gondola. 

Please forgive me - I'm a bit of a Philistine with computer stuff so I hope you'll at least get my drift if I'm not up with the terms and jargon. 

I had the TalkTalk invite, but when I clicked on the link and put my email address in it just sent me to the normal Horde login, which I was able to do as normal. 

I didn't want to do anything on preferences after receiving a security alert from Experian saying that someone else might have my email address and password, hence, if they do, I might be playing into their hands by adding personal information, which they could then use. 

So, as in your other suggestion, I've tried to get into TalkTalk Mail via the website, but because my telephone number and account number are now with TalkTalk Business, they're not valid (on the 'for Everyone' residential side) so I can't register. 

It's hugely frustrating because even though I started off with TalkTalk residential, the business side doesn't want to know, which means that I can't find a way into my resi mail settings online. 

I hope that makes sense. 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

Hi @Oneteluser 

The onetel domain is managed by TalkTalk Consumer and the legacy onetel mailboxes are in the process of being upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform. You're in the right place right here for support.

Can you still sign in to the mailbox? Have you received a mail message from TalkTalk about the upgrade to TalkTalk Mail?  Did it include an invitation to pre-register for password recovery?

Enter your onetel email address. If you get asked for a password you're upgraded.

If you get redirected out to the onetel webmail sign in your upgrade is still in the pipeline.

Only TalkTalk can authorise a password change with the onetel email admins and that'll likely take some time to go through. But the upgrade to TalkTalk Mail could happen anytime and if you've pre-registered for password recovery you can change your password but only when the upgrade to TalkTalk Mail is complete. Changing your email password 

Let us know what the status is for your onetel email account and the answers to the questions and we'll work out the best way forward.

In the long term to keep your onetel mailbox you'll need to subscribe to TalkTalk Mail Plus. About TalkTalk Mail Plus 

To link this topic to your TalkTalk Mail service, in preparation for direct help from TalkTalk support, please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add your full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add the onetel email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.