email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access POP3 lineone emails from Outlook

gmcalister
First Timer
Message 6 of 6

Since 1st January 2022, my wife cannot access her POP3 lineone emails from Outlook, she permanently gets a timeout error. I have checked her email settings (see screenshots below) which seem to agree with the recommended ones. She is using Windows 10 and Outlook 2010.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Screenshot_20220107_135214.png

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

There have been no changes in the mail servers that have been notified. If there had been significant change many users would be reporting issues. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 6

Hi gmcalister 

I'm not aware of a change in the operation of the mail servers over the Christmas period. More likely to be a random corruption of Outlook 2010's PST file that at the time of the error was using out of date legacy server settings. 

Thunderbird is the closest to a classic email client that's freely available and importantly is up to date with security. 

As you're already a regular user of Thunderbird I'd suggest your wife to follow your lead. TalkTalk Mail webmail acts as an IMAP email client and setting up Thunderbird with an IMAP email account for the lineone email address would be ideal. Your wife can then switch between using webmail and Thunderbird and see the lineone mailbox contents replicated exactly the same. 

Thunderbird can have local folders created outside of the mailbox to copy wanted mail messages as a local backup. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Ady,

First, let me say that it's great to get relevant and appropriate answer quickly to my problem. Thank you, Gondola.

It has answered the immediate question as to why Outlook 2010 timesout. I can only speculate that the new TLS  security policy started to be enforced from 31/12/2021 which is why it worked before but not after then.

The issue now is to decide how to proceed. Everyone will be familiar with the reluctance to change from a system that you've become familiar with and rely upon every day. So, we are going through that heartache. Personally, I use Thunderbird, but this is for my wife who has her own requirements, preferences and ways of working. We will work it out.

In the meantime, she is able to use webmail to keep the trains running.

Thanks again for your help.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 6

Hi gmcalister, has Gondola helped you get this sorted or are you still in need of help.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi gmcalister 

Outlook 2010 is not a supported product. It does not receive security updates from Microsoft so is not recommended for use. The settings you show have the correct server host names but not the SSL/TLS incoming encryption security or outgoing STARTTLS encryption security.

Let me know which alternative email product you wish to use. e.g. Windows 10 Mail or Thunderbird in place of Outlook 2010.  TalkTalk Mail webmail is always available in the meantime.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter full TalkTalk Mail lineone email address and its password, select Sign in.

Supported* email client and app settings are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) or POP3
Username Full lineone email address
Password Lineone email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP / POP3) 993 / 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Required Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password (Do not use SPA)

It's also important to make sure the email address is added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount to avoid restriction to webmail only access and possible deletion. 

Email not showing in My Account

TalkTalk Mail Plus is the mail only subscription service for TalkTalk Mail users in the UK that are not home broadband customers.

* Email clients, apps and devices that do not support secure mail using a minimum of TLS1.2 connection security are not supported.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution