email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send or reply to emails either through Webmail or any other email client

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 69 of 69

Mail is incoming no problem. But I can't send anything out.

Error messages as follows:

Using TalkTalk Webmail it says "Sender Denied (TT607)":

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [obscured for customer security] (554 - 554 5.2.0 GNgmk4W5DUAtW Sender Denied (TT607)
)

Using third party clients (eg Thunderbird) the error message is:

"Login to server smtp.talktalk.net with username obscured for customer security failed."

Can anyone help please? I haven't changed any passwords, settings etc. One day it was working fine, the next day it wasn't.

Thanks,

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson
0 Likes
68 REPLIES 68

Message 1 of 69

Hi Mike

Sign out of TalkTalk Mail webmail and close down any active email client/app. Disconnect any mobile device by switching off both wi-fi and mobile data. 

Then, having removed any potential conflict of sign in by devices under your control return to the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in and check that the sending is not blocked. Heads up that there may be a one hour time wait before the block is lifted. 

If there are still issues then TalkTalk can request the sign in logs to identify where the multiple sign in locations are. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 69

When you say "sign out", do you mean just close down the programme? Eg simply close Thunderbird?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 3 of 69

Hi Mike

554 5.2.0 Sender Denied (TT608) 554 is transaction failed TT608 means there are logins coming from multiple locations.

The TalkTalk system has detected that your mailbox is signed in via two or more geographically distanced locations. For example, Your home broadband connection making one sign in and another sign in from a different country. The system is saying "I think this mailbox is compromised because Mike cannot possibly be in two geographically distanced locations at the same time".

If you are signed in via multiple devices then sign out from all and try again with just one device online.

0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 69

Email service has failed AGAIN, after a few weeks of working OK.

Outgoing emails not sending. AGAIN.

Error message through TT webmail:

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [xxx] (554 - 554 5.2.0 RehvlGPXv2YhL Sender Denied (TT608)
)

Any ideas this time?

SO frustrating.

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 5 of 69

Hi Mike.

Have you successfully set a never before used and ultra strong password and signed in to TalkTalk Mail?

Please let us know if you get any error message on sign in or on sending mail or if you find something suspect in the mailbox.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 69

Hi Mike

You've got password recovery set up with a mobile number and a Gmail address. So to get back in to webmail I'd suggest Changing your email password.

Use the Forgotten password button and so long as you recognise the recovery mobile number as yours then I'd use that to get a six digit password change authorisation code. Follow the guide.

Then select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your talktalk.net email address, select Continue if prompted.

Enter your new talktalk.net email password, select Sign in.

Check there's no unauthorised activity. i.e. unexpected Drafts or Sent objects or Trash items.  Also things like Auto forward or other Filter rules.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 69

Hello, after a few months where the email service has been OK, this afternoon it has stopped working again, exactly as before - see this long chain of emails. Mail coming in, unable to send out on clients eg Apple Mail, Thunderbird, whatever. The difference this time is that I can't get into my Webmail account to check if I can send any emails thtough webmail. My login email and password (both of which I know are correct) are not working.

Please can you do anything to help with this?

Thanks 

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 8 of 69

Hi johnsm13, the team will use a mail client to check the settings and the account. I can't say whether it was Thunderbird or not. There aren't any specific issues with Tbird and TalkTalk. If your account is working in webmail then it should work in a mail client.

If you're still having problems try a full removal of the account from Tbird making sure to close and reopenTbird at each step of the process. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 69

@Ady-TalkTalk Yes it is exactly the same problem; I would have told you if it had been resolved.

Webmail replying/sending fine. Client software replying/sending not working.

I just tried twice to send a message from my TalkTalk mailbox using Thunderbird. The first time the error message I got back was:

"Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net timed out. Try again." 

The second time the error message I got back was:

"Logon to server smtp.talktalk.net with username xxx@talktalk.net failed".

When you say your ISP team have not been able to replicate the problem, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean they are using eg Thunderbird in exactly the way I am doing, trying to send out emails? And are managing to do that without any problem? Please explain what you mean by "they've not been able to replicate the problem". What are they doing? 

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 10 of 69

Hi Mike, sorry for the delay. Are you still getting the blocked error message? Are you able to send in webmail? I've been chasing our ISP team daily for updates on sending issues, but they've not been able to replicate the problem. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 69

@Ady-TalkTalk Hi, it's two weeks since our last communication. I just wanted to let you know that we are still not able to mail out using our TalkTalk email addresses and third party client software eg Outlook, Thunderbird, Apple Mail etc. Please can you give us an idea of whether this issue is likely to be resolved, as we are about to be billed another £50 for a service which only half works and I would want to discontinue it rather than carry on the way we are.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 69

Hi Mike, thanks for the update. The team are still investigating at present we cannot replicate the issues customers are complaining about. That absolutely doesn't mean we don't believe you. Just that we've not seen it for ourselves.

Ady

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 69

@Ady-TalkTalk Just to give you the latest on this. I was able to send a few emails via client software on the 19th and 20th, now today it has all blocked up again and I am having the same rejection error messages as before.

Hopefully this will be of some help trace the cause of the problem? How's it been going with getting to the bottom of it?

Thanks,

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 14 of 69

@Ady-TalkTalk Hello, any news/progress on this? Anything back from the email team re my access? It's been almost two weeks now. As a reminder, for a few months now I haven't been able to send or reply to emails using client software, eg Thunderbird, Apple Mail etc. Webmail working fine. You said my account had been hacked, I followed your advice and changed my password twice and virus swept everything, still the same problem. My wife who has a separate TalkTalk email address linked on the same TT Webmail account has the same issue, and I don't think she's been hacked.

I see other people are also posting identical problems. Is this a common issue?

It would be great to get this sorted, because at the moment I'm paying for only a half-service.

Thanks,

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 15 of 69

Let me have the email team check that your access is now sorted. The system will be blocking you by default because of the logins coming from at least 3 different countries. I'll post back once I've got the reply for you. 

Ady

0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 16 of 69

So just to be clear, I've now changed my password *twice* to try to sort this, in the space of the last three weeks, but neither change seems to have had any effect?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 17 of 69

I've done all this, to the letter. Chosen very complicated, probably never-to-be-remembered-again alphanumeric password with upper and lower case letters. Cleared caches etc on the TT webmail account. STILL unable to send mails via Thunderbird, Apple Mail etc. The error messages are exactly the same as before - see my earlier posts.

I still can't really understand why it works with Webmail, but not with clients - if my account has been compromised, as I'm sure you are right it has, why would it work with Webmail?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 18 of 69

Hi johnsm13, you really must follow the steps in Gondola's post. Someone definitely has access to one or more of your devices. Scan scan scan and then get that password changed. 

Ady

Message 19 of 69

Hi Mike

In post 2 I advised as a precaution to change your mailbox password. Now that TalkTalk have positively confirmed your mailbox is compromised and being used to send bulk spam in your name my original guidance is no longer precautionary it is essential.

First, scan your devices to remove password capturing viruses, trojans and malware. TalkTalk Online Defence will work in association with Malwarebytes to provide comprehensive cleaning.  Are you confident that nobody has installed remote access software on your device? Did anything show up to indicate how your mailbox password came to be compromised?

I recommend signing in to your TalkTalk online mailbox via webmail to check:

• Any Auto forward is disabled
  • Any Filter rules are disabled
  • Your Reset details are present and correct
  • The Draft folder is empty

Check Draft, Spam and Trash folders for mail messages that may show signs of unauthorised activity and empty the folders.

Update your Reset details is accessed via the main settings menu. And Auto forward and filter rules are via the Settings menu item and Mail (or Email) in the left side panel.

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Filter rules - Disable

When you've Disabled any Auto forward and any Filter rules set up an Automatic sign out of webmail. Via the Settings menu item and Basic settings in the left side panel is an Automatic sign out. I recommend setting that for 5 minutes then signing out of TalkTalk Mail.

Then it's time to change your email password via the Forgotten password reset.

I recommend a password unique to the mailbox and not used by you anywhere before. 12 - 15 multicase letters formed of multiple words and with added numbers and a symbol. This is to make the password memorable but difficult to crack.  Don't save the password in the browser but if using TalkTalk Online Defence password manager you can let the password manager generate and save a password.

Clear the browser cache and cookies and wait at least 5 minutes before signing in again. Leave the 5 minute sign out present for the next 24 hours. 

As a precaution, do not change the mailbox password on any other device until there's definitely no evidence of unauthorised use of the mailbox.

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 20 of 69

See post 4 right at the start of this enormous chat string, posted on September 10 (so almost three weeks ago now). When Gondola originally advised me to change my password, on September 10, I did - but to no obvious effect. Changing an email password is very disruptive, and I don't want to do it again unless there is good reason to. Were you aware I have already done this and it didn't help, but believe it might be more likely to help if I do it now? Or were you not aware I had already done it?

Thanks,

Mike Johnson 

Mike Johnson
0 Likes