email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send or reply to emails either through Webmail or any other email client

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 69 of 69

Mail is incoming no problem. But I can't send anything out.

Error messages as follows:

Using TalkTalk Webmail it says "Sender Denied (TT607)":

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [obscured for customer security] (554 - 554 5.2.0 GNgmk4W5DUAtW Sender Denied (TT607)
)

Using third party clients (eg Thunderbird) the error message is:

"Login to server smtp.talktalk.net with username obscured for customer security failed."

Can anyone help please? I haven't changed any passwords, settings etc. One day it was working fine, the next day it wasn't.

Thanks,

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson
0 Likes
68 REPLIES 68

Message 41 of 69

Hi johnsm13, would you mind testing again for me. Some changes have been made that may/should have resolved this for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 42 of 69

Hi Mike

Thanks for confirming that webmail is ok after the sign out and sign in. There's still a concern that multiple concurrent mailbox logins from different geo-locations are being detected by the system. 

554 5.2.0 Sender Denied (TT608) 554 is transaction failed TT608 means there are logins coming from multiple locations - I'm sure Ady will advise further.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 43 of 69

Update - logged out of TalkTalk Webmail, logged back in, can now send emails.

Still not able to send or reply to anything using client software like Outlook, Thunderbird, or Apple Mail.

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 44 of 69

So just to flag - a TT608 error this time, not a TT607.

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 45 of 69

Right well now even TalkTalk Webmail has failed on us.

Trying to send a message out from there as from about 10 minutes ago now gets the following message:

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [Barry Zarach <XXXX@XXXX.co.uk>] (554 - 554 5.2.0 I9OSkfTM684ke Sender Denied (TT608)
)

So now TalkTalk Mail Plus is completely useless for us.

Mike Johnson

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 46 of 69

@Ady-TalkTalk @Gondola So just to summarise the issue:

1) Everything is working fine in TalkTalk Webmail, but...

2) With email client software like Apple email and Thunderbird, I can receive emails, but I can't send emails or reply to emails.

I have checked and quadruple checked that my password has been entered correctly in the third party software. It has.

In Thunderbird the error message I am getting is "Login to server smtp.talktalk.net with username mjohn1@talktalk.net failed."

In Apple Mail the error message coming back is "The sender address was invalid".

My wife also has an email address registered on the same TalkTalk Mail Plus account (ie in the format xxxx@talktalk.net). She is also having exactly the same problem. I think it is a problem which has flared as a result of you blocking our mailbox account because you thought it was sending junk mail (see earlier posts in this long exchange). The problem is with the TalkTalk account, not us.

You will see from elsewhere on this community that exactly this problem also happened to us earlier in the year when we started paying for TalkTalk Mail Plus. 

So please, this issue is still active - and we need you to sort it out as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 47 of 69

Thank you, please get back to me as soon as you can as I'm paying for a service which I'm only getting 50% service from.

Mike

Mike Johnson

Message 48 of 69

Hi Mike

The mail users that are reporting difficulties are a few using legacy mail accounts (pipex and homecall) that are in the process of being upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform.

I'm not aware of any unresolvable difficulty for TalkTalk Mail users.  I think I'd know as I use talktalk.net mailboxes every day using webmail, email client and email app.

I've alerted TalkTalk to search for the 'official' solution for the TT607 spam block that kicked this all off for you.  Totally unrelated to the legacy mailbox issue.

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 49 of 69

And searching this forum, LOADS of people have posted messages similar to mine - suddenly being deprived of the ability to send messages through email clients. 

People have been reporting this for a long time.

Is there not now some sort of definitive, official solution to this - which seems to be to be clearly a TalkTalk problem, not a user problem given that one minute peoples' setups seem to be working, the next minute - trouble?

Mike 

Mike Johnson

Message 50 of 69

See post 11 in this thread. I have deleted then re-inserted my changed password in TalkTalk, and in the Apple email client, several times. It is definitely the correct password. But I am not able to send, only receive. The error message I am getting is (eg in Thunderbird):

"Login to server smtp.talktalk.net with username xxxx@talktalk.net failed."

So my issue has sadly still not been resolved.

Mike Johnson

Message 51 of 69

Hi johnsm13, please let us know how you get on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 52 of 69

Hi Mike

Please go to the Thunderbird password manager and delete the passwords associated with the talktalk.net account.

• Thunderbird menu - triple lines top right
  • Select Options
  • Select the menu item Options
  • Select the Passwords tab
  • Select Saved Passwords button
  • Select Show passwords button and confirm Yes

You'll now see the passwords saved for each imap/pop mail account and the corresponding smtp mail server.  You'll see if these are the correct passwords.  If they're not current and correct then remove the saved login.

Let us know what you find.

Message 53 of 69

Well sadly I still cannot send any emails via any client email software, eg Apple's mail program or Thunderbird. On Thunderbird I'm getting "Login to server smtp.talktalk.net with username @XXXX@talktalk.net failed." All my passwords, settings etc are correct. So still stuck.

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 54 of 69

Hi johnsm13, it looks like Gondola has this well in hand. Please keep us posted as to your progress. Gondola will let me know if you need a fault ticket raising although as webmail is working it's very unlikely to be a fault ticket issue. 

Ady

Message 55 of 69

Hi Mike

That's fine. A TalkTalk Consumer customer taking MailPlus and with the mailbox listed in MyAccount shouldn't be restricted to webmail access only and that's all I was checking. 

If you can send mail without any error message using webmail then check the email settings are as recommended and the new password is saved in Thunderbird's integrated password manager and Apple keychain / icloud keychain.

Email settings - IMAP or POP3 

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 56 of 69

No I’m just a talk talk webmail customer, the £50 a year service. I really need it to work not just on the webmail interface but also through other software for example Thunderbird and Apple. Any more ideas please why it’s not working?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 57 of 69

Hi Mike

Unless your email client access has been restricted it's only the password that needs updating on the email software / app.

You're a TalkTalk Consumer broadband customer with the mailbox listed in your MyAccount, yes?

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 58 of 69

And on my iPhone it's saying, when I try to send a mail out, "The sender address was invalid"? ie it seems to think my TalkTalk email address is "invalid"?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 59 of 69

Yes I've updated the password in Thunderbird but I'm still being rejected - that's the problem. Same with the Apple email software on my iPhone. 

I am definitely using the correct, updated, email password as I have just gone back into TalkTalk webmail using the password and it has let me into my email quite happily.

Why is the password not working with the third party email programs?

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 60 of 69

Hi Mike

I'm hoping that if there are no other unauthorised sign ins to your mailbox that a wait will see the block lifted. i.e. it's a false positive.

I expect a wait of an hour will be sufficient.

Thuinderbird has a password manager that stores passwords. You can delete an out of date password and then when next sending mail you'll be asked to enter the current password. Select the remember password tick box then enter the password and on a successful send the password will be saved.