email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot set up email client since 25th Sept - times out

grahama1
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

HI

I have been having problems with my email address which is not a talktalk one but connected to my domain name since 25th Sept. I can retrieve and send emails fine on Roundcube webmail but I had been using Thunderbird up to that point with no issues. However, now i constantly get connection to server timed out. I can setup fine using my mobile on 4g but as soon as I connect to my talktalk wifi or ethernet I get the timeout message. I have tried deleting the accounts from Thunderbird and re-adding but always get the same error. I can try a friends non TalkTalk broadband and connect fine. I have tried resetting the router, disabling all AV or firewall settings but to no avail. Is there anything else I can do to try resolve this issue?

many thanks

Graham

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi Graham

If you use Google DNS you're bypassing any access network block. I found nothing amiss with the mail and the website is not blocked although it is on an insecure host.

You say you've disabled any Internet Security software that may be blocking the email ports.

Deleted and re-added the mail account to Thunderbird.

Are you using SSL/TLS connection security or an insecure connection?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Message 2 of 7

Hi

Sorry for the late reply - I  could not get access to the router until today

I have tried both suggestions but am still getting the same result.

Homesafe was not enabled but I tried switching it on and adding the website as an allow as you suggested. I did this after returning the DNS to the talktalk ones as I understand Homesafe only works with TT DNS Settings?

Is it possible it is something else that I've not thought of as the roundcube webmail works fine on the same PC?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Graham

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hi

Thanks for looking into this further - I have already checked that Homesafe is off but I will try using Google DNS on the router as you suggest

thanks again!

Graham

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Hi @grahama1 

OK, I've looked at shootingsupplies.info and the server mail.shootingsupplies.info and there's no blacklisting for the domain, an spf record is set up and the mail.shootingsupplies.info server ping response is good.

So, as the email setup cannot be faulted I'd say the issue is with TalkTalk HomeSafe and the network blocking of the website / mail domain on the basis that it's a category that can be blocked to protect children.

Two fixes for you.

• Use a non-TalkTalk DNS service in your TalkTalk router
    e.g. Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
  • Setup HomeSafe so that the weapons category is allowed
    or website shootingsupplies.info is allowed

TalkTalk HomeSafe - An Overview 

How to use TalkTalk HomeSafe®  Scroll down to Kids Safe

There's a Kids Safe category called weapons and violence and if selected could well be the reason why shootingsupplies.info is network blocked. So either turn off HomeSafe altogether or allow the weapons category and I bet that fixes your mail server connection.

Message 5 of 7

Hi

many thanks for your reply - I may not have explained it as clearly as possible!

I am using the IMAP and SMTP settings as set by my hosting site. My domain is @shootingsupplies.info and the mail server settings are mail@. I have been using these successfully for some years without issues until the 25th sept when I just got connection to the mail server timed out. Roundcube is still working fine and I can set up Thunderbird on my friends Sky broadband network and it works fine as it does on my iPhone when I turn the wifi off and use 4g.

kind regards

Graham

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @grahama1 

You should use your host email service to send mail from your personal domain email address.

Sending using the talktalk SMTP servers is not permitted and will not grant authentication for your personal domain email address.

Have I understood what you're trying to achieve?