email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed from sky to talktalk and now cannot receive emails on outlook.

Mike338
First Timer
Message 14 of 14

I am unable to send or receive any emails using talktalk yet all devices were able to prior to changing ISP. Browsing on talktalk is working. 

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Mike, I'd like to take a look at this for you. I've sent you a personal message to obtain some security information. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 14

Wel now, that is certainly 'a lesson learnt' @Mike338!

~R.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hmm...scam protection? That's interesting. Effectively blocking an entire ISP rather than a remote access website. Have to get that looked at.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 14

Hi Gondola

Thank you all is working now. Problem was scam protection was activated and it looks like mweb.co.za is classified as a site promoting scams.

Thank you for your patience.

Mike

Message 5 of 14

Hi Mike338 

If you cannot access the SA webmail page then that points to a connection issue. So, did you try switching off Homesafe / Kidssafe?  Or the circumventing of a network block by using an alternate DNS setup in your broadband router / hub?

Pinging the mail hosts or webmail page will prove a connection. Doing a Tracert or Traceroute will define where that connection is failing. Run a Ping or Traceroute 

It's not possible to change a mail account from POP3 to IMAP. The process is to save your wanted mail messages that have been downloaded to your device. You must do this or the next step of deleting your POP3 mail account on Outlook will also delete those messages. Having deleted the mail account you can set up a new one as an IMAP account.

Probably best to leave this change until you can prove there is a connection to the mail servers.

Message 6 of 14

Hi Gondola

Outlook for 365 version 2105 (16.0.14026.20270) 64 bit

Apologies I didn't check to see if I could access webmail, and I can't through talktalk but can through O2 data.

Outlook also won't accept the change from pop to imap - says it can't save account settings.

Thanks again

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi @Mike338 

Please confirm the device(s) you're using and the version of Outlook.  So, long as it's not Outlook for mobile as I've not been able to get the current version responding to any mail servers.

Screenshot the general, outgoing and advanced tabs on the non-mobile Outlook, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here so I can see what you see. 

Can you access and sign in to your SA webmail mailbox on the link I gave? 

Do you know how to ping the mail server host names from the Windows CMD window? This would prove or disprove the presence of a block. I can get a response from these mail servers and have checked the presence of a security certificate on port 993 to prove that secure mail should work.

If there is a TalkTalk network block it's likely to be related to homesafe / kids safe rather than email as such. 

You can switch off homesafe / kids safe via your MyAccount. Or circumvent network protection by setting a non-TalkTalk DNS in the router/hub. e.g. Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or Quad9's DNS 9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112

How to use TalkTalk HomeSafe® 

How to turn off homesafe 

Using 3rd Party DNS 

Message 8 of 14

Hi Gondola

Thank you for all your help but it is still Not working. It all works (both outlook and Samsung mail) if I use my O2 data so my conclusion is Talktalk has some setting activated that doesn't allow the connection. 

So am not sure what to do.

Thanks 

Mike

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Mike338 

Just in case the email client still refuses to connect you'll find webmail at: https://www.mweb.co.za/webmail

The Incoming Server Settings are:

• User name: The full email address
  • Password: the email password
  • Tick: Remember password
  • IMAP host name: imap.mweb.co.za
  • Port: 993
  • Connection security: SSL/TLS

The Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings are:

• User name: The full email address
  • Password: the email password
  • Tick: Remember password
  • SMTP host name: smtpauth.mweb.co.za
  • Port: 465
  • Connection security: SSL/TLS

Tick: My outgoing server requires authentication
Untick: Use same settings as my incoming mail server
Tick: Logon using (User name and password)

When the server connects and asks if you wish to accept a certificate then accept.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Gondola

I am using imap.mweb.co.za and smtp.mweb.co.za. Under security type none is listed. I did try changing to TLS (all certificates) but had usual response ' unable to connect to server '

Thanks 

Mike 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi @Mike338 

I'm able to get a response from the globalonline and tiscali servers in South Africa so in theory you should be able to connect. What Outlook incoming and outgoing mail server settings have the respective mail providers asked you to use?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hi Gondola

My email addresses end with @global.co.za and @Tiscali.co.za

No I haven't set up talk mail as I am happy with my current mail programs.

Gmail is working in outlook.

Thanks 

Mike

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi @Mike338 

We'll need a bit more detail to be able to work out what the problem is.

What's the last part of your email address, just the domain part, after the @ symbol?

Is it a sky.com email address? And what's the version of Outlook? Sky advice is that you may need a unique sky generated password.

Have you created a talktalk.net email address via your customer MyAccount? Managing your email in My Account

The email client settings are Email settings - IMAP & POP3 

I can help you set up Outlook. If you take screenshots of the email setup on the general, outgoing server and advanced tabs on Outlook, image edit to obscure the first part of your email address and upload here so I can see what you see then I can offer more guidance.

0 Likes