email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compromised pipex email accounts

Kevin R
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 12

Hello

I have three legacy email addresses that transferred over from pipex.

One is working fine

One has been compromised in that the inbox has emails spoofed to myself saying I need to pay a ransom and showed me the password I use to access the account. The password is one I can not change. I would like to terminate this account

One has been compromised in that the inbox has emails spoofed to myself saying I need to pay a ransom and showed me the password I use to access the account. The password is one I can not change. This has been fully hacked and somehow the hacker has managed to change the access password on 22/10/21 (I know this as I was picking up the emails through a gmail account). Unfortunately I was still using this email address for a limited number of travel companies. And the hackerhas now compromised one of those accounts, and I am unable to salvage that account as I can not request a password reset due to this email address being compromised.

I did not set up a secondary recovery email account for these addresses, so can not recover the email addresses by myself (I think)

How can I raise an incident to get assitance with these matters?

Kevin
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

@Ady-TalkTalk you may need to re-send the PM to Kevin.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 12

Hi Kevin R 

Select here Community Personal Message and scroll down to see and then reply to your personal message from Ady.

Message 3 of 12

Hi Ady

Where will you post that message? To my email address given or in the private notes of my profile?

Thanks

Kevin
0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

In that case I've sent you a personal message to obtain more information.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Kevin R
Chatterbox
Message 5 of 12

Hi Ady

No I don't have any talktalk products at present.

Kind regards

Kevin

Kevin

Message 6 of 12

Hi Kevin R, do you have a live TalkTalk broadband or TalkTalk Mail Plus account? 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 7 of 12

No worries. I've pushed a support request for you in to the TalkTalk workflow.

Message 8 of 12

Hi Gondola

Yes I received the emails about migration and I have a few saved which do tell me to set up a password recovery - which I must not have done.

I have the alias and master email addresses for each account.

I will set up a password recovery on the two accounts I still have access to if I can. But as I can not access or setup password recovery on the most compromised account I would like you to raise a support call. I will update my profile details as you have described.

Many thanks for your support

Kevin
0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Hi Kevin R 

Prior to the migration of pipex mail from the legacy pipex platform to the current TalkTalk Mail platform you'll have received a set of mail messages about the upgrade including at least one giving the master email address and all linked aliases.

I assume you have tried signing in to webmail using an alias to see if the password still works to get you signed in? If you can get signed in then selecting Compose to create a new email and selecting the down arrow on the end of the From line should list all the linked addresses and the one of the form aaa3456@dsl.pipex.com or similar, would be the master mailbox address. You should be able to set up password recovery reset details so long as you can sign in to webmail.

If you can't sign in or set up password recovery yourself then I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't available to you. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current home 'phone number (if available). An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery, other notes about not knowing the master address etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Personal Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password. And when you do get access via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If you see There is no rule defined then you need go no further.
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red   
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know if you need more guidance.

Kevin R
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 12

Hi Gondola

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately I can't remember my original master email address, and probably wouldn't have changed the master email password so I'm pretty stuck.

Although I can verify who I am, and luckily one of the email addresses is my name.

Kevin
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 12

Hi Kevin R 

Are those given passwords real or passwords that were previously in use? First see if you can access the master mailbox to set up password recovery to regain control.  Bear in mind that the mailbox on the TalkTalk Mail platform is one for the master pipex email address. You can only change the password for a master address not for an alias address that will take the same password.

You can sign in with either an alias or a master address so long as the password hasn't been changed. NB a lot of the blackmail scams haven't actually compromised a mailbox despite what is claimed. Not to say that the real password hasn't been discovered.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full master pipex email address and your email password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

The Reset your password now button in the help article  Changing your email password will take you to password reset and recovery.  If you have set up password recovery, reset detail, options, that you recognise from the hints as your current recovery methods, you can send your alternate email address a link or your mobile a 6-digit code to authorise a password reset.

If you still cannot sign in to set up reset details then let me know and we'll ask TalkTalk Support to verify you as the original registered user and set up those reset details.