email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not connect to server

MandyJB
First Timer
Message 10 of 10

After having sign I problems I removed my account and have tried adding it again however it keeps saying it cannot open connection to the server. The incoming server seems fine it appears to be the outgoing server I'm trying to use 587 SSL/TSL however when I press SSL/TLs it automatically adds a port of 465

When I use STRTTLS it adds 587 either way none seem to be allowing a connection 

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 10

Thanks, all sorted, Thunderbird seemed to have got itself confused.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 10

Hi normansplace, as Gondola has said if you still need help please start a new topic of your own and we'll be delighted to help you out. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 10

Hi MandyJB, it looks like Gondola's done a really good job trying to help you. Has the work been in vain or is your mail working normally now?

Ady

Message 5 of 10

We're waiting to see how MandyJB is getting on. No helpful details have been revealed so far. 

So, normansplace if you want help then start your own topic and give all the relevant details. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

normansplace
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 10

I just logged in to see if there were email problems as I can't send emails currently due to an issue connecting to SMTP server, although nothing has changed at my end. Your problem sounds similar. I have occasionally known other people to have this kind of issue with TalkTalk email and it resolves in a day or so. There's nothing in the status section.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

My crystal ball isn't working today as it has Sunday as a rest day.

Are you a TalkTalk Consumer customer and is the TalkTalk managed email address added to your customer MyAccount, shown in the My Mailboxes list?

Is your mailbox accessible via webmail?

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Is the password strong enough? Even if you can sign in to webmail a weak password would not get authentication for an email client connection. 

So, if you know it's a weak password then upgrade it before proceeding.

Let us know how you get on. 

0 Likes

MandyJB
First Timer
Message 8 of 10

Thank you, I've tried all that and still it isn't working 🤷

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi MandyJB 

If you're using a TalkTalk Mail managed email address then the outgoing server requires a connection using STARTTLS and port 587.

On updating the email software incoming, outgoing and some advanced server settings, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password so have the current password ready. Tick to save the password before entering it.

Supported* email client and app settings are:

Account Type  IMAP (recommended) or POP3
Username Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP / POP3) 993 / 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS (Use SSL on for mobile)
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS (Use SSL on for mobile)
Outgoing Authentication Required Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password

Apple/Mac Mail Connection Security is use TLS/SSL

Outlook requires that you tick My outgoing server requires authentication.

Also best that you set up the outgoing server with Username and Password entered.

It's also important to make sure the email address is added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount to avoid restriction to webmail only access and possible deletion. 

Email not showing in My Account

TalkTalk Mail Plus is the mail only subscription service for TalkTalk Mail users in the UK that are not home broadband customers.

* Email clients, apps and devices that do not support secure mail using a minimum of TLS1.2 connection security are not supported.