email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deep hole

Message 15 of 15

I'll be amazed if anyone has a solution to the hole I've dug for myself.

I reinstalled windows 10 on a promise that all personal files would be preserved. Turns out that didn't include my pc based outlook express address book, sent items, inbox, etc.

All gone.

Thankfully the virtual talktalk mail has my inbox. The sent items I can live without. Even the addresses for the most part with one exception:

I run a group and periodically send messages bcc to the c.100 participants including myself.

A recent email in my inbox to that group necessarily has undisclosed-recipient where the 100 addresses would be.

Is there a means of accessing them? Given it was me who sent it.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts.

Harvey.

A smart person learns from their mistakes. A wise person learns from the mistakes of others

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

I'm sorry to hear that you've been unsuccessful. It's heartbreaking at times when you lose everything like that. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 15

Hi Ady.

Well, in the words of Gondola: "a good try but not helpful in terms of recreating the Distribution List for your group."

There's a time to let go. And this I believe is it.

Grateful to Gondola for all his/her attention.

(I may start another thread: there was a reason I went to the lengths of reinstalling windows 10: which wasn't resolved by the reinstall. You won't have missed the irony that the net result of that reinstall was a 'catastrophic' loss of data, much time spent searching for it and an education from Gondola. And a painful lesson learnt re Microsoft guidance: I no longer have the delusion that Microsoft won't let me do anything 'dangerous' without repeated warnings.)

All the best.

Message 3 of 15

Hi Reads things twice, it looks like Gondola's given you all the right advice. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 15

Hi Reads things twice 

The Dropbox files are encrypted database files. Dropbox has hijacked the use of the file suffix because OE is effectively out of date. But you're looking in the right place so if the search comes up with nothing else then yes, a good try but not helpful in terms of recreating the Distribution List for your group. 

I hope you can update your spreadsheet and create new lists from there. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 5 of 15

Readsthingstwice_0-1637758648371.png

Hi Gondola,

Thank you again. You're teaching me as well as supporting me in my troubleshooting.

I've unhidden (and re-hidden) as suggested.

Search in local disk (C:) for *.pst yielded zero results.

Search for *.dbx yielded the above: Dropbox files rather than Outlook.

Gone for good? I fear so...

Grateful, Harvey.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi Reads things twice 

Outlook.com email via an Internet browser like Edge does not use installed software like the Outlook series of email clients such as Outlook 2013 - 2019 etc or Outlook Express that was bundled with early Windows OS.  It's confusing because of the use of the same name 'Outlook'. Equally confusing is the fact that Outlook software on a PC does not use the same file structures as Outlook Express.

When searching for the hidden folders and files on your Windows PC for relevant files that either Outlook or Outlook Express will have created to store personal emails etc you'll first need to Show those hidden folders and files. I recommend you rehide when you've finished searching.

To display hidden folders on a Windows 10 pc:

• In the Windows Search Box (bottom left on the taskbar):
    Enter File Explorer Options and tap Enter on the keyboard
  • When the File Explorer Options window appears:
    Select the View tab
  • In the Advanced settings area:
    Select the radio button Show hidden files, folders and drives
  • Select the Apply button

Message 7 of 15

Dear Gondola,

Thank you again for your attention.

I followed the link and read it twice. And then fell at the first:

I've repeatedly struggled to make sense of this instruction over the last few days: 

"1. In Outlook, click the File tab."

And now I know why:

"If you are using Outlook on the web, there is no File tab. All options available to you are on the menu under the Gear icon"

I am using it on the web! I'm wondering how Microsoft's support can fail to make the distinction clear. Not the first time I've been disappointed by Microsoft's dubious guidance...

I find nothing useful under the gear icon. Certainly nothing that looks anything like step 2 even under all outlook settings.

The Microsoft support mentions "hidden folder at drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook"

How do I find a hidden folder? Presumably searching for it via file explorer won't cut it.

All the best to you Gondola.

Harvey.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi Reads things twice 

Have a look at this  Microsoft helper on Outlook Data Files. Scroll down to the section on File Locations and you may need to look in the hidden location user/Appdata/local...  You mentioned Outlook Express and therefore the emails from OE are going to be in dbx format and the address path on the computer might be slightly different to where Outlook stores pst files. But, in theory, the files should be there. If you find you have a load of dbx files you'll need a converter program to convert dbx to pst. But you may just need the dbx file for the Sent mail messages to identify the group mail.

Message 9 of 15

I am grateful and surprised at your tenacity Gondola. Truly.

If I've understood (no certainty) hidden away somewhere on my pc is a .pst file containing the lost addresses and more.

The key to the whereabouts and contents of that file is via a new outlook 'profile' which will home in on it and release the contents to the outlook mail account.

In essence, the lost addresses will appear in the address list? Have I got it?

I have a new outlook profile but under 'all contacts' it says I haven't added any yet.

There's an option to 'import contacts' but that invites me to browse my pc and name a file. ie. I'd need to know where the hidden .pst file is! I don't.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks again. You really are a (community) star.

Harvey.

Message 10 of 15

Hi Reads things twice 

Here's what  Microsoft say about pst files. When a profile is deleted the pst file should remain. So, in theory, the pst file ought to be there and just needs a replacement profile creating to access the Personal Folders File.

Message 11 of 15

Your assumption is correct Gondola: I would need to have heard about it (and cared about it) to have backed it up.

I'm embarrassed to share just how long ago it is that I backed up (and shared with another person) the address list. It's hideously out of date now.

It's fair to say lessons are being learnt at this end... The hard way.

I remain perplexed why the windows reinstall wiped the email file but kept everything else.

Thank you again for your attention.

Message 12 of 15

Hi Reads things twice 

I'll assume you never made a backup of the pst file? Outlook sometimes corrupts the personal data file so taking a backup at intervals is a good move.  I'll assume no individual backups of important mail messages?

From your description, the 'phone is set up as an IMAP account and Outlook Express was set up as a POP account. This is why you see online mail messages Sent from the 'phone but nothing seemingly sent from the computer.

Do you have a backup contacts list? Most groups would keep their contacts in spreadsheet format. i.e names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses etc. You can therefore export from the spreadsheet a CSV file and import that CSV to the TalkTalk Mail Address Book or email software that similarly allows Import and Export of Contacts. You just need to Export a sample CSV file to determine what fields to use from the spreadsheet. 

Once the contacts are individually in the Address Book you can then create Distribution Lists which are selected lists of contacts. Top tip: Keep list sizes to below 50 to ensure that you're not tripped up with a temporary stop on sending for sending to too many recipients per hour.

Message 13 of 15

Gondola, I'm really grateful for your time and support.

You write "When you use the option Reset this PC you get the choice to keep or remove personal files when reinstalling the operating system. I guess you made the wrong choice." but actually I sidestepped that particular issue and opted to keep the personal files. Everything else, photos, docs, etc are still there.

Hence my disappointment, to put it politely that the email stuff vanished.

Re "Check the Sent objects folder to see if you did synchronise the email client to copy all sent emails to the online folder" messages originating from my phone are there but nothing originating from my pc... No doubt for the reasons you mention.

No sign of the .pst file on my laptop. I've searched the c drive to no avail.

Is all hope lost?

And reinstalling: I certainly won't be. In fact I'm wondering why I'd keep anything important like an address book on my pc. Never too late to wise up...

Thanks again, Harvey.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

Hi Reads things twice 

When you use the option Reset this PC you get the choice to keep or remove personal files when reinstalling the operating system. I guess you made the wrong choice.  But just in case, have a read of this  Microsoft helper on managing pst files which is where Outlook stores backup copies of mail and contacts etc.  Let us know if you find the pst file.

If you'd set up the email client, Outlook Express, using an IMAP account connection to your online mailbox then all messages sent would be in the online Sent objects folder. You'd see all contact email addresses in the BCC field. But if set up using a POP account connection then that interacts with the Inbox only and therefore sent mail exists only on the computer that you reset to reinstall Windows 10 without keeping personal files.  Even though you originated the mail message(s) a message sent to your own Inbox would not disclose the BCC recipients. So you'd need to see the original sent message.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Check the Sent objects folder to see if you did synchronise the email client to copy all sent emails to the online folder.

Heads up that I hope you're not reinstalling Outlook Express (OE) on your fresh install of Windows 10. Outlook Express is a deprecated product and has long since been forgotten in the Microsoft scheme for updating the security aspects let alone dealing with too many OE bugs.