email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted trash keeps returning

AGH55
Team Player
Message 1 of 8

Hi, I'm trying to help a friend who has an E-Mail account set up as POP3. When for example 20 E-Mails are deleted another 20 which have previously been deleted return. The account is only managed on an I-Pad. No access to a desktop or Laptop. 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 2 of 8

Hi AGH55, has your friend got leave a copy on the server set in their mail client? Have they also got deleted from server when deleted selected. If not due to the way POP3 collects mail it will continue to fetch the mail again. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi and thanks for your reply, from memory there is a setting which shows the deleted mail will be kept on the server for 30 days. What should this setting be and what are other info should be added or amended to the POP 3 set-up. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

If you asked our email admins they'd say use IMAP as POP is out of date. That said here's the help article for Email settings for IMAP and POP3.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hi, thanks, if it was my account I would have no hesitation changing over to IMAP, I have one concern, what happens to the POP3 inbox ,sent items, deleted items etc, do they disappear or do they transfer.

Another option if you can advise on, can you set up 2 accounts, with the same e-mail address and password and have an IMAP and POP3. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Using both simoultaneously will cause no end of problems. There's a great help article about changing over you might find it interesting. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 8

Hi OCE-Ady, thanks for replying again, and apologies for my delay in responding.Your article is very interesting,  I will have to change my friends account over from POP3 to IMAP. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 8

You're very welcome. Please post back to let us know how you get on with the changeover. 

0 Likes