email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Emails

Tazman57
Popular Poster
Message 3 of 3

I have been getting duplicate emails in my inbox for ages.  Just can't stop it.  I also use the Mail App which gives me single copies in my inbox. But, I have not been able to send emails for as long as I can remember.  Switching between the two is really not acceptable. 

I have been with TalkTalk for years and can't remember a time when I was free of some kind of problem with Email.

2 REPLIES 2

Gondola
Community Star
Message 1 of 3

How are you getting on, Tazman57 ?

We would appreciate you taking time out to give us your feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Gondola
Community Star
Message 2 of 3

Hi Tazman57 

Duplicate copies of all mail messages are likely due to the mail messages arriving in the online Inbox being copied to another mail service that is at the same time collecting the mail from the Inbox.

But you agree that there is only one copy in the online Inbox.

What is the email domain? talktalk.net or tiscali.co.uk or a legacy mail domain like dsl.pipex.com or screaming.net that might have a master mailbox address plus alias addresses linked to the master mailbox.

So, let's fix the issues by troubleshooting:

• Resetting your browser to default settings, no tracker blocking, no pop-up blocking and no add-ons or extensions running and not using a VPN or pseudo VPN
  • Checking you have password recovery reset details set up
  • Changing the mailbox password to temporarily lock out any other means of collecting your mail
  • Reset the mailbox to remove all Filter rules including Auto forward
  • Test the mailbox to prove you can both send and receive mail messages

Hopefully you'll have pre-registered for password recovery an alternate email address and mobile number. Either can be selected in the password reset process to receive an emailed link or a 6 digit code by mobile text message to authenticate a password change. It's worth checking these Reset details are present and correct before opting to change the password. 

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full email address and your email password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Password recovery Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email address and or mobile number can receive a password reset link or 6 digit code. Please look at the help page  Changing your email password. Use the Reset password now button. Enter your email address, complete the reCAPTCHA security and select Continue to change the password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a 12-15 multicase letters and numbers password that also includes a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and will save the login for you.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and new password, select Sign in.

Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Let us know of any send error.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know of any error message, or if mail did not arrive in the Inbox or disappeared from the Inbox. If you changed the password and have no Filter rule defined then there should be nothing stopping mail from being sent and arriving in and staying in the Inbox.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution