email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mails full of computer code and random letters

Jbrowne
Team Player
Message 6 of 6

Certain e-mails that I receive on my laptop start and end with a whole lot of computer code, and the message is almost unreadable, containing random capital A's and other strange things. Why is this and what can I do about it?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi Jbrowne

Interesting that the apparently default HTML option isn't working for Outlook. Normally Outlook would default to using HTML for display.

Here's a couple of things to check. Microsoft give this article re Reading email messages in plain text. So just in case, check and untick the Read as Plain Text options.

And the Microsoft article re Change the message format to HTML. Just in case this is having an effect. Set to compose new messages in HTML (unless you need to or wish to specifically format your emails to plain text). Check that the set to read a message is defaulting to HTML.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi Gondola,

Many thanks for your help. I view my e-mails on a laptop -I don't have any other devices - and I use Microsoft Outlook. I should perhaps say that only a few of my e-mails come through in this way, the rest are fine. It seems to be e-mails from just 3 or 4 senders that arrive like this and the senders are as mystified as I am as to why it happens!

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Jbrowne

That's an easy one. The email has been sent to you in HTML format for viewing in an Internet browser but is being displayed by your email client as plain text. 

You'll have options on how to display incoming emails. Sometimes you'll have a link in the email to view the email in an Internet browser so it displays correctly. Often you'll have a display option in the email client to select HTML.

Let me know how you view your emails (i.e. what device and what email software) and I'll try and guide you to set up the viewing option. 

Here's what the email presentation should look like (although it does have some unrecognised  characters):

TEL Â Â
www.facebook.com/oldwyvernians
JANUARY 2019

EDITORIAL  Preparations for our annual reunion continue apace. It will be business as usual, no point messing with what has proved to be a very successful formula. We have two excellent speakers lined up - . You will see the obituary section has a large number of entries, alas we are all becoming older. It is a sobering thought that people who were 71 in 1998 (my age now) when we held our first reunion, are now 93!

1966-72  (Continuing Simon's CBS memories - Ed) I passed all seven of my 'O' levels in stages between June and November 1969. As already mentioned, I was excused History, and fate punished me as I was destined to teach the European

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Hi - sorry I am a complete computer dunce - the only way I can see to give you an example is to copy and paste part of the most recent e-mail as below. I have deleted a few bits that contain names etc.

Thanks for your interest.

</strong></font></div>
<font size="-1"> </font>
<div align="center"><font size="-1"><strong><font face="Times
New Roman"
<font size="-1"> </font>
New Roman">TEL    </font></strong></font></div>
<font size="-1"> </font>
<div align="center"><font size="-1"><strong><a
href="http://www.wyvernians.org.uk/"><font face="Times
New Roman">www.wyvernians.org.uk</font></a></strong></font></div>
<font size="-1"> </font>
<div align="center"><font size="-1" face="Times New Roman"><a
href="http://www.facebook.com/oldwyvernians"><strong>www.facebook.com/oldwyvernians</strong></a></font></d...>
<font size="-1"> </font>
New Roman">JANUARY 2019<br>
<br>
</font></strong> </font>
<div align="justify"><font size="-1"><br>
<strong></strong></font><font face="Times New Roman"><font
size="-1"><u><b>EDITORIAL</b></u>   Preparations for our
annual reunion continue apace.  It will be business as
usual, no point messing with what has proved to be a
very successful formula.  We have two excellent speakers
lined up - .  You will see the obituary
section has a large number of entries, alas we are all
becoming older.  It is a sobering thought that people
who were 71 in 1998 (my age now) when we held our first
reunion, are now 93!<br>
<br>
<u><b>  1966-72</b></u>   <i>(Continuing
Simon's CBS memories - Ed)</i>  I passed all seven of
my 'O' levels in stages between June and November 1969. 
As already mentioned, I was excused History, and fate
punished me as I was destined to teach the European

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi @Jbrowne

Post a screenshot here using the Photos icon above this reply area.  Obscure any personally identifiable data before posting.

0 Likes