Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

EMAILS FROM PIPEX TO GMAIL DELAYED

10 REPLIES 10
stevesurrey
Enlightened One

Following an apparent successful migration of my 3 Pipex mailboxes to the new platform I undertook some email testing to ensure everything was functioning properly.

This testing highlighted that messages sent from Pipex to Gmail addresses were being delayed by 4-5 hours. Examining the headers in Gmail showed:-

spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning @xxxxxx@dsl.pipex.com does not designate 62.24.135.68 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=xxxxxx@dsl.pipex.com

An IP lookup shows that IP address to be designated TalkTalk. I assume this mismatch is the reason for delayed delivery (spam checking?).

I note this mismatch was also highlighted in this thread here Potential-issue-with-dsl-pipex-com-mail-being-sent-from-talktalk but not resolved.

Clearly this mismatch does cause problems, as identified by my testing, and I fear it may ultimately lead to emails being bounced or marked as spam.

What can TT do to rectify this?

Would changing our email settings to use smtp.talktalk.net instead help?

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi @stevesurrey 

Apologies for this.

The issue raised with Pipex emails is now showing on our Service Status page and updates will be provided here under email.

Thanks

Debbie

stevesurrey
Enlightened One

Thank you @OCE_Debbie but the issue I have raised is a side effect of a successful migration not really covered by the message in Service Status.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Steve

The issue has already been drawn to TalkTalk's attention.

For mail migrated to the TalkTalk mail platform the talktalk.net SMTP sender is a permitted sender for pipex domains. So, yes, do your testing.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

stevesurrey
Enlightened One

@Gondola wrote:

Hi Steve

For mail migrated to the TalkTalk mail platform the talktalk.net SMTP sender is a permitted sender for pipex domains. So, yes, do your testing.

So tested using the TalkTalk smtp server but no change in the result. Gmail still reported the same softfail and delivery of the message was delayed by 3 hours. I guess it needs TT to do something at their end to sort out this mismatch.

Gondola
Community Star

OK, predictable i guess. Pulling the spf record from the sending email address domain. You're not using secure email I seem to recall? Or was that just for incoming mail? What about outgoing mail?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Add Likes below to appreciate my help . . . and if I offered a solution Best Answer

stevesurrey
Enlightened One

I am using secure outgoing mail, it's just incoming that doesn't work securely for me since migration. 

stevesurrey
Enlightened One

@Gondola wrote:

Hi Steve

Hopefully the email admins will sort out a fix for this once theyve resolved the current migration woes.

gmlack
Whizz Kid

@Gondola wrote:

Hi Steve

This is clearly not the case. Steve has noted this to not be so, and so have I in https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Potential-issue-with-dsl-pipex-com-mail-being-sent...

TalkTalk should be noted as a valid sender for pipex.com domains, but it currently it is not.

gmlack
Whizz Kid

@gmlack wrote:

@Gondola wrote:

Hi Steve

This is clearly not the case. Steve has noted this to not be so, and so have I in https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Potential-issue-with-dsl-pipex-com-mail-being-sent...

TalkTalk should be noted as a valid sender for pipex.com domains, but it currently it is not.

Just sent another test mail to a gmail account and confirmed that:

o a message sent to a gmail account takes ~8 hours to get there

o the spf check on gmail complains that 62.24.135.129 is not permitted sender for dsl.pipex.com.

That latter part might be because that address resolves to smtp-out-1.tiscali.co.uk, not talktalk.net. Perhaps TalkTalk needs to investigate this??

gmlack
Whizz Kid

Since my main account (that's the one I use most, not the actual admin one) has just migrated I decided to send out some (more) test messages.

Interesting results.

The one to gmail has still not arrived. Given that the last one I sent took 8 hours to arrive (with the delay being in it getting from TalkTalk to gmail)  I'm not going to hold my breath. It would be nice to think that TalkTalk were investigating why this is so, given that it's being reported by multiple people. But nice things do not always happen.

The ones to a GMX account and to an Outlook account arrived very quickly. HOWEVER, there is still an oddity here, as this showed up in the headers of the Outlook-bound message:

Received-SPF: SoftFail (protection.outlook.com: domain of transitioning
 dsl.pipex.com discourages use of 62.24.135.134 as permitted sender)
Received: from smtp-out-6.tiscali.co.uk (62.24.135.134) by.....

Given that it is under TalkTalk's control which outgoing SMTP server is used, why on Earth is it using one which TalkTalk itself is discouraging?!

The GMX-bound one also left from smtp-out-6.tiscali.co.uk.