email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Account hacked - Rules Changed

daisy2710
First Timer
Message 4 of 4

Hi, I have a tiscali.co.uk email account only - no broadband etc via TalkTalkMail Plus.  On 20th March this account was hacked and access was gained via this to my Amazon Account which was also then hacked and misused.  I am now not able to get any emails from Amazon since 20th March.  I have changed my mail password immediately and receive other emails but NONE from amazon so I am not able to access my amazon account or reset the password.  Amazon have said the Rules have been changed on my email account preventing me from accessing or receiving any emails from Amazon.  They have sent several which have said 'delivered'.  Amazon said I need to contact TalkTalk to have the rules reset to allow me to immediately receive any backdated emails from Amazon to sort this problem out.  I have not been able to contact anyone at TalkTalk and any emails sent to Talk Talk have been returned saying they are not able to help due to the current situation.  What can I do please as this has been going on for 2 weeks now and is making me anxious about other accounts linked to my email.  Thank you.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi daisy2710 

Assuming the filter rules were stopping the Inbox from receiving mail messages from Amazon then Amazon should be able to send to your Inbox once more.

Any mail messages not received will only get to your Inbox if Amazon resend.

As I don't know what the filters were doing I cannot at this point comment on whether the mail may be recoverable.

If you'd return to the Filter Rules and select Edit then screenshot the pop-up window and save the image and do that for both rules then I can try and determine if you can recover the mail messages. I don't hold out too much hope though if a scammer was sending to their email address.

To upload select the Insert Photos camera icon (picture icon on the mobile browser) above this Reply area and select the image files from your device.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Hi Gondola,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.  I did as you suggested.  It showed two email filters were enabled but I couldn't see what the filters were - no information or details visible - so I disabled both of them.  I checked that my reset details were up-to-date which they were.

I'm not sure if this will have done the trick or not?  Also, how will I be able to access past emails from Amazon though as I need these to reset my account?  Is this possible?  

Thanks.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

Hi @daisy2710 

Sorry to see that your TalkTalk mailbox was compromised but great to know that you have secured the mailbox with a new password.  An ultra-strong password changed on a device previously checked as virus and malware free I hope?  This is to give you confidence that passwords aren't being obtained via a keylogger on your device.

To check for unauthorised Filter rules or Auto forwarding please sign in to your mailbox to the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in here

To check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages:

• Sign in to TalkTalk Mail
  • Select the Main Settings menu
    (triple line icon top right header or cog icon on mobile browser)
  • Select Settings
  • Select the arrow by Mail in the side panel
    The Auto forward and Filter rules options will be seen
  • Select Auto forward - disable (if tick box Enabled)
  • Select Filter rules - disable or delete

Let us know what you find.

Also check via the Main Menu the 'Update your reset details' to make sure they're both correct and up to date in case you need them again for password recovery.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes