email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Account hacked and compromised....

daviddonlindsay
First Timer
Message 14 of 14

Hi

I have been hacked and absolutely everything has been deleted from my @Tiscali.co.uk inbox. I am feeling very helpless. Who should I contact.  I have changed my password but I am not sure my account is secure, because I changed it once and the guy kept deleting things.  Then there was an email in my inbox in russian with a link to a .ru russian blockchain (crypto?) website... I changed password again but everything is goin.  In the recover options.. a mail . ru email address is there... its not mine... how do I get secure.. and how do I recover all of my lost emails???.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

The former account holder should have the information requested if you left last year. If you could ask them to register on the community we'll be able to help them. If necessary we can ask some alternate questions. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 14

Hi Ady. I have responded to your PM.  As we are no longer talk talk customers (just retain the use of our tiscali.co.uk email addresses) I do not have an account number to provide for verification??

Message 3 of 14

I'm sorry there's only 1 manager with the ability to turn on PMs and he's not responding to messages at the moment. I'll get you the message as soon as possible. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 14

Hi daviddonlindsay 

You don't appear to have Personal Messages (PM's) enabled as I've just tried to send you a test message. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi Ady, I can't see a personal message anywhere. Please can you tell me where to access this?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi daviddonlindsay, I've sent you a personal message to get more information. 

Ady

Message 7 of 14

TalkTalk can get the Mail platform vendor to force a logout of all devices. In the meantime, the best you can do is to set the automatic-sign out option to sign out after 5 minutes of inactivity. 

Customising the Basic Settings

Select the main settings menu icon (triple lines or cog icon) on the top right header bar
Select the Settings menu item
Select Basic settings in the side bar
Change the settings

The following settings are available:
▪ Language
▪ Timezone
▪ Refresh interval
▪ High contrast theme
▪ Default app after sign in
Automatic sign out
▪ Automatic opening of notification area
▪ Show desktop notifications
▪ Use accessibility improvements
▪ My contact data button

Set the automatic sign out to 5 minutes.

The question you need to ask is how did the hacker find my password in the first place? And are my passwords being discovered direct from malware on one of my devices? Followed up with do I need to keep an email account that is known to hackers and that they will continue to try to access via phishing emails.

daviddonlindsay
First Timer
Message 8 of 14

I have changed the password multiple times but they keep getting access and deleting.  I sent an email to myself asking why and hacker replies with this:

email from hacker.PNG

This is such a disaster for me.  I have no idea what is compromised and I cant seem to re-secure my account....

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Did you reset everything the hacker had changed and secure the mailbox with a new ultra-strong password to lock out the hackers? If you don't change the password then their mail collection and deletion of the Inbox can continue. 

daviddonlindsay
First Timer
Message 10 of 14

Somehow the hacker is back in and deleting things again... they are trying to change passwords on many of my different accounts... TalkTalk please help me!

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Ah, lucky that the password wasn't changed by the hackers. 

As well as comprehensive anti-virus and anti-malware scans you need to check for unexpected filter rules.

And recheck the password recovery reset details to ensure both your mobile and alternative email address remain unchanged.

TalkTalk will let you know about the missing emails. I assume you haven't made any backups? TalkTalk don't offer a backup service. 

For wanted mail messages from a sender that you know you could ask for those to be resent assuming they're still in the originator's sent folder. 

If any fraud has been discovered then report to Action Fraud and pass on the Russian email address. The Police may be able to access the remote mailbox to see what that contains. 

daviddonlindsay
First Timer
Message 12 of 14

Hi @Gondola , thank you, I am running another Kaspersky Virus scan as we speak. 

I have access to my account and I believe I have now changed the recover alternative email - Below I will post a screenshot of the hacker email address; and I have now updated it to my email address. 

alernate email_LI.jpg

Recovering my lost emails is a priority for me. You say it is not easy, but is it impossible? I really would like some emails back. Even if it is not all my emails but the last year or so would be a good start.

I will update private notes in community Profile.

(edit to remove my phone number from public view on the image. I have left hacker email address visible)

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi daviddonlindsay 

Missing emails aren't going to be easy to recover because TalkTalk don't offer a backup service. But we can get you back in control and lock out the hackers.

You must scan and remove any virus, trojan or other malware from your email devices because these could be grabbing passwords.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't yours as they've been changed by the hackers.

A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current home 'phone number (if available). An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery, other notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread from Monday onwards and then Community Personal Message you to confirm your customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password. And when you do get access via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If you see There is no rule defined then you need go no further.
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red   
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know if you need more guidance.