email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email clients not connecting to BTINTERNET email servers

Munners
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

I have already seen a couple of threads relating to this but thought I should start my own so that my issues get addressed.

About 1 month ago, all my email clients stopped working while connecting to our BT mail servers.  My Outlook client reports the error "0x800CCC0F.  The connection to the server was interrupted."

The email client on my iPad and other mobile devices has also stopped working.

Having seen other post on this site, I turned off my wifi on my mobile devices, and the email client started working again.  I also connected my iPad to my phones hotspot, and that started to work as well.

The only conclusion I can come to is that it is being affected by the TalkTalk network in some way.

I attempted a network trace of the Outlook conversation, and could see that it was initiating a TLS v1.2 handshake with mail.btinternet,.com, which replied, but then there was an encrypted alert message.  So it is failing somewhere.

I have tried turning off my router overnight, but this made no difference.

Other posts have mentioned replacing the router and having some success there, but they didn't say if they replaced it with a different model, or the same model with a different firmware.

I am currently using the Huawei hg633 with firmware version 1.22t.

How can I fix this?

Thanks

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

You're very welcome. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Hi OCE_Ady,

I can confirm that the IP address has changed, the firmware has been updated and I can now retrieve my BT emails.

Thanks for your assistance.

Message 3 of 9

Hi Munners, your IP address in showing on Sorbs blacklist. I've had to reset your router to get you a different IP address and you should have no problems now. Incidentally I've updated the firmware on the router to a much better more stable version for you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Hi Munners

I've escalated a request in to the OCE workflow for you and specifically asked that Networks retest the BT Internet account that they have to make sure it's still working.

The Easter holiday means that a response before Wednesday is unlikely but you will get a response.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Munners
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 9

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for the link to BTs settings, but I have already checked them, and as the email clients all work when using 4G or the hotspot on my phone, I think I can rule the setting out of the equation.

Maybe the TalkTalk Networks team need to pay my house a visit where they will see quite clearly that there is a fault, and has been for the past month.

Not sure why I should be using up my mobile data allowance when I pay enough to TalkTalk to use theirs.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Hi @Munners

The Networks team and email admins do have regular liaison regarding blocking of TalkTalk emails.

Just to make sure you have got the right setup, here's the BT page on POP3 and IMAP settings. Note that they do require SMTP mail to be authenticated.  The settings are not the same as TalkTalk mail servers. 

When the TalkTalk Networks team last tested on an email account provided by BT it could not be faulted.

0 Likes

Munners
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 9

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for you reply.

I think that incorrect settings can be eliminated as it works perfectly well when either using the hotspot on my phone or the 4G.

As I said previously, I have also turned off the router overnight in an attempt to get another dynamically allocated IP address, but this did not work.

Is there any way that TalkTalk can force a change of IP address for my router?

The other issue is, why would BT actively block TalkTalks IP addresses?  Surely this should be taken up by TalkTalk with BT!

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Munners

The response from the BT Internet server indicates it doesn't want to talk to you.

Either the SMTP settings are not correct for the BT Internet account or BT Internet is blocking access. 

What some users have indicated previously is that they believe BT Internet is blocking certain IP addresses or address ranges. So, trying to get a new (unblocked) dynamically allocated IP address by switching the router off, waiting up to 30 minutes if on a fibre connection (to avoid upsetting Openreach Dynamic Line Management) is what some people have found success with.

The router swap-out is only another way of trying to get a new dynamic IP address allocated.

Some people have found that changing the router's mode of connection i.e. setting it up incorrectly, then restoring the config will force a different dynamically allocated IP address for a fibre connection.

0 Likes