email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email hacked and can't recover

Al_CR
First Timer
Message 3 of 3

I have talktalk email plus as my personal email account. It was hacked yesterday and the hacker changed the password. Now I can't get in - and I'm stuck in a catch 22.

When I click "forgotten password", the email option says to send it to:

The hacked account

OR Another account that I don't recognise (which probably belongs to the hacker).

I pay £60 per annum and I resent the hacker taking control of a service I've paid good money for...

Why not have a recovery option that sends to a mobile phone number, like most other providers?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 3

Hi Al_CR, I have sent you a personal message to get more information so that we can change the password reset details for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 2 of 3

Hi @Al_CR 

The TalkTalk Mail password recovery Reset details do have the ability to add an alternate email address and mobile 'phone number. Changing your email password - making the password ultra-strong and never used anywhere else and adding Reset details both have to be done whilst the user has control of the mailbox.

I'll let TalkTalk know that the password reset options aren't available to you. A TT Staff member will verify you as the registered email user and set up Reset details so you can get the password changed.

To proceed, please update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current landline and mobile contact 'phone numbers and address with postcode (location) then scroll down to Private notes and add the email address and Save changes.

In due course a TalkTalk Community Team member will reply here and then Community Personal Message you to verify you as the mail user; so be prepared to provide on request to TT Staff only:

• Email address affected
  • Your Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Landline 'phone number and Full postal address linked to the email address when first registered OR TalkTalk account security answers
  • Include Reset details - an active alternate email address and a mobile number to receive a password reset link or code.

When you're verified the Reset details will be set up within 48 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your Password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox.

Do you know how the hacker got access? If you don't know how the password came to be discovered I'd suggest scanning your email devices for password capturing viruses and malware before changing any password.

When you do get access via the TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution