email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems using Outlook and IOS Mail

lockkeeper1
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 13

I can receive emails on my @talktalk.net email account but get SMTP errors when trying to send both on my Outlook and IOS platforms. This has been happening since Christmas week.  I have made no changes to my Outlook or IOS Mail settings.

It also coincides with my leaving TalkTalk and going to Sky. Is this the cause? If so, then fair enough, although I was under the impression that I would be able to use the account for around 12 months.

However, if I log onto TalkTalk Webmail I can send from there successfully. This leaves me wondering whether I have been deliberately excluded from sending TalkTalk emails or whether there is a fault somewhere.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi lockkeeper1,

Thanks for the information, glad to hear that Gondola has helped you resolve the issue 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi Andy

Gondola has kindly answered my query and fixed the problem which was to do with email authorisation via sky broadband.

the problem was with sending emails. They were being received ok.

The errors (as far as I can remember since they've gone now) were;

iPad iOS 10.        Email address xxxxxxx@talktalk.net rejected by server

Windows 7 Outlook (2013).  Can't remember wording but it was to do with SMTP.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi lockkeeper1, I've been asked to obtain these details for each affected user and their devices.

What is the Operating System and version are you using?
What version of Outlook, LiveMail, Apple Mail etc are you using?
What is the exact error message or message you're receiving?
What email domain is your email i.e talktalk.net / Tiscali.co.uk / homecall.co.uk etc.

Please list these with the device and all applicable for each device. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Yes, I already have an alternative email address. Even though I'm retired my company Exchange email address is still active and is still very occasionally used, so it's there if necessary.

Message 5 of 13

Hi lockkeeper1

My personal advice is always to have an alternative to the ISP provided email service for backup and resilience.

The TalkTalk Mail is currently free for all registered users whether current, former or legacy customers.  If there was to be a future charge for former or legacy customers then there would be at least 30 day's notice.  There's nothing in the 'known' pipeline, just my expectation that there might be a future charge.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

Message 6 of 13

Hi Gondola

Thanks for the info and the heads-up regarding future possible charging for email. I believe BT are charging £7.50 per month, so if that does come in then I reckon I'll have to look at Gmail or an alternative.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi lockkeeper1

The TalkTalk Terms and Conditions do say that if you leave TalkTalk you cannot keep your email address.  However, in practice, so long as you actively log in to the email account at least once every 180 days then it will remain active.

The TalkTalk MyAccount access for email account management ends 12 months after leaving TalkTalk.  It's important to make sure you have set up and maintain password recovery options so you do have an alternative to MyAccount for password changes.

All TalkTalk email accounts are being migrated to the new TalkTalk Mail platform.  There's been advice saying that TalkTalk Mail is free for all TalkTalk customers. Which does leave the door open to future charges for non-TalkTalk customers.  So just a heads-up on that possibility.  If it happens it might be comparable to the charges that BT make for ex-BT broadband customers keeping their email accounts.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi Gondola

My Outlook account was originally set up as POP3 so I don't really want to change it as yet.

It's set to delete messages from the server after 14 days but of course since POP3 doesn't normally sync with the server then I'll have to do what I've been doing all along and log into Webmail periodically to manually delete old messages.

By the way, how long do TalkTalk allow me to use my TalkTalk email address? I must admit it's very convenient to be able to keep using it since Sky no longer set up email addresses for users, you have to use a generic account such as Gmail.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi lockkeeper1

Nice one.  Secure ports, SSL encryption and network authentication will do nicely.

If the Outlook POP3 account is set to keep emails on the server you'll probably be ok.  If the POP3 account is set to default and deletes emails on download then your emails won't be seen on the IMAP device. Personally, I'd prefer to have all devices connecting as IMAP accounts.

If you do wish to change from POP3 to IMAP here's another general advice article for Outlook.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi Gondola

Thanks for your reply. I've now got the SMTP working on both platforms. Outlook insisted on POP3  (greyed out as unalterable) but changing the ports and adding authentication worked OK.

IOS was a bit more guesswork but again by setting up my normal authentication in the (optional) fields and changing the port numbers it then worked.

Thanks for your help.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 13

Hi @lockkeeper1

To successfully send an email it requires authentication. That authentication is provided by the network.  Insecure email sending will get authentication by being connected to the TalkTalk network. But as you're now connected to the Sky network just use fully authenticated secure sending via the talktalk SMTP server.

Here's the TalkTalk advice article on IMAP settings to use for your devices.

Ensure you're using plain password authentication. 

Any problems setting up the Mail app, let me know of the error message and take and post some screenshots of the outgoing server setup using the photos icon above this Reply area.  Obscure any personally identifiable details before posting.

0 Likes

lockkeeper1
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 13
I would add that I have checked my settings are OK as advised in the Recent Authentication Changes posting.
0 Likes