email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails Disappear

Henderofhonk
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 13

I've been a TalkTalk mail users for a number of years. A few days ago I setup Talktalk as my mail client on an older Iphone5. Since then all my emails are just disappearing. They will go into webmail for 5 minutes and then just disappear. I have tried deleting the account from the iphone but the emails are still disappearing into space. Switching the phone off makes no difference.

I've tried updating the iphone software to the latest version then deleting and recreating the account all to no avail.I know there is a difference between pop and imap setups but I am assuming that it is using imap as it doesn't give you the opportunity to specify which.

Any ideas? Is it possible to repair my mailbox and recover any emails from the last 7 days?

many thanks for any help

Phil

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

You're welcome Phil. Please shout if you need anything.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi thanks for getting back so quick. No I dont think so.

We read emails usually via outlook on a laptop and via my wifes iphone 6 (and occasionally via webmail). We had no problems with email. We could read them on the phone and laptop and none went missing. The phone did not delete them from the server only the laptop downlaod did this.

Last week this iphone was ruined by falling into water. It is completely powered off and dead. We have reverted to using my sons old iphone 5. I set this up to use talk email using this and this is when the problems began. I can understand that I could have set it up incorrectly to be a POP type but I have completely removed the account and powered it off and the emails are still disappearing from webmail.

Thanks for checking the account. We will set the phone back to factory defaults and see if this helps. Good to know there is not an issue with server side setup.

Phil

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

I've double checked your account and everything would appear to be in order. Is it possible and please don't be insulted by this its not intended as such, but is it possible that you've got another device that you've passed on or forgotten about that may be fetching the mail?

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Im afraid not. They still disappear from Webmail after 5 minutes.

I am assuming it is an issue with the iphone but it is strange that most of the emails do not make it to the iphone inbox they just completely disappear. Also they disappear when the iphone is swictched off and the account removed. 

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 13

Is it any better? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Brilliant. Thanks for that I will take a look and let you knoe.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

I've repaired the mailbox for you. Let us know how you get on. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi Andy,

I have instated this forward to stop losing any important emails. Can you just go ahead and repair while this is still in place. I wouldn't want to lose anymore emails

thanks
0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will take a look at this. The issue is that the emails disappear even when teh iphone is turned off and they are not even appearing on the phone when it is switched on.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 13

Hi Henderofhonk, are you aware that you've got a mail forward sending all your mail to another mailbox. It looks like it's going to be one of your own, but if it's not you need to turn off the forward immediately. There's no point me repairing whilst it's in place.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 11 of 13

Hi @Henderofhonk

If the email app on the iPhone is set up as a default POP3 account then it will download emails from the email mailbox and delete from the server so you'll not see those emails either in Webmail or on another device.

If that's what's happened then the emails will be on the iPhone.  They'll not be anywhere else and if they have been downloaded from the mailbox they'll not normally be recoverable as TalkTalk do not run a backup facility for customer emails. So save the emails before deleting the email account from the iPhone. Or just keep the iPhone off for the moment whilst troubleshooting.

Log in to TalkTalk Webmail.  Check that it's working ok for send and receive and that with the iPhone not connected that emails stay in the mailbox. Check to make sure that email forwarding is not active. Also check to make sure there are no filters active that might be diverting incoming mail to other folders.

When setting up the iPhone do select an IMAP account and manual settings and check and recheck the settings as the automatic setup does like to make assumptions on what it thinks is the correct setup that might not be appropriate.

Select an IMAP account and to force the iPhone to go to the manual settings just put in an incorrect password, just the once. When you get to the manual setup screens you can correct the password.

The TalkTalk.net email settings for manual setup are:

Account Type  IMAP
Login / Username username@talktalk.net
Password Yes
Sign in Yes
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security SSL
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Yes

If you need help with the settings then take screenshots of the setup screens and post here using the Photos icon above this Reply area. Do obscure before posting any personal data like the first part of the email address. 

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and add the talktalk email address to Private notes and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to link to that TalkTalk email account to check it out.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Message 12 of 13

Have you checked the existing situation, using TalkTalk Webmail, via your Browser, at - https://apps.talktalk.co.uk/appsuite/ - @Henderofhonk?

~R.