email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails disappeared

Linda1962
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 14

My Talktalk emails prior to today have disappeared from my inbox, including flagged emails that I needed to keep. I don’t know why this has happened. Is there anything I can do to retrieve them?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Linda, Gondola is right I'm afraid. Any mail missing is gone for good.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 14

Hi Linda

The good news is that it looks like the actions taken to change the password and check the mailbox shows the mailbox working normally.

But, as TalkTalk do not offer a backup service then unless you've got copies of the mail messages backed up then anything left in the Inbox that's now seemingly downloaded and deleted is not recoverable.

Other folders (My folders) would be unaffected if it was a POP3 mail collection that's taken place because POP3 interacts only with the Inbox.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 14

I emailed myself and it sent ok and I received it. Does this mean that the old emails that I have lost have gone for good?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

OK, Linda

If you got a screen saying there are no rules defined that's perfect. The password change will have locked out any devices and sign ins not under your control and the absence of Filter rules and Auto forward means there's nobody viewing your mail messages.

The self test of sending yourself a mail message should prove the mailbox is working as expected as the mail message should arrive in and stay in the Inbox until you choose to Delete it.

So far as you can tell, is the mailbox now sending and receiving mail messages as normal?

Message 5 of 14

Hi,

I changed the email password and got on desktop top site, the auto forward was no enabled but there was no filter rules option 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi Linda, me again.

Did you successfully change the email password so that you're now signing in via a browser on your iPhone to your TalkTalk mailbox.

Enter your email address, select Continue.

Enter your email password, select Sign in.

The mobile browser does have access to the Auto forward setup but not the full set of filter rules that are available only to a desktop browser or mobile browser in desktop mode.

So, to check the Auto forward is not enabled:

• Select the cog icon, top right header
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the arrowhead on the Mail (or Email) row
  • Select Auto forward
  • Make sure that's not enabled
    and not forwarding to an unexpected email address

To check the full set of Filter rules you can do that via your iPhone but first you need to ask the browser to select the Desktop site.

• Select the triple vertical dots top right to see the browser menu
  • You may need to scroll down to Select Desktop site
  • The browser will drop into desktop mode more suited to a larger screen
  • You may need to sign in to your mailbox once more
  • Select the triple line icon, top right header
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the arrowhead on the Mail (or Email) row
  • Select Filter rules
  • If there are any Filter rules:
    Delete each rule by selecting the dustbin icon on the right of each row
    Confirm delete

Let us know what you found, if anything.

Now check by sending yourself a mail message. Compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Let us know of any error message, or if mail does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.  But hopefully, no mail will disappear and you'll now have a fully working mailbox under your complete control.

Message 7 of 14

Thanks for trying to help but I don’t have settings come up when I press the horizontal lines on the left. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Log into webmail and on the right click on the 3 horizontal lines. Click on settings and then on the left you've got the options choose Email then your dropdown options are there. Choose auto forward and if there's anything in there remove them and double check the filters whilst there too. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Thanks Ady

The only filter option I have is unread, how do I check if forwards are set up?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

In that case it's important to check the mail filters and forwards to make sure that there are none setup. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14
I haven’t connected to a new device I am using Webmail on my iPhone 11
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 14

Hi Linda1962, are you using webmail or a mail client?

Ady

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi Linda

If you've recently connected a new device or mail collection service to pick up your mail messages then the mail messages from the Inbox will have been downloaded to the device or collection service and the originals deleted from the Inbox. That's the default action when mail messages are picked up by what's known as POP3 protocol.

So, the messages will be on the new device or newly connected service. If that's not under your control then you should consider that your mailbox is compromised and someone knows the password.

You would be best advised to scan your devices to remove viruses, trojans and password grabbing malware and then Change your email password.

Let us know if you need further advice or help and support.