email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails disappeared

Elena71
First Timer
Message 14 of 14

Please help! 

My emails have disappeared! What is going on?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Elena71, unfortunately as Gondola has said there's no backup offered by TalkTalk. Gondola will help you find the missing mails if they're there to be found.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 14

Hi Michelle

i am accessing through homecall webmail only on my laptop at the moment. A couple of weeks ago i was trying to set up my email on my new phone and that maybe caused the problem because most of the emails i lost are around that time. i checked the filters and that's not any

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hello,

How are you accessing your email? Through webmail or a client? Do you have your email set up on more than one device? Have you checked any filters or rules that may be set up on your account?

Thanks

Message 4 of 14

Hi Elena71 

I'd normally expect that either the emails are in the server Inbox / Trash or if they'd been downloaded and deleted then in the Inbox of the device set up as a POP3 account.

Check all online folders and all folders of the 'phone. If you do not see the mail messages then the only option is to get them resent from the originators. 

There's no TalkTalk backup service. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 5 of 14

Thanks Gondola. I was attempting to set up the web account trying different POP3  connections on the new phone but i didn't managed to. But somehow i must have messed up my homecall web mail because it seems most of the emails i lost are from that time, at the beginning of November. Does it mean i have no chance of recovering them?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi Elena71 

If the setup of an email app on the 'phone as a POP3 connection was you then the 'phone Inbox is where all mail messages will have been downloaded. Look in the 'phone's email Inbox. Save the wanted mail messages to a local folder outside of the email app or perhaps send them to another email account to make sure you have a backup.  You'll need to enter the new password to get online to send the messages to another email account.

There is no TalkTalk backup service to call on so it's up to the user to make backup copies of wanted mail messages. 

Message 7 of 14

Hi Gondola i have managed to change the password. Is there a way now i can recover all my lost emails? Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Thanks Gondola. I think it might have me trying to set up my web mail on my new phone as it was asking for POP3 details etc... Funny enough some emails lost were about my new phone contract. This is so complicated. i will try now to follow your instructions

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Elena71 

If all mail messages older than two weeks are gone then that could indicate a new connection has been made to the online mailbox by someone setting up your email address as a POP3 email account that would download and delete mail messages. Deletion of mail older than two weeks is a typical default setting of POP3 email software like Outlook, for example.

If that email software is not under your control then scan your email devices to be sure they're not hosting any password grabbing virus, trojan or other malware and then change and upgrade the password.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your homecall email address and its password, select Sign in.

This is to check the current password is working for the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in.  You can check your password recovery Reset details via the TalkTalk Mail main settings menu.

Password recovery Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email address and or mobile number can receive a password reset link or 6 digit code. Please try the Forgotten your password? option. Enter your email address, complete the reCAPTCHA security and select Continue.

If there's an alternate email address or mobile number shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please select one of those to send a password reset. If you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail then for routine password changes select the password reset to be sent to the account itself or, preferably, update Reset details via the TalkTalk Mail main settings menu then use the Forgotten Password journey.

Let us know how you get on with changing the password.

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current home 'phone number (if available). An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery, other notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

Heads up that if you are not a TalkTalk Consumer (home broadband) customer your mailbox may get limited or restricted to webmail only access unless you've subscribed to   TalkTalk Mail Plus to retain the use of a TalkTalk Mail email address that includes the homecall domain.

Message 10 of 14

Hi Gondola, thank you for reply. I am not sure how to change the password as i have a homecall address. Apparently i am supposed to log into a talk talk account to do it but i haven't got one. I had a look at the filters and i don't have any. I have lost recent (two weeks old)important emails that were flagged. I am really stressed. I think my email address might have been hacked

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi Elena71 

Perhaps you would answer my reply to your first post so we have an idea of how you view your mail messages and where you are as regards moving mail messages.

It would be a lot easier if you were to change your email password to lock out all devices so we can ask you to Sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail to check the online mailbox is working correctly and so we can guide you to get the mail messages restored from Trash to the online Inbox. Heads up that the online Trash folder normally contains only the last 30 days of deleted mail messages.

Elena71
First Timer
Message 12 of 14

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

My emails are disappearing. I have noticing that were going straight to trash. I started to move them back but now most of them have disappeared from trash too.

What is going on?

I need those emails urgently!

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi Elena71 

When you say disappeared, it would be helpful to know where from? How do you view your mail messages? 

• Via an Internet browser sign in direct to your online mailbox
  • Via a third-party mail collection service
  • Using email software on a computer or mobile device

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know of any error message, or if mail did not arrive in the Inbox or disappeared from the Inbox. Collecting mail messages with a POP3 mail account or mail collection service, like Gmail, may be deleting messages from the online Inbox.

If you see anything suspicious that you haven't set up then maybe your password has been discovered. Scan your email devices to be sure they're not hosting any password grabbing virus, trojan or other malware and then change and upgrade the password.