email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails lost after talktalk outage

Micky6string
First Timer
Message 4 of 4

Hi, so today's problems with talktalk email seems to have caused a whole bunch of emails to go missing from one of my accounts. Is it possible to get them reinstated?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi Micky6string 

I'd always advise, if she doesn't know how the mailbox password came to be discovered to scan email devices for password grabbing viruses, trojans and other malware before changing a password.

She's done the right thing to update her Reset details for password recovery and to upgrade the password. That will lock out the hacker from direct access to the mailbox and stop any unauthorised collection of mail messages.

Via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting her mail messages.

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know if you need more guidance.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 4

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for the reply. Breakdown in communication with my wife (it's here email). It actually looks like the account might have been hacked. She's changed the password so hopefully it won't recur. But her in-box was seemingly deleted, without appearing in trash. She also noticed an external email address in the list of assoicated emails (a.lumb1@ntlworld) which she deleted.

Thankfully, there wasn;t anything sensitive in the lost in-box.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks, Mick

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

Hi Micky6string 

The inbound MX mail servers remained working. If mail was accepted for delivery then that mail will have been buffered and will be delivered in due course.  If mail was somehow not accepted for delivery then the originator would get a bounceback error message.

TalkTalk don't offer a backup service so other than the inbound mail buffering, which is temporary storage, there's no recovery of mail messages. 

Have you checked in TalkTalk Mail webmail to see if mail has arrived in the Inbox / Spam / Trash folders?  And checked that there's no Auto forward or other Filter rule diverting mail from your Inbox.  I assume you're not using another mail collection service to pick up mail from your Inbox and then delete that picked up mail message?

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution