email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not getting through to btinternet email addresses

jmurphy
Chat Champion
Message 10 of 10

I raised a query about this on the end of an existing thread but I am starting this thread in the hope of a personal response. I use Outlook and a dsl.pipex.com address and have recently experienced failure of emails to reach btinternet email addresses, they are timed out after 24.9 hours.

Having read through other threads and help pages I am bewilderd by what I may have to do to my email settings to sort this problem.

I found a help page showing the recommended settings for dsl.pipex.com and have added to it my current settings. I would be grateful if someone could advise my next steps 

Account Type 

DSL 

My current settings

abc12@dsl.pipex.com or alias@dsl.pipex.com

alias@dsl.pipex.com

Incoming email (POP3)

pop.dsl.pipex.com

pop.dsl.pipex.com

Outgoing email (SMTP)

smtp.dsl.pipex.com

smtp.talktalk.net

Incoming Port (IMAP) Secure

Can’t see IMAP anywhere

Incoming Port (POP3) Secure

995 (note, only appears as POP not POP3

Outgoing Port (IMAP & POP3) Secure

START TLS/TLS/SSL

Yes

none

Outgoing Authentication

Yes

Box not checked

Some email applications might ask you to configure the (Incoming) Authentication in Advanced Settings: select “Password” or “Normal password” (make sure you do not use “MD5” or “Encrypted password”).

If you use Outlook, please make sure the “Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” checkbox is not ticked in your account settings. We do not support SPA. SPA is not selected

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Hi jmurphy 

Great news!  And thanks for taking time out to come back and confirm. It's always good to see an issue resolved.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

At last my btinternet contact has decided to look at their email and, marvelous news, my message has been received!

So, thanks for all your help, the BTinternet non-delivery problem is over.

Message 4 of 10

Hi @jmurphy 

Many thanks for keeping us updated. There is a current issue with blocking of the pipex server by some email service providers but I'm confident that, now you are using encrypted and authenticated emails, BTInternet will accept your emails.

It might be worth checking with your recipient in the next 24 hours using an alternate email address.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 10

That's great, thanks for updating us. Hopefully, it's sorted now. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

I sent a message to one of my btinternet contacts yesterday at 10.47 am and have not heard from them whether it got through or not. However, I have not had the dreaded mailer-daemon message saying it was rejected after 24.9 hours. I have sent emails to other, non-btinternet, contacts and had responses to them so it appears that email is functioning. Not having had the 24.9 hour notice makes me hopeful the btinternet way is now clear. I don't want to chase the btinternet contact but they will respond if the message has got to them, for some reason they may have not checked their emails.

I will update when I know for sure.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Please let us know how you get on. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Thanks Gondola. I have changed my settings as suggested and sent a message to one of my btinternet contacts to see if it gets through.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi @jmurphy 

It would be a great way to start the week by updating the Outlook settings.

It depends which version of Outlook you're using.  For Outlook 2016 the dsl.pipex POP3 email settings you need are:

Account Type  POP3
Username alias@dsl.pipex.com
Password Yes
POP mail server name pop.dsl.pipex.com
Incoming Port 995
Incoming Encrypted Connection SSL
SMTP mail server name smtp.dsl.pipex.com
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Encrypted Connection STARTTLS (1)
Require Network Authentication Yes

In summary, when you use a secure encrypted connection and have network authentication then BTInternet will accept your emails.

(1) If there's no option to use STARTTLS set to Auto or if there's just tick boxes for 'requires an encrypted connection' just tick the box.

0 Likes