email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not received

impy1980
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 16

Has anyone experienced not receiving some emails?

I'm experiencing this on my tiscali.co.uk email. Short story to fill in the gaps, I'm in the middle of ordering/buying something. I was on the phone to the sales guy earlier today, he asks me if I got his email yesterday, I said no, he then sends me a 2nd email, I check my email set up on my email server on my NAS via the imap protocol, I see nothing, he tells me it was sent at 14:47, so I log into the web interface, nothing, but there was an email from another sender so it appeared there wasn't a total outage. I told him to try to send it to my Gmail to eliminate any issues from his end, so he forwarded the sent email, I get the email in my Gmail in box at 14:52.

I then tested sending and receiving between my Tiscali email and Gmail, both successful.

I know I've had no problem receiving from the sales guy before, as I have an email from him dated 16th Feb, that was sent when I was face to face with him.

Unlike the above incident, which I can 100% verify was sent but not received, I believe there has been another incident where I have not received email, I got an email from another sales guy (I'm shopping around), I replied to that email on the 15th asking for an updated quote, so I would expect a reply, I haven't received any reply, although I haven't spoken to that guy to ask, I'm 85% sure he would've got back to me.

I've checked all my folders, including spam/junk in case they randomly got put there, folder(s) empty, I only really use this email address for "formal stuff", I use an older lineone.net for mailing lists and shopping stuff, coz I know random junk is likely to be attracted to that, so I have no spam filters setup on my Tiscali account.

I did start a "help" thing in Twitter DMs but "Mitchell" was so fixated on his CS script that it took forever, I mean asking "is your email .co.uk or .net?" and then "what's the part of your email before @?" in 2 questions rather than 1 question "what's the email address that you're having issues with?" just added unnecessary steps and wasted time. Then responses went dead at 6:53pm (I'm guessing the Twitter team went home), I first contacted them at 4:48pm, so 2 hours later, and the last thing he told me to do was the following..

"Please kindly confirm these steps for Email settings for TalkTalk Account:
1. Login to Talktalk Mail
2. Select Settings from the menu on the upper-left of the navigation bar (was actually the upper right)
3. Then select Accounts and click Edit in E-mail
4. Then it will display your email.
5. To finish, click Cancel."

No idea why he asked me to do that, didn't seem to make sense or be related.

Then he said "Are the details from the Email Name box now showing in both the Account Name and Reply To fields too?", I didn't see any "Reply To field, and told him, I haven't changed anything within the web interface since I setup my home email server on my NAS over 3 years when I had to swap a setting to change from a pop protocol to imap, and I haven't changed anything on the email server side since either, and no new devices or apps have had email account added to since before that 3 year period as I use my NAS email phone app to access the emails, so technically the phone doesn't need the imap settings. That's as far as Mitchell got before I assumed he went home.

Any confirmation of other instances may help TalkTalk see there's an issue.

Seems strange it's only some emails, from some senders, and not 
consistent, who knows if it's happened before.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

I'll let you know when the team have whitelisted the sender. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 16

Thanks for confirming that it was a TalkTalk issue. Is this automated, or is it an option that can be toggled? Because if it's a toggle or has "levels" then for that email box I would like to request it be turned off or down, as I would prefer to filter my own spam.

OK, is there anyway I can keep update on the status on the removal? Or will you (TalkTalk) inform me, as I would really like to get my Tiscali email put back on the senders system at some point, I only use Gmail when I really have to.

Thank you for trusting in my assertion it was on TalkTalk's end and nothing I had set on my end.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi impy1980, thanks for confirming the security information. I've run a check over the last 7 days and can see that we've blocked legitimate mail from the sender in question having allowed the first one through.

I've requested that we remove the sender from the spam block list. I'm not sure how long this will take.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 16

Hi impy1980 

If the same sending system was being used for two different messages with pdf attachments and one received and one dropped by the inbound mx tiscali.co.uk mailserver then TalkTalk Support can see if both of those events are logged.

You can carry out a check yourself on the jct600 sending system. Compare the mail message received by your tiscali mailbox at 16.29 on 24th with the one received by your Gmail mailbox shortly after.

Timestamps, mail server names and IP addresses are added to the email at each stage of the journey of the mail message as it gets relayed from sender to recipient. The recipient can view and analyze the email header. Use the Analyze Headers feature of MXtoolbox.com https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx

Probably the most useful header line is the one that starts 'Received: from' and ends with 'by mx.tiscali.co.uk with SMTP'

This line has the sending server name and IP address enclosed within round and square brackets. Below that line is usually where information about spam and authentication is shown.

The mail header marked up by Gmail will look different but there should be an equivalent line starting with 'Received: from' and ends with 'by mx.google.com with ESMTP'.  The key is looking for the receipt of the email by the respective mx mail servers to see if there's any difference in the sending server name and IP address.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

Message 5 of 16

That makes sense, and if the TalkTalk email servers were down in the past, which I seem to remember in the last 6 or so months has happened, then perhaps you're right and emails just happened to be undeliverable at the same time something was sent from a particular server. I'm not privy or that knowledgeable about email backends, but if jct600.co.uk are using Outlook, and if it's the same server system as the consumer Outlook, then I've been able to successfully send a test from my @hotmail.com, but them I guess that doesn't mean much being only 1 instant and probably uses different servers, but thought I'd mention it.

I can also probably rule out your PDF different mail sender theory, as the sales guy had sent 2 emails that had PDFs attached, one arrived, the other didn't, I've asked him what time the 2nd one was sent, and I'll post that date and time when I have the details, but it would have been sent close to the one that did arrive at 16:29, so whatever is causing this, it's very selective.

I sent him an email from my Tiscali email at 17:24 yesterday (24/02/2022) saying I hadn't get his test message, and told him the 2 emails that did arrive, 1 from him (jct600.co.uk) and one from an external partner (itccompliance.co.uk) - which I would expect to be unaffected, and if he had sent others then to inform me and also to change my email address on their system to my Gmail, as these are important business emails and I don't want to miss anything important. So he is able to receive my Tiscali emails fine, as I received resent emails this morning to my Gmail account.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Hi impy1980, I need to verify your ID before I can provide more information. I've sent you a personal message. 

Ady

Message 7 of 16

Hi impy1980 

I don't see any obvious issue with either originating domain but I haven't checked every possible sending IP address as there are many options listed. There's no common factor linking the domains in relation to the mail sending services they use.

Which leads me to conclude that mail sending may have been suppressed by more than one mail sender due to a past delivery issue to your tiscali email address. Mail sending services will suppress sending to an address if there's been a permanent fail to deliver issue. This suppression is to protect against being blacklisted for repeated attempts to send to undeliverable addresses. Although your address is available for delivery now, the sender suppression may still be in place. I'm going to speculate that the mail with the pdf attachment is being sent from a different mail sender and that's why it is delivered.

TalkTalk will be able to check the inbound mail to your mailbox. The successful mail delivery will be seen and any rejected or deferred mail will be seen.

Message 8 of 16

OK fair enough, I wasn't aware you couldn't see the private notes. The domain for the confirmed missing emails is jct600.co.uk, the domain for the unconfirmed suspected email is vertuvolkswagen.com, I'm only giving the suspected one just in case you discover the confirmed one, and might be able to check the other too.

Right, I'll get the updated email settings implemented in the near further, although that wouldn't effect the incident, as I witnessed the latest missing email, and subsequent email arriving within the TalkTalk Mail web interface and rather than via any client / app.

Both my legacy emails have been linked to my account yes. I did this when TalkTalk pushed email notifications of the charge for non-TalkTalk customers to use their email system, as the email addresses were setup when I lived with my parents many years ago, and my mum is no longer a TalkTalk customer, so I made sure to protect them email boxes.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi impy1980 

I don't have access to see your personal details in your Community profile so that's why I'm asking for the sending mail domain.

You're using legacy mail settings so those need to be updated. All TalkTalk Consumer mailboxes use the same Email Settings.

Supported* email client and app settings are:

Account Type  IMAP
Username Full Tiscali email address
Password Tiscali email password
IMAP server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Outgoing Authentication Required Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password

It's also important to make sure the email address is added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount to avoid restriction to webmail only access and possible deletion. 

Email not showing in My Account

TalkTalk Mail Plus is the mail only subscription service for TalkTalk Mail users in the UK that are not home broadband customers.

* Email clients, apps and devices that do not support secure mail using a minimum of TLS1.2 connection security are not supported.

Message 10 of 16

As I've stated the senders email address is in my the private notes, as you requested, although it's a business domain address. a screenshot from him and the browser tab icon tells me they are using Microsoft Outlook web as their email client / backend.

I can also rule out any third party involvement, and anything happening on the NAS interfering. Here's why, when I was on the phone to the sender today, I didn't have the NAS client open and it only syncs on the hour, I had the web interface open from the moment I asked him to send a test, and I watched, no email at 16:25 with "testing" in it appeared, and then when he told me he'd sent a 2nd email (business related - without checking if I received the first email), that arrived at 16:29. Emails are always going to hit the web interface i.e. the TalkTalk servers first, and if I'm watching the inbox, I would have seen the email arrive and disappear if someone had access else where.

I've uploading a PDF that includes the Incoming and Outgoing settings, although since I've just explained that I watched the web interface to view events in real time, I can't see why the NAS email server would make any difference, due to it accessing the TalkTalk email servers periodically via IMAP (every 60 mins on the hour - so the NAS wasn't accessing at the times stated), which as I understand it, all my email server is doing is reading my email box on the TalkTalk server, and if I "read", move or delete anything via the web interface then that is how it will and does appear in my NAS client QmailAgent (QNAP), and vice versa. Unlike POP which would actually download from the TalkTalk email box server (and remove them from the server unless specified), so even if someone did have access using POP settings, I would've seen that in affect when I was watching, whilst also I would've seen both todays emails 16:25 and 16:29 come and disappear, before the hypothetical 3rd party person's POP client initiated, but I didn't see such a thing, it would be strange for 1 to be deleted and not the other, and if the hypothetical 3rd person was deleting stuff, you'd leave the testing email and delete the other, that's what I'd do so not to look suspicious.

I only use my NAS email server to collate multiple email boxes in to one place, which includes Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail and 2 TalkTalk emails, the other is lineone.net but I wouldn't notice any issues on that mailbox because the address is only used for mailing list stuff, and the odd online shopping account, the typical junk mail attraction stuff. I do not use the NAS email server for a personal domain or anything like that.

I'm more than willing to answer any further questions, but I firmly believe this is a TalkTalk side issue, or something prior to emails hitting the mail box, I certainly don't believe it's anything to do with my NAS email server or 3rd person involvement.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Let us know the sending email domain; otherwise it's guessing time on what might be happening. Receiving mail from the sender including a pdf attachment proves that there is no TalkTalk block on the sender. A red herring when it comes to identifying the root cause of missing mail. 

We have no details from you on your NAS mail server configuration. I assume you use that to send personal domain email. Is the NAS configured as an IMAP4 email client to connect to the TalkTalk mailbox to view mail messages? What are the IMAP client server settings in use?

Have you changed the TalkTalk Mail password recently? If not I would do so. This is to lock out any other potential means of downloading and deleting mail before your NAS server synchronises to the TalkTalk Mail mailbox. 

0 Likes

impy1980
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 16

Here's an update, I was on the phone with the sender today (to finalise a deal) and I asked him to send a "testing" email (16:25 today), that also did not arrive, however an email he sent with a PDF attached did arrive at 16:29.

So there has to be a bug in the system somewhere, if some of his emails are arriving, but not others.

Again I have not setup any filters on any of my TalkTalk owned email domains, I manually vet everything on my email server side, no automation involved anywhere from me.

0 Likes

impy1980
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 16

I've added the info you asked for to the private notes.

And your instructions are the first thing I checked, as I explained, folders empty as expected, and I do not have any rules set up, as everything is dealt with via my NAS email server, I only use the web interface when I really need to.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 16

Hi impy1980, please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Gondola
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi impy1980 

Please add your tiscali email address and the sender's email address to your Community profile Private notes and TalkTalk Support will check for the second missing email sent at 14:47 23Feb2022.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your tiscali email address and password, select Sign in.

Please double-check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

I see you say there is no filter rule defined in your tiscali mailbox. Please confirm when you select Filter rules that you see the message 'There is no filter rule defined'.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

What is the sending domain? the part of the email address after the @ symbol? I'll look for any known issues with the sender.