email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails not sending

TeeBeeUK
Whizz Kid
Message 8 of 8

Has been fine all day until a couple of hours ago. Several emails sat in my outbox and getting error messages. It says too many recipents but it's only to one person. I have sent some emails earlier today (I send out a regular newsletter to a few people) but never had this problem before.

Is it a case of waiting? How long please?

The message could not be sent. The setting for your outgoing email [SMTP] server might need to be configured. To find the server settings for 'xxxxx', please contact your email service provider.

Subject
Server Error: 453
Server Response: 453 4.1.1 Wizxncvc7XnPf Too Many Recipients (TT502)
Server: 'smtp.talktalk.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC79
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): Yes

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

I'm sure we haven't made any changes, but in the interests of supporting you as best I can I've asked our email managers if they've made any changes.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

TeeBeeUK
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 8

Yes Ady. I'm aware but I haven't experienced any problems previously. I regularly do the same thing every 2 months and it's not happened before...just yesterday. 

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 8

The sending limits have been in place for several years. They're in place to stop the spammers. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 8

Hi TeeBeeUK 

Do you have a system for unsubscribing email addresses that fail delivery? People do often mark unwanted mail as spam or block receipt when they no longer want the mailshots. 

The general advice is to keep distribution lists small and for a large mailshot to spread out sending during the day. You should then be able to send to several hundreds of addresses of willing recipients without triggering the recipients per hour limiter TT501 error or recipients per day limiter TT502 error. 

If you use TalkTalk Mail webmail or an email client supporting TLS 1.2 connection security and the settings I've shown then your sending will be secure and fully authenticated. 

The most important recent change is to remove support for WLM in line with Government security requirements for a minimum connection security of TLS 1.2.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

TeeBeeUK
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 8

What's said in no doubt correct but I've been doing the same for a very long time so somethings changed recently as not experienced problems for a number of years. I send out bimonthly magazines and mailshots for a local charity. 

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 8

Hi TeeBeeUK, Gondola's advice is absolutely spot on. Please let us know how you get on. 

Ady

Gondola
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi TeeBeeUK 

The answer to how long to wait is at least 24 hours to get a full reset of the daily sending limit counter that's temporarily put a stop on sending.  But you may get a partial sending allowance back in the run up to the full reset so long as the TT502 error hasn't been triggered by Spam protection because some of your recipient addresses aren't deliverable or are not accepting mail. If that's happened then your sending may be rate limited to a very low level before the stop on sending is withdrawn in (usually) 24 hours after the last fail to send.

But the error message is directing you to get updated settings for your email client. Unfortunately that's not going to be possible because your email client Windows Live Mail (WLM) is so outdated it does not support the required secure email settings recommended by TalkTalk.

In the waiting time, is it possible for you to consider switching to TalkTalk Mail webmail or a supported email client that does support TLS 1.2 connection security? For example, Thunderbird if you're needing a free and up to date classic feel to email that's not too different from WLM.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

All TalkTalk Consumer mailboxes use the same Email Settings.

Supported* email client and app settings are:

Account Type  IMAP
User Name Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

* Email clients, apps and devices that do not support secure mail using a minimum of TLS1.2 connection security are not supported.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes