email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails timing out : Thunderbird

daveac
Enlightened One
Message 14 of 14

Well I am having this problem with emails & Thunderbird

Thought - since I just renewed my contract that there had been a change to 'emails in general' to the point where I have just spent time setting up 'online email' viewing.

Having found this thread I have tried to reconfigure/check my outgoing & incoming setting in Thunderbird but not managed to get it working as yet.

One complication with my 'tiscali' emails is that I have 4 of them - with the online option which I really don't want to switch to I have just setup my main email address.

Reading posts such as 'our emails have been updated/improved' didn't help my thinking as I was thinking ... oh, no does that mean the old 'tiscali' emails have been dropped?

I was thinking this as a relate said their old 'tesco' email seemed to have dropped a while back.

Will try again tomorrow but still not sure if I should have left my Thunderbird settings alone and waited for things to settle ie. once you start messing with these things you can really mess them up! (rant over)

Regards, Dave AC

Co-Host on The Cultdom Collective Podcast & Doctor Who Podshock
daveac blog at https://daveac.wordpress.com/
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Great work as always Gondola. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 14

You're welcome Dave.

Just one more hopefully helpful reminder that Thunderbird has its own password manager to store passwords for incoming and outgoing servers.

• Tools
  • Options
  • Privacy & Security
  • Passwords
  • Saved Passwords
  • Show Passwords
  • Confirm Yes

You can check and remove any out of date passwords.

Good to know that you're pretty much back in action and can concentrate on the podcasts.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 14

OK, thanks Gondola

It seem as though because I was signed out of Mail but signed in the 'Community' forum (which is signed not with my main email - when I also then openned the login for Mail - my 'password/id' defaulted to the 'community one ie. I was signing into Mail with that ID that had never used the App - and it treated me as a new user.

I had tried to go into the Mail I had setup and was working to re-check that the password as Thunderbird wasn't accepting it.

So (so for the long explanation but likely others will make this slip) I shut down my PC and had my lunch -.

This time I made sure I entered the Mail App with the main account email and that was OK - I also used my 'password viewer' to check and I must have altered the password on that email account recently - probably after reading things in this forum.

Going back to Thunderbird I was able to switch to that new password there and behold .... Thunderbird connected and fetched my main emails - Success!

So thanks for the help Gondola - I will mainly use Thunderbird going forward but at lease have the App working - with unfortunately a second App with the one email address - which I may just leave for now

Thank you - Dave C

The 'Portal' info great too - thanks

Message 4 of 14

The new user message and inital tour of TalkTalk Mail webmail features would indicate that you've just created a new talktalk.net email address in your customer MyAccount.

When you sign in to a TalkTalk Mail account via webmail then on the blue header you'll see the app selections starting with Portal. Select Portal and that'll indicate which mailbox you're signed in to.

Message 5 of 14

The main email account doesn't state what it is

the added emails do

I was asked to give a mobile number and a different email in case things when wrong so I could be contacted

So I put in a 'gmail' account address that I have and I'm not sure if its using that?

Sorry - but I was 90% there - now it seems to be starting afresh

Likely my fault. With Thunderbird I have 3 out of 4 addresses working with the 'password' for the last not being accepted.

Will (as I said before) take a break now

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Thanks

But not sure what's happened now to my TalkTalk MAIL account online as that just welcomed me as a 'new user' and doesn't have the 4 email accounts I had 5 minutes ago.

Will take a break and check later

Think it may be due to wanting me top switch to stronger passwords?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Dave

For a POP3 mailbox the incoming server setting is port 995.

All other settings are good.

Message 8 of 14

Hang on 

seen the mention it 'should' be 995 and not 993

Let me change that

Dave

OK

That change back to 995 - brought up the 'give password book (and save) for 3 of my 4 of my email addresses. May need to check my final password

BUT Thanks getting it 'mostly' working now

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Here are my Thunderbird settings - they seem correct other thatr it saying 'default 995' after the Box with 993 set

Image addedThunderbird Settings.jpg

Cheers Dave AC

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Dave

I'm confident that you'll get Thunderbird back in action using the settings I've given in the IMAP server settings table. 

When you're ready, take screenshots of the Server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address then upload here so I can see what you see in your Thunderbird setup. 

I'll help you with any changes.

Edit: I've just read your edit that suggests you're using a POP3 account with Thunderbird and if so the only difference in the settings is to use for the Incoming Port 995. 

Message 11 of 14

Just posted about adding other emails - thanks for your reply here 🙂

0 Likes

daveac
Enlightened One
Message 12 of 14

For the moment haven't gotten Thunderbird working again with TalkTalk and my 'tiscali' email addresses - however I have at least been able to add my email account to the online Mail App - giving ma access to them all. 

Seems together I'm using 3½ Gig of my 10 Gig space 🙂

Once I've caught up I may again try to get back to Thunderbird which I've used for many years - which I prefer and has no Ads!

EDIT/Update

Double checked my Thunderbird Settings - they seem to be correct accept even though I set the Port to 993 - following it is says 'Default 995' ?

Cheers, Dave AC

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi Dave

As you'll see you have a new topic to offer individual help.

Thunderbird is pretty straightforward to change over the incoming server settings. 

• Select a tiscali email account
  • Select Account settings cog icon top right
  • Select Server Settings left pane
  • Change Server Name from imap.tiscali.co.uk
    to mail.talktalk.net

When you collect mail you'll need the password handy. Enter the password and tick the box to remember that password with the password manager.

Account Type  IMAP
Username username@tiscali.co.uk
Password Tiscali email password
IMAP mail server name mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication method Normal Password
SMTP mail server name smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication method Normal Password

If you use TalkTalk Mail webmail you can add all email accounts together under one login. You'll see an Add email account option in the left pane Folder view.

Tesco email was retained and managed by Tesco so no involvement at all from TalkTalk. Tesco just decided to close that service down.