email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails to xxx@btinternet.com fail to be delivered now and error messages stuck in SPAM folder

ptalk
Conversation Starter
Message 27 of 27

I have just discovered that for the last month or so, none of the emails sent to email addresses xxx@btinternet.com have been delivered.  I was not aware of this because I found that all the error messages from mailer-daemon@talktalk.net had been sent to SPAM rather than to my Outlook 2013 account.

The typical error message I am getting is:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
Delivery to the following recipients was aborted after 24.9 hour(s):
Reason: The following message to * was undeliverable.The reason for the problem: Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached

So far, it is only email receiving addresses XXX@btinternet.com that fail, every other email address is working fine and even the XXX@btinternet.com addresses used to receive OK until some recent change with either TalkTalk or Btinternet.

Since I am using Outlook 2013, I could not use the solution posted for another person with a similar problem.  

I have a portable email address xxx@physics.org that I have used for many years and I have always specified this as the return email address when I send from Outlook via TalkTalk.

My Outlook 2013 account settings are as follows:

Name: xxx@physics.org

Email address: xxx@physics.org

Account Type: POP3

Incoming mail server: mail.talktalk.net

Outgoing mail server: smtp.talktalk.net

Reply E-mail: xxx@physics.org

Outgoing Server .... no boxes ticked i.e. no outgoing SMTP authentication

Incoming server(POP3): 110  ,   box not ticked for encryption (SSL)

Outgoing server(SMTP): 25 ,   None for type of encrypted connection.

Please could you suggest what has changed and whether I can fix it with Outlook 2013?  Also, how can I get Outlook 2013 to receive the mailer-daemon@talktalk.net error messages that it used to receive but are now being trapped in SPAM in webmail?

Thanks

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 21 of 27

I'm having exactly the same problem (except for the spam folder), only the last few days.

I do not want to risk trying to change my settings and do not see why I should as it is only btinternet addresses that are sent back after 24.9 hours, apparently by the talktalk postmaster even though my email address is ***@nasuwt.net.

I am not very savvy with how emails are sent but it does seem like a talktalk/btinternet issue.

Can talktalk or bt not just set filtering to accept emails from nasuwt.net?

0 Likes

Message 22 of 27

I am having exactly the same problem and its only in the last few days.

I do not want to risk changing my settings and don't see why I should as all non-btinternet addresses receive my emails.

My email address is ***@nasuwt.net and I do not understand why its the talktalk postmaster sending them back after 24.9 hours.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 27

Hi @ptalk 

How's it going?  Have you got your emails to btinternet recipients now?

And have you successfully changed the SMTP outgoing server settings for talktalk.net to use a secure connection?

It's always good to get feedback to know that advice has got a good result for our fellow members.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes

Message 24 of 27

Hi ptalk 

It's not unusual to find emails with no return address going to spam. Happens with my Yahoo email account all the time.  Mailer-daemon notifications have no return address to prevent bounceback of a bounceback notification.

If you set up your email accounts with IMAP settings then you can synchronise any of the webmail mailbox folders including the spam folder. So, what you see in the webmail mailbox you see in the Outlook client.

Using the 'friendly name' incorporating the physics.org address is exactly what most people do if not able to use the personal domain server for SMTP outgoing. 

What I would still like to see though is the talktalk SMTP outgoing connection using port 587 with STARTTLS as the connection security option. The SMTP server supports TLS 1.2 so will negotiate a secure connection.

0 Likes

ptalk
Conversation Starter
Message 25 of 27

Your question: Is the mailer-daemon from the TalkTalk SMTP server being returned to the sender's email i.e. the talktalk email address? i.e. you see the mailer-daemon returns in the webmail spam folder?  Answer: Yes, they all go in the Webmail spam folder. I would like them to be passed through to Outlook that I normally use for email so I can see them immediately rather than having to periodically go to look at Webmail to see any errors. Is there any way of doing this?

I checked the information you pointed me to and when I could not get the suggested ports working, I found out by trial and error that part of my problem was wanting to use my portable email address, xxx@physics.org and making the email look like it had come from this address when I send it from my xxx@talktalk.net address (seen as "spoofing"). Whereas that is allowed on port 25, I found it was not allowed with outgoing port 587 .

Since I could only get 587 working if I specified by xxx@talktalk.net address as the email address, I therefore changed the name of the sender to be "MyName xxx@physics.org" as well as making the return email address xxx@physics.org.  The receiver at least can see who sent the email as they see the sender as "MyName xxx@physics.org <xxx@talktalk.net> " so it is no surprise when they hit reply and see the reply address populated with xxx@physics.org.

This is the Outlook 2013 account configuration that now gets emails through to btinternet.com addresses:

Name: MyName xxx@physics.org

Email address: xxx@talktalk.net

Account Type: POP3

Incoming mail server: mail.talktalk.net

Outgoing mail server: smtp.talktalk.net

Reply E-mail: xxx@physics.org

Outgoing Server .... requires SMTP authentication, use same settings as incoming server

Incoming server(POP3): 995  ,  with SSL encryption

Outgoing server(SMTP): 587 ,   No encryption..

Thanks for your suggestions. I would still like some help if you know of any way to stop mailer-daemon error messages going into the Webmail SPAM folder.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 26 of 27

Hi @ptalk 

The email address you've quoted appears to have a valid mailbox.  I've obscured the address from your post (the underlying mailto: was still present). There appears to be no reason why you shouldn't be able to email the recipient.

The ideal way to test is to use TalkTalk Webmail.

Many email service providers will reject as potential spam email sent unencrypted using port 25. It's not a surprise to find such email undelivered. Usually an error bounceback will come from the recipient server but it's not unusual in the case of port 25 sent email rejection to find that email is just dropped.

Is the mailer-daemon from the TalkTalk SMTP server being returned to the sender's email i.e. the talktalk email address? i.e. you see the mailer-daemon returns in the webmail spam folder? 

The settings for Outlook 2013 and talktalk.net email accounts are in this article Email settings - IMAP or POP3 

No reason to believe you cannot use fully encrypted and authenticated email perfectly successfully with talktalk email.

0 Likes