email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 0x800CCC0E Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders

DrStrange
Participant
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

Since yesterday my Outlook is not receiving or sending IMAP emails with this error:

Task synchronizing subscribed folders for "my email address" reported error (0x800CCC0E): Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for "my email address". Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

A window pops up asking me to overtype my login details for the smtp.talktalk.net server.

I also use Thunderbird with POP only settings and this also errors out with popup "Sending of password for user "my email address" did not succeed. Mail server mail.talktalk.net responded: Authentication failed"

I have Outlook installed on another PC and it also refuses to send or receive emails with the same error.

I have read other posts with this error so I tried reinstalling my account in Outlook but this process fails with error "We couldn't log on the incoming (IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again."

The service status in my area shows green for emails. My email account shows up ok in my TalkTalk account. My personal details in my community account are up to date.

My settings are:

incoming server: imap.talktalk.net   port 993

encryption: SSL/TLS

require logon using Secure Password Authentication(SPA) is unticked

outgoing server: smtp.talktalk.net    port 587

encryption: STARTTLS

require logon using Secure Password Authentication(SPA) is unticked

My outgoing (SMTP) server requires authentication - this is ticked

Log on using user name and password is selected and User Name and password has been input.

I have not changed my email settings recently on either PC.

What else can I try?

Thanks.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted and thanks for marking Gondola's post as best answer to recognise the support offered. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi DrStrange 

Good to know you're back in control. There are messages advising that the password for a MyAccount login will be the same as the password for a TalkTalk Mail address that's used as the MyAccount login but these messages do flash by.

You had the Outlook settings spot on so it was either the password or being limited to webmail only access.

We appreciate you taking time out to give us your feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

DrStrange
Participant
Message 3 of 6

Hi Gondola,

The problem is solved. I did forget to mention in my original post that Webmail worked fine so that was confusing me as to why that worked but Outlook didn't.

But the problem was because yesterday I changed the password to my TalkTalk account and I only realised when I was looking at the password in my TalkTalk account for my email address is that these two passwords are always the same. When you change your TalkTalk account password, your email password also changes at the same time. I forgot to mention this also in my original post.

Thank you.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 6

Hi DrStrange, it looks like Gondola's got this in hand for you. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi DrStrange 

Your Outlook settings are fine.  Nothing wrong there except the password.

A weak password or compromised email account will trigger a password reset or blocking of the mailbox to help secure customer data. You may need help to recover access to email clients.

If you are not a TalkTalk Consumer (home broadband) customer your mailbox may get limited or restricted to webmail only access unless you've subscribed to   TalkTalk Mail Plus to retain the use of a TalkTalk Mail email address. Let us know your customer status and if you have the email address added to a customer MyAccount.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

This is to check the password is working for the TalkTalk Mail webmail sign in.

Password Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email address and or mobile number can receive a password reset link or 6 digit code. Please try the Forgotten your password? option. Enter your email address, complete the reCAPTCHA security and select Continue to upgrade the password.

Let us know how you get on.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution