email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault: Freedom To Surf email Down (again)

Furlough0
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

On 14 May 2021 I noticed the loss of outgoing mail service.. The server outmail.f2s.com is down.

Unusually this failure is not accompanied by the incoming mail server being down as well. This is not a logging in or authorisation problem. The server is unavailable.  This is easily checked, just do a ping for the server name.

It has now been out for a week and Talktalk say they are struggling to fix it.

But by when?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi Furlough0, Gondola won't give you bad advice. If you take it you'll get the best outcome. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 7

Thank you for the technical advice.  I will change my configuration to use the mail.overssl.net server for outgoing email. This will remove the need for forwarding of messages.

Definitive answers are not forthcoming and I share your doubts.

Thank you again.

Message 3 of 7

For the definitive answer you'd need to speak to TTB.

However, I personally doubt this will be given priority.  The outmail.f2s.com host name could be proxied to mail.overssl.net just as smtp-auth.talktalkbusiness2.net resolves to mail.overssl.net (ping smtp-auth.talktalkbusiness2.net and you'll see for yourself).

So, my advice remains to use the mail.overssl.net host name in your email client.  And instead of the previous insecure connections for f2s.com take the opportunity to upgrade to the secure SSL/TLS connections that mail.overssl.net offers you via the apm-internet servers that host the 3 remaining TTB legacy domains.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 7

Sorry about using the wrong forum, I did not realise that TT support was fragmented. Your suggestion would probable address the general communication problem. So thanks for that.

TTB do provide Webmail and I now use it to extract responses from a third party server and forward them to my desired @f2s.com address. I use the third party outgoing server to send email from my preferred client.  This round the houses solution does not solve the fundamental problem.  Which would be to simply restore the outgoing f2s server.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 7

Hi @Furlough0 

Are you back in action with the settings for f2s mail that I've given? 

We like feedback on Community even, as in this case, it's not a TalkTalk Consumer issue but you might be a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Furlough0 

Webmail access is via https://mail.overssl.net/

Email client access uses the same server host name: mail.overssl.net

Inbound Server: mail.overssl.net
Port: 993 (IMAP) or 995 (POP3)
Select TLS/SSL or SSL/TLS

Outbound Server: mail.overssl.net
Port: 465
Select TLS/SSL or SSL/TLS

Does that get you back in action for both receiving mail to your Inbox and for sending mail?

For clarification, this Community Email forum is for TalkTalk Consumer customers with mailboxes active on the TalkTalk Mail platform. 

F2s gotadsl and nildram are not currently hosted on the TalkTalk Mail platform and are managed by TalkTalk Business (TTB) but there isn't an effective link from here to TTB.

Go direct to TalkTalk Business (TTB) TTB Support to resolve any issues with the legacy email domain. TTB should have a record of the registered user details to match to your personal details.

All requests for support need to be made to TTB.  Call 0800 083 3003 - Mon-Sun 8am-6pm Press # and when prompted select Option 4.  Or email customerservices@talktalkbusiness.co.uk and ask for the Email Product Manager.