email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault : Tiscali mail not arriving at TalkTalk email addresses

davep
Insightful One
Message 24 of 24

I saw the thread yesterday but can't reply to it.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email/Fault-Tiscali-mail-not-arriving-at-TalkTalk-email-addresse...

My email won't send from client on laptop (pop) or iphone (imap) using @Tiscali.co.uk.  Same email will send from wife's ipad (imap).

Seems wife's @taltalk.net (pop) works from laptop.

Is this related to the thread from saturday or is it something else?   Has worked reasonably well for last n years!

Why don't TT send messages or leave the f....things alone (account log in??)?

If I change the ports as in the info, will things work again?

Can't understand why the iphone won't send though.

Thanks

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Never did get an outcome to this - that's probably a result of getting caught up in a little disagreement.

Won't get fooled again, Pete!

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

I offered you my help with respect to graphic presentations previously @davep, which you declined, I have now offered you moral support against your current situation, which you have rebuffed in a most unpleasant manner, and you have insulted Community Star Gondola by inferring that s/he has effectively abandoned you, as a direct consequence of my posting, so I guess that kinda leaves you in limbo, doesn't it?

~R.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 24

sadly not for the last 3 years.

It seems you have seen off gondola who may have been my only hope on here.  If you have nothing to contribute why post?

No need to reply, just go forth and ...

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

@davep wrote

Seems all is lost unless you have any ideas.......we're all doomed!!!!!!!!!

I have been reviewing your posts @davep, back to 22 October 2011, and I've got you down as a fighter ................ hang in there!

~R.

Message 5 of 24

@TheHornedOne wrote:

@Gondola wrote:

But who knows what you find when Pandora's box is open .........

'HOPE!'

~M.

Seems all is lost unless you have any ideas.......we're all doomed!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

PC, hard wired has been disconnected from the router and has lots of emails there, so I guess they will still be on my laptop if I switch off the wireless, or even remove the wireless card before I re-start it.

That begs the question of whether there is a simple way to save all the emails without individually putting them on my hard drive?

I also have several folders of emails, some of which I would also like to keep, so would they be lost should I open with wireless turned on?

3 years ago around now i was just coming out of major surgery.  I wonder what was the most testing from the 2 which took around the same time.  I may never fully recover from either!!!!!

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

@Gondola wrote:

But who knows what you find when Pandora's box is open .........

'HOPE!'

~M.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

If you disconnect a device from the Internet then the POP account on that device cannot download and delete mail from the online Inbox.

As the account on WLM is a POP account maybe you will find the missing mail messages. If so that will mean the WLM account is the one doing the downloading. So set that to never delete from the online server or keep a copy on the server for a defined period. 

But who knows what you find when Pandora's box is open or what that will require. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Message 9 of 24

I'm signed in to TT mail.  In trash are some mails my wife deleted.

I sent to myself earlier and didn't arrive.

Wife sent email link from her ipad.  It shows in sent on her ipad and in TTmail, but not come through to any inbox.

In my phone inbox I have a couple of TT community emails, but nothing from "myself".

There is nothing in any trash / spam etc and we haven't deleted anything except my wife deleting TT community notifications which are in TT mail trash.

I have still not opened my WLM on laptop, so what are my chances of having lost all emails from there?

Do any emails only disappear when internet connected?  I can turn off before I try that one, or maybe use desktop first.  I will get into trouble changing passwords again if I don't really need to.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

Hi Dave

A default POP3 account will download and delete mail messages from the online Inbox. Once downloaded to a device and deleted from the server then they're no longer available to other devices.  So their Inboxes will be empty and only the device that downloaded will have the mail messages.

So look at the Inboxes of all your mail collection devices.  And their Deleted / Bin / Trash folders, and just in case, their Spam / Junk folders.

If you cannot find mail messages anywhere and you don't think you permanently deleted them then go for the password change as a precaution in case someone has discovered your password and is using a POP3 account to download and delete your mail.

As for checking your webmail.

Check Spam and Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox. Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

Let us know of any error message, or if mail does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

Note:  I have just forwarded an email using webmail to myself.  It hasn't arrived in my webmail inbox, or the inbox on the ASUS.  This is what happened yesterday hence me messing about trying to sort it, following TT updated server info.

If messages lost on laptop can I get them back using a system recovery?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Sorry, my bad joke!

I don't think I've been hacked.

I've just checked (yet another) device, this time an ASUS tablet.  The inbox has been emptied on that as well.  

I have opened the incoming settings

Server              pop3.tiscali.co.uk

Security           none

Port                 110

Delete from server   Never

Out going settings

SMTP Server      smtp.tiscali.co.uk

Security               None

Port                      587

Not sure of others.

Is there a way to recover emails (I guessno)

Why have we lost them?  This is the most important.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi Dave

Yes I saw your email address and I'm pleased you obscured it before I got around to doing so to protect you from the spammers.

I have no way of knowing your email password. But you are right to be concerned. Why? Using insecure mail sends your mail messages and the password from your email client to the mail servers. Someone intercepting those mail messages can see them and get your password to hack your mailbox.

Seriously, if you think that may have happened then you need to set about Changing your email password 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

@Gondola wrote:

I always say that a screenshot of the current incoming and outgoing server settings would help me to help you because I can see what you see.  One device at a time please. And say what that device is and what version of the operating system and version of email software.

Upload here using a desktop browser and selecting the camera icon above this Reply area. Image edit the screenshot to obscure the first part of your email address before uploading.

I think that's probably beyond my ability.  Especially the obscuring first part of email address and anything on Apple, plus not sure I can get pics to a place where I can use them ie on my laptop.

I so far haven't opened mail on my laptop.  Will I have lost all the emails on there?  Not all were still on webmail as it was set to delete from server after certain time if I remember?

If you have a guess you could salvage anything I might be prepared to employ you.

Are you sure you are not trying to teach me a lesson in security and have hacked my email - I put it on one of the replies but realised I had and deleted it!  (Trust you can accept (what I hope is) the joke!)

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

I always say that a screenshot of the current incoming and outgoing server settings would help me to help you because I can see what you see.  One device at a time please. And say what that device is and what version of the operating system and version of email software.

Upload here using a desktop browser and selecting the camera icon above this Reply area. Image edit the screenshot to obscure the first part of your email address before uploading.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Don't see how you can see what I'm doing when I haven't a clue.

All I know is yesterday emails wouldn't send from my tiscali.co.uk email account on either my laptop (POP) or my iphone (IMAP).  Wife's ipad (IMAP) would send.  All use the same  myname@tiscali.co.uk email account.

Based on your advice I changed the account settings.  Still didn't work. from my WLM, to send to wife's @talktalk.net account, though that account would send to mine on WLM on my laptop.

I changed my setting in WLM then pointer froze so I shut down instead of throwing the laptop and went out.

Came back and wife's inbox had been emptied, as had my iphone inbox.  None were in the bin.

I didn't remove the POP account and have not re-opened it, but suspect if I do there will be years of some important emails lost.  Yes I saved some but historic sentimental ones were left on server.

IMAP seems to have removed emails from the 2 devices without them being touched for almost an hour.  

Sorry I can't be any clearer, as you know I'm not that savvy, especially so with Apple stuff.

Also as I said messages have also disappeared from TT webmail account.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Must be the cloud cover because my crystal ball isn't revealing what you're doing.

I can see one device is a POP account. So, you know if you remove a POP account from a device to reinstall it you must save all messages that are downloaded to the device unless you've set to never delete from the server.

This is why we recommend using IMAP accounts so that all mail messages are left on the server until you delete them. Still make a regular backup of wanted mail messages. But deleting an IMAP account from the device does not delete mail messages on the server from any of the online folders.

If you delete mail messages on a POP3 account then those normally go to Trash / Bin / Deleted (or whatever the deleted messages file is named) and this is also only on the device itself.

If you delete mail messages on an IMAP account then these normally go to the Trash folder online when the device folders are synchronised to the online mailbox. They'll be in the online Trash folder for at least 30 days so can be recovered.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

laptop crashed, went out, now wife's ipad had lost all emails except 3 which just came in.  It was on my email a/c @Tiscali.co.uk.  I haven't opened my mail client yet.  Any ideas whether all will be gone from mine on my laptop if I open WLM?  I think i knocked off SSL and it changed to 25 and 110.

Any idea how they can be retrieved in her ipad?  Despite not knowing exactly what I'm doing, all emails went from my iphone but I got them back from trash.  Hers have gone from trash as well.

I really shouldn't be allowed to use these things, or maybe all these IT companies should make more allowance for those who don't really know what they are doing.  If I went on a course I'd only forget it as soon as I walked out.  Just checked and all messages gone from phone inbox and trash.  

Just checked in webmail and almost all inbox items have disappeared.  I'm in great danger.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi Dave

You know I like to help you but using secure authenticated mail is so important. 

Yes you can switch SSL off and use insecure ports 110(POP) 143(IMAP) 587(SMTP) and connect only via the TalkTalk network with password authentication. 

But you must make forward plans for the inevitable time when only secure mail will be accepted. 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

@Gondola "Don't use WLM as it's a deprecated product and not supported. You're not using secure mail and not getting authenticated so the server is issuing a permanent fail."

There we fall out. 

One from wife's sent, one didn't.  It has worked fine and is the only mail format that is anything like sensible to me.  If I knock off the SSL will it work?

It has worked until yesterday when it seems TT have yet again messed things up, as I read your thread.

Please tell me how to get my email working again, not what I should use.

No I don't have Win10 so probably my OS is out of date as well, but don't suffer anything from insecurity, only being forced to use alternative to ie!!!!

0 Likes