email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glitches with my tiscali mail

td123
Whizz Kid
Message 26 of 26

For the last few days I have had problems with my mail. When I log in I get a Restore Application notification saying that the item(s) were still open when I exited mail and given a choice to continue or discard. 

In addition when composing a new message or a reply it quite often has gone to a " there is a problem with this page try the "refresh" button below, and clicking that gets me back to the message after about 6 to 10 seconds.

Anyone else having similar issues, or just me?

Regards

25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Thanks all

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 26

@Gondola 

@Ady-TalkTalk 

@Gondola wrote

Hi td123

And just to acknowledge that your original report led to the identification of the fault. Thanks to you for taking the time to report initially to start us off on the troubleshooting.

We report issues & glitches; Stars & Support Teams get them sorted..... The Community at work!

Thanks for your efforts guys.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 3 of 26

Hi td123 

Just to let you know that the cause of the 'out of memory' fault has been identified and does appear to have been fixed by the Advertising Management team. If using Edge or Chrome and not using an ad-blocker, let us know if you feel it's fixed or if you still get an 'out of memory' crash event.

And just to acknowledge that your original report led to the identification of the fault. Thanks to you for taking the time to report initially to start us off on the troubleshooting.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 26

I'm not aware of any fix being made for the mail platform issue at present. I'm expecting an update today.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 26

@Gondola wrote:I'

m confident that the Community website is no more liable to crash than comparable websites. But clearly TalkTalk haven't got a fix for TalkTalk Mail to run reliably on Chrome and Edge. 

Microsoft Windows Versions only ...................... presumably!

~R.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 26

Hi td123 

That's 4.5 hours running Community on Chrome and no crash.  That's not to say that the Community website is error-free because there's this, that and what not bugs still not fixed!

In the last 30 minutes I put TalkTalk Mail on a tab running alongside Community. The TalkTalk Mail tab crashed twice but surprisingly the Community tab was unaffected. So the crash issue is not fixed but I haven't (yet) been able to replicate both tabs crashing together. 

I'm confident that the Community website is no more liable to crash than comparable websites. But clearly TalkTalk haven't got a fix for TalkTalk Mail to run reliably on Chrome and Edge. 

Message 7 of 26

OK. That's positive confirmation that TalkTalk haven't yet fixed the TalkTalk Mail crash issue.

So far I'm not seeing any issue, nor do I expect to see one, with Community running in isolation in a Chrome browser. But I'll keep it active tonight just to make sure.

td123
Whizz Kid
Message 8 of 26

@Gondola 

Just to confirm, yes both tabs were open at the same time of the crash(es).

Message 9 of 26

Hi td123 

If you have TalkTalk Mail on one tab and Community on another tab and the browser crashes then both tabs will be similarly affected. But the crash is down to an issue with the advertising on TalkTalk Mail. 

What I'll do here is run for the rest of the evening using Chrome (no extensions or tracker blocking active) primarily on the Email forum and Firefox running TalkTalk Mail. Then if there are any issues with Community and the Chrome browser I'll be able to log it just as I have with Chrome and Edge running TalkTalk Mail. 

td123
Whizz Kid
Message 10 of 26

@Gondola 

Both were on here, the EMail section. In addition when I then went to check my inbox the same crash was there at the same time.

Message 11 of 26

What specific page were you viewing? There's no advertising so it's not the same as the TalkTalk Mail webmail issue. 

td123
Whizz Kid
Message 12 of 26

I have now experienced a couple of crashes here on the TalkTalk Help & Support section, with the same "out of memory" error message as seen on the webmail.

Message 13 of 26

You're always welcome.

td123
Whizz Kid
Message 14 of 26

@Gondola 

Thanks for taking the time to investigate. 

Message 15 of 26

Hi td123 

No, the root cause is not the latest update of Edge as I've replicated the crash on the previous build as well as on the current build.

I normally use Firefox and the Ghostery ad-blocker is running with exceptions to allow LiveChat and Google tag manager.  I've not had any crashes of TalkTalk Mail. Following your report I tested with Edge and Chrome both with the Ghostery ad-blocker running and had no crashes. But when the advertising was being displayed it got to the point, as shown in the console display, where Edge would crash exactly as you reported.

I don't know when TalkTalk will get around to investigating / removing any rogue advertising / fixing the issue so my workaround is to ask you to use an ad-blocker of your choice.

Bear in mind that tracker blocking can cause other web pages / websites not to work and sites that depend on advertising revenue will ask you to pause the blocker.

td123
Whizz Kid
Message 16 of 26

@Gondola 

That's exactly what I'm seeing, with the same "out of memory" message. I am running Win 10 and did wonder if the root cause could be the latest update. I have the same Edge build as you detailed and tried a re-install this morning - not sure yet if that might have helped. I also ran a sfc/scannow yesterday, it did say it found some corrupted files and successfully repaired them - but I have had the crash happen again since then.

As to other Apps I run the free versions of Avast anti-virus; Malwarebytes Antimalware and Adcleaner. I also run WinOptimiser for Drive/Internet/Registry  cleaning & tweaking. I do not run a specific adblocker or tracker blocker. Ads are visible on the mailbox page with no noticeable difference to them as before the crashes started.

Regards

Gondola
Community Star
Message 17 of 26

Hi @td123 

I have now replicated the issue. Windows 10 Edge Version 95.0.1020.53 (Official build) (64-bit) crashed whilst on TalkTalk Mail compose screen and when video advertising was running on the skyscraper panel (RHS). So far I've had no crashes when advertising is blocked. I normally run Ghostery as an ad-blocker and only when this was paused when composing an email did the crash happen.

Edge crash when running video advert 11-50pm 12Nov2021.png

I've replicated the crash twice now at the same point. As shown.

So, my quick fix would be to install an ad-blocker if you're not already using one.

Message 18 of 26

Hi @td123 

I cannot replicate what you and a couple of others are reporting we need further details to be able to diagnose the root cause. Looks like it could be a browser issue but quite what is triggering the crash is a mystery.

Does the crash happen only when composing an email for example? Or when viewing emails?

Please let us know more about the device operating system, Edge browser version, the security software you have running and whether there are any ad-blockers or tracker blockers running. Do you see advertisements whilst using TalkTalk Mail webmail for example?  Could it be a video advertisement that's running and causing the out of memory error?

Message 19 of 26

Yes, just saying I have a similar problem. I googled the problem and this site/thread came up so I posted. The page goes blank other than 'Aw Snap' with an error message below, normally 'out of memory'. I don't know how to do a screenshot but there's not much to show really.

Message 20 of 26

Yes, just saying similar. The problem only started a few days ago. The page just goes blank with different error messages, usually 'out of memory' and I have to reload it. I googled the problem and this site/thread came up, so I thought I'd post. I don't know how to do a screenshot but there's not much to show really.