email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gotadsl email

cms54
First Timer
Message 26 of 26

For the last 2 weeks I have had a problem with emails - I use a gotadsl.co.uk address and for a time last Wednesday nothing was working. Then it appeared to get sorted and I have been receiving emails since then. However, I recently realised that none of the emails that I have sent have arrived and I had no message telling me of the problem. Since then I have contacted (chat or phone) TT Home Support, TT Business Support & TT Business Domain Admin and none of them mentioned that they were no longer supporting the servers - so I have started to use a gmail account, but I would prefer it if I could use gotadsl.

You mentioned another organisation that was taking over the gotadsl servers, can yyou give me any contact details because I am getting no help from TT?

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

@Gondola wrote:

'It's all down to good customer service and frankly the more you pay the better the service you tend to receive.'

Which infers 'the less you pay the poorer the service you tend to receive', does it not Community Star Gondola?

A letter dropped onto my door mat Saturday morning last, effectively advertising that the cheapest of broadband deals are available, from .................TalkTalk!

~R.

Message 2 of 26

Weevie

Windows Mail on Windows 10 has a setting 'Require SSL'.

Mobile email app Security settings, when selectable, usually have Security Type 'SSL/TLS' and if it's an iPhone mobile it's 'Use SSL'.

The descriptions are different across different softwares and the SSL description remains despite the fact that TLS security is dominant and is used and supported whereas SSL encryption is deprecated.

So don't worry about the description just make sure the email software is up to date and supported with security upgrades and that you're using the secure port numbers and security settings.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 26

@Gondola 

"Email client access uses the same server host name: mail.overssl.net

Inbound Server: mail.overssl.net
Port: 993 (IMAP) or 995 (POP3)
Select TLS/SSL or SSL/TLS

Outbound Server: mail.overssl.net
Port: 465
Select TLS/SSL or SSL/TLS"

Is this for Windows and/or Android ?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

Hi Weevie 

It's a good question to ask if you're looking for your own domain name email hosting.

It's all down to good customer service and frankly the more you pay the better the service you tend to receive. Not just people there to help you but sufficient mail senders to minimise the number of users per sender that therefore minimises the risk of spam being sent and the server getting blacklisted. An active anti-spam policy that is backed up by email admins shutting down any unauthorised use of their mail servers.

Cheap mail hosting tends to be where the host server receives mail and forwards on to a free email address from Gmail Yahoo AoL Microsoft Mail etc. But mail forwarding isn't reliable.

Overall, I think that unless there's a very good reason for having your own mail domain you're just as well off using any of the large free Mail providers as mentioned above.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 26

@Gondola 

Thanks - yes - I can now send and receive mail

next step - looking at alternatives - any suggestions as to a reliable (cheap) host ?

I would prefer this rather than gmail or similar !

0 Likes

Message 6 of 26

Hi cms54 and others

The DNS records have been restored so inbound mail can now find the MX servers hosted by apm-internet.

Webmail access is via https://mail.overssl.net/

Email client access uses the same server host name: mail.overssl.net

Inbound Server: mail.overssl.net
Port: 993 (IMAP) or 995 (POP3)

Outbound Server: mail.overssl.net
Port: 465

Does that get you back in action for both receiving mail to your Inbox and for sending mail?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 26

I agree that notice should be given of any closure.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

@Gondola"Pragmatically, I still don't see a business case for TTB keeping the legacy mail going because it's an overhead cost and they've already cut their own mail services to save money."

Whilst most GOTADSL users will be non-paying legacy customers - there will still be many paying TTB customers - who will still rely on GOTADSL - So TTB cannot dump the domain until the last of those migrates

0 Likes

Message 9 of 26

I do plan to get my own domain at some point - but haven't got round to it

Maybe this is the kick up the ars e that I need to pull my finger out

I have hundreds of contacts to notify and way too many online accounts that need changing

0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

Another member also said that TTB were aware of the missing DNS records. Until the DNS records are restored your incoming mail will be bounced. In my experience you should anticipate at least a day of no mail.

Pragmatically, I still don't see a business case for TTB keeping the legacy mail going because it's an overhead cost and they've already cut their own mail services to save money.

So I'd definitely have a backup plan ready for a quick migration to another mail service.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 26

I have raised a case with TTB Domain admin - I have a reference number

They tell me that many TTB related email domains are having problems today

There are NO plans to kill off GOTADSL

Just keep on trying to connect and at some point it WILL return

I only hope that it is sorted today - because the weekend is here and I need email before Monday !

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

I have no way of finding out as I'm not a TTB customer nor do I have any records held by TTB to be able to request help.

Another member has asked TTB.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 26

@Gondola 

No - overssl is not receiving new emails

0 Likes

Message 14 of 26

@Gondola Any chance of finding out - because I (and others) rely on GOTADSL

I was told a good 6 months ago - that GOTADSL would continue for the time being and that if it was to be closed down - adequate warning would be given

0 Likes

Message 15 of 26

TalkTalk Business (TTB) ceased their email operations last year and notified customers last December about ceasing the talktalkbusiness domain.

TTB had outsourced the hosting of their legacy domains f2s nildram and gotadsl to apm-internet and at the time of ceasing the talktalkbusiness domain there was an outage of the legacy domains but these were restored.

I understood that TTB were going to advise users of those legacy domains of any future plans. All we were told at the time was there were no plans to change the way that TTB were managing the domains. There's a sticky post at the top of this forum that says just that.

At present I don't know if the legacy domains have failed or been ceased.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 26

Surely if they were ceasing the legacy service ,we would have all been notified?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 26

Hi Weevie 

I gave details in post 2 of this thread. And Ady posted a sticky post at the top of this Email forum to say that the remaining legacy domains will still be managed by TTB.

overssl is webmail access to your mailbox. So that may well remain accessible. But is it receiving new mail messages?

pop3.gotadsl.co.uk is email client access.  That server is not responding.  The MX servers that receive incoming mail to you are not responding.

We don't know whether this is a fault condition or if TTB have told you they're ceasing the legacy servers. So that's why I'm asking you if you've been told by TTB about the future of their remaining legacy domains.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 26

@Gondola It is working on my laptop using (incoming) mail.overssl.net but not on my mobile using pop3.gotadsl.co.uk

it was working on both,  yesterday -  you imply that gotadsl is no longer supported by TTB ?

If so - why is it still working on my laptop ?

Please elaborate further

This is yet another unexpected fail

thanks

I tell a lie - it WAS working on my laptop - but that too has now failed

I am now also unable to receive email using webmail (overssl.net)

Who am I supposed to obtain support from if not TTB ?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 26

I have the same problem , so you are not on your own

0 Likes

Message 20 of 26

Hi Weevie 

There are no mail exchangers found for the TalkTalk Business (TTB) domains gotadsl.co.uk or nildram.co.uk or f2s.com.

So, no mail will be received at present.

Have you been given any information about the ceasing of these legacy domains or is this an unexpected fail?

0 Likes