email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HACKED

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 6

I have an email-only TalkTalk service, so the £50/year thing.

I've had nothing but trouble with TalkTalk internet down the years - constant issues with getting hacked, mass spam email being sent from my account without my knowledge, having to change my password - endless hassle. Not able to send emails for days and weeks on end.

Now things have REALLY come to a head.

Someone, possibly the same, actor has hacked my service to the extent that I can no longer log into either my TalkTalk account OR my TalkTalk email. Not via webmail or via third party clients, eg Thunderbird.

When I try to reset my password and the system asks me where I want the reset link to be sent, I see my TalkTalk email address PLUS an unrecognised email address. Neither is any good because whoever it is has changed the password for the TalkTalk service, so they will get the reset link - and of course, I don't have access to the second email they have set on the account.

To recap - I cannot use the password reset function, as whoever has hacked the account has control over both the account and the email account.   

What can I do? Please can someone help me. Thank you.

Mike Johnson
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hey Mike

I'm trying to help you identify how your TalkTalk email password was more recently discovered. TalkTalk told those impacted users in 2015, in a full disclosure, to change their passwords.

The common factor since then is the Onliner Spambot attack of 2017 that means you, the user, downloaded the malware that captured your personal and employment email addresses and passwords. 

On 10 September 2020 you made public your TalkTalk email address and employment email address. Shame on me for taking 3 minutes to obscure the addresses from the World. Scammers run screen scrapers to capture such addresses.

I've recommended you delete the email address to stop such scammers targeting you with more malware mail messages.  It's up to you what you do about it. 

None of my TalkTalk addresses has been compromised but, hypothetically, if I'd been made aware of a total of 18 data breaches for 2 addresses then I'd be taking the situation very seriously. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 6

The case in point here is: a bad actor has managed to hack a TalkTalk account and email address. There's really no point employing misdirection to say, "oh, but look how bad everyone else is too". That doesn't make TalkTalk any better, right? It may be true that TalkTalk doesn't appear in these particular 11 breaches identified on that particular website, but the *most* important thing is that my TalkTalk account and email have both been hacked and taken over.

I've had a Gmail address for about a decade, never had a SINGLE problem with it. In the same time period (as you will be able to see just looking back on my past history posting on this board) I have had plenty of trouble with TalkTalk.

Remember 2014, when contractors in India gained unauthorised access to the personal data of 21,000 TalkTalk customers? How about October 2015, when a cyber-attack led to the theft of data involving over 156,000 customers? The ICO fined TalkTalk £500,000 which, at the time, was the maximum the data watchdog could impose. That indicates to me a business which some serious security challenges.

Companies need to own when their security is clearly at fault, not defensively say "look at all the other times when bad things happen, we weren't involved in them. Surely the best result for all concerned would be for me and all the other TalkTalk people who are suffering hacks right now (just browse through some of the messages over the past few weeks) not to have to keep pestering you with these problems? It's not always customers who are the source of a company's problems.

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Mike

Thank you for updating your profile ready for TalkTalk Support to pick up from Monday onwards.

@johnsm13 wrote:...TalkTalk should not make it so straightforward for email accounts to be hacked...I've never known an email service to be so vulnerable to bad actors as TalkTalk.

You're right that TalkTalk could do better and introduce 2 factor authentication (2FA) for a code to be entered from the user's mobile device before the user can access the mailbox. I would really like to have the 2FA feature as it would stop hackers unless they also have cloned or stolen the user's mobile.

But the principal security is by using SSL/TLS encryption and asking users to maintain their personal security awareness, online security defences and a unique ultra-strong password. For security aware email users this level of protection is normally perfectly good.

I don't see TalkTalk being part of the 11 data breaches involving your email address nor any of the 7 data breaches involving your employment email address. Onliner Spambot that was reported by the BBC in 2017 was a massive capture of 711 million email addresses and passwords. Your talktalk and employment email addresses are both linked to that breach. You might also like to review LinkedIn as your employment email was involved in that breach. 

0 Likes

johnsm13
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for replying. I am SO weary of all this. 

Your Q: Do you have any clue to how your password became known? 

My A: Who ever knows the answer to that?

Your request: Enter the email address at the haveibeenpwned.com

My response: Rather obviously, it comes back that lo and behold my talktalk email address HAS been involved in hacks. But I knew that already.

Your statement: You really should consider deleting the email address and creating a new one.

My response: Well yes. But TalkTalk should not make it so straightforward for email accounts to be hacked like this. Browsing the recent messages on this board, it looks like TalkTalk hacking has become an epidemic. What is TalkTalk doing to make itself more secure?

Your request: Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support

My response: Done

Your statement: For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware

My response: Fair enough. But I've never known an email service to be so vulnerable to bad actors as TalkTalk. 

Mike Johnson
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi Mike

Sorry to see that someone has discovered your mailbox password and having changed the password and password recovery has effectively taken over your email account. Anything linked to the email account could be compromised. So scan all your devices to remove any password grabbing virus, trojan or other malware before changing and upgrading your linked online passwords.

Do you have any clue to how your password became known? e.g. using public wi-fi hotspots, using your device in a location where you might be observed by an over the shoulder spy?

Enter the email address at the haveibeenpwned.com website to get a clue on your email account being linked to an online data breach. I recall that when you last checked there were 11 instances of data breach information in the hands of hackers and 7 instances of data breaches involving your employer's email address.  In such a situation you really should consider deleting the email address and creating a new one.

In terms of getting back in control I'll let TalkTalk know that the password recovery options aren't available. A TalkTalk Support member will need to verify you as the registered email user and set up your password recovery alternate email address and mobile number (the Reset details) so you can send a password reset link or code to authenticate a password change.

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current home 'phone number (if you have a landline service). An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address needing recovery, other notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

A TalkTalk Support member will reply to this thread and then Community Personal Message you to confirm your MailPlus customer account details and or details related to the original registration of the email address.

When verified the Reset details will be set up during a working week within 24 hours allowing you to set your own password via the Forgotten your password journey. Make sure the password is ultra-strong and unique to the mailbox. Check via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in that you can access the mailbox.

For a compromised mailbox I'd always suggest scanning your email devices for viruses and malware before changing any password. And when you do get access via the  TalkTalk Mail sign in check there's no Auto forward or Filter rule diverting your mail messages.

• Select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If you see There is no rule defined then you need go no further.
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red   
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know if you need more guidance.

0 Likes