email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP; Emails Missing?!

lcrjames
Chat Champion
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

I don't often use webmail, but I set up out of office auto reply today with it and I noticed that my webmail's inbox has no emails in it! I sent a few test emails to myself and they appear in the inbox, but once I have logged out, and log back in 5 minutes later they have disappeared!!

I use thunderbird email client (POP3) and double checked the settings, they have been set as leave emails on server until I manually delete them!! So the problem is not my end!

This problem has never happened before with the old webmail system. In fact I think I remember with the old webmail system you could chose how long emails stayed on the server, up to 30 days if my memory serves me. I have looked at the settings/options on the new/current webmail but no joy!

I will be out of office next week and need access to recent emails which should be in my webmail's inbox! Please help.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi @lcrjames 

@lcrjames wrote:...:...do you know how long emails will stay in my webmail's inbox, is there a time limit? (30 days rings a bell with the old webmail?)...

TalkTalk don't delete emails from the Inbox after 30 days.  A POP3 email client can be set to delete after a pre-determined time though as you've said:

@lcrjames wrote: ...I did have the option leave on for 14 days ticked too, so I would have expected to have had at least the last 14 days worth of emails in my webmail's inbox!...

The TalkTalk Mail Inbox will retain emails, as will any 'My folders', Drafts (unsent), Sent objects and Archive, until removed by the user.  Filter rules in Webmail carrying out Move actions and rules such as Delete settings running in Thunderbird will remove emails from the Inbox.

@lcrjames wrote:...OK so I double checked my settings, like I said I had ticked the option leave on server, but so was the option 'until I delete them', which I didn't realise meant when I delete emails in thunderbird's inbox it would remove the same emails from the server! So I have now unticked that option.

As an added advisory note, I have seen in the TalkTalk Troubleshooting advice a statement "Messages in your Trash or Spam folders get automatically deleted every 30 days."  However, I cannot confirm if that's what's supposed to happen on TalkTalk Mail.  I do have emails in Spam and Trash that are way older than 30 days...

It appears to me that you now have Thunderbird effectively set up as a POP3 account to "Never delete from the server".  If there are no other devices connecting to the TalkTalk server mailbox then (subject to the TalkTalk statement mentioned above (applicable to Spam and Trash) and any Filter rules you have running) you'll find that emails will stay put.  You'll sign in to TalkTalk Mail to manage the mailbox.

Let us know what happens from here on.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

Message 2 of 5

Actually just realised I still have a problem... I only have very recent emails in my webmail inbox, from late on Friday onwards. Nothing prior! Now I understand any emails in my thunderbird's inbox should be on the server still because I have not deleted them in thunderbird! But also I did have the option leave on for 14 days ticked too, so I would have expected to have had at least the last 14 days worth of emails in my webmail's inbox!?????

0 Likes

Message 3 of 5

OK so I double checked my settings, like I said I had ticked the option leave on server, but so was the option 'until I delete them', which I didn't realise meant when I delete emails in thunderbird's inbox it would remove the same emails from the server! So I have now unticked that option.

Strange how I have never changed my settings before and it never caused any problems with the old TT webmail!

@Gondolado you know how long emails will stay in my webmail's inbox, is there a time limit? (30 days rings a bell with the old webmail?!) If there isn't a time limit I will need to have a clear up every now and then or set thunderbird's server settings to leave emails on server for x amount of days before deleting.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi @lcrjames 

The scenario of emails arriving in the Mailbox Inbox and then disappearing shortly thereafter is exactly the action of an email client or email app set up as a default POP3 email account, downloading and deleting from the server. OR emails being auto-forwarded with no copy being kept on the server. OR another Filter rule effectively moving (filing) emails out of the Inbox

So, check out all devices and webmail filtering.

Whilst troubleshooting, set up a Filter rule for all incoming emails (no conditions set) just an Action to copy emails to a personal folder created in the My folders section. What will then happen is emails will arrive in the mailbox and be put into the Inbox and the copy folder.

If that works successfully and emails still disappear from the Inbox after a time delay but stay in the copy folder I think it's certain there's some unexpected Inbox action happening. The fact there's a delay before the emails disappear does further point to a POP3 device so that's where I'd concentrate.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . and to help others Best Answer

0 Likes