email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUGE rise in Spam Mail since new Mail system went live

Woodssi
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 11

I have been on the new Mail system for approx. 3 weeks now.

In that time, I have been in receipt of countless Spam Mails from several addresses, but most commonly <vistaprint@tm.vistaprint.co.uk>

Why, suddenly, the increase?

Has there been a further data breach in relation to TT Mail Addresses?

Is the new system just not stopping the Mails where the older system did?

Would be interested to hear if this is an issue for more than just me, and what are TT's plans for cutting this out.  

10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

That's great DerekL, that's also consistent with what some of my colleagues reported with their own mail accounts. Thanks for posting to let us know. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

DerekL
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 11

It may be too early to judge yet, or just co-incidence, but I haven't received any more of the e-mails from Vistaprint so far.

Message 3 of 11

The frustrating thing about cloudmark is it uses every customer response to judge if the mail is spam. It likes to have lots of confirmation that the mail is bad. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

@Ady-TalkTalk 

Thanks for the reply.

As directed, I'm Marking and I'm also creating Filter Rule (as I saw on another post re: same topic).

Hope it 'learns' quickly.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 11

Hi all, I've now been advised that our cloudmark mail filters just need to see the spam messages marked as spam repeatedly until it's clear that they're spam. This means the filter system looks at all those marking the mail as spam and validates mail on this basis. If everyone marks it as spam it gets blocked quicker if not it'll take longer. I'm afraid this means you have to keep hitting the mark as spam button in webmail. There's no shortcut to fix this it's simply a case of time as the system learns what's good and bad. 

DerekL
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 11

I am also having same problems with Russian Ladies etc and Bitcoin adverts supposedly from vistaprint@tm.vistaprint.co.uk.
I have just sent you to 2x sample headers in message OCE_Ady

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 11

If you could send me the headers from one of the mails that would help. You should edit your own email address, but the vistaprint address is a genuine address that must be being spoofed so we need to see where it's really coming from. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11
Just like souwesterly, Russian Ladies and Bitcoin adverts now seem to plague my email inbox, there are others, but these two in particular are more prolific. Hopefully OCE_Ady can get some action following the project meeting.

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 11

Hi Woodssi, I was originally told that the move to the new platform meant that our Cloudmark mail filtering would have to learn the spam addresses again. However, there's a basic level at which the filters should stop mail getting through and it seems to me that it's failing to stop what is obvious spam. It shouldn't need to relearn the obvious stuff as that should be blocked by the base filters. I'm working hard to get this picked up and investigated properly. I'll hopefully have more information for you later today after the project meeting.

0 Likes

souwesterly
Team Player
Message 10 of 11

Totally agree.

I get load of Hot Russian Ladies and Bitcoin adverts in my inbox now, that never used to appear before.  Oh, there could be worse things to find there but they're unnecessary and are efficiently filtered by msn, yahoo and Googlemail.

What is worse though is that the filtering system insists on sending any social mail I receive as well all emails about payments to and from my linked accounts straight to the Trash box.  Loads of important mail simply heads into oblivion and I've yet to find a way to stop the filtering system from wiping them from my sight.

I’m not ageing, I just need repotting