email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacked, now not receiving emails and struggling to get help

John8787
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

Received a phishing e-mail last Monday that had hacked my tiscali account. Since then have received no new e-mails. Have Done 2 40 minutes live chat and an hour and 20 minutes phone call and there's no progress.

Can anyone suggest what to do? I'm due to have received some extremely important e-mails and need to access my new mail.

any help gratefully received as there seems to be no progress by Tech Support 

thanks

John

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi John, thanks for letting us know it's sorted. I'm sorry you were misadvised on the phone. If you're ever not receiving emails always check for filters and forwards it's how hackers get your mails and reset messages.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Hi John8787 

So far so good.

The anti-virus and anti-malware scan is to make sure there's no password grabber been dropped onto your devices.

The password upgrade / change is to secure your mailbox against unauthorised logins and collection of your mail by other mail services.

Hackers will set up auto-forwards and filter rules, change password recovery reset details and set up their email address in the auto-forward and other filter rules, reset details and in Address book contacts / distribution lists.  In the case of a compromised mailbox I always advise thorough checking of all of the above and that all filter rules are deleted for your security.

Good to know that mail messages are flowing into your Inbox once more. Regrettably, if the unauthorised auto-forward was not leaving a copy of the email then the only way to see those missing emails is to ask the sender to resend if possible. There's no TalkTalk backup service to call upon.

The email client settings for the tiscali.co.uk domain  I gave you in your second topic here.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution

John8787
First Timer
Message 3 of 5

i'd done the virus and password, but during the phone call been told the Filter rule was fine and to leave it alone

Removed the filter rule and have started to receive emails so thank you, but bit worried talk talk tech support couldn't do this when i was on the phone

Have I lost all the emails I received between monday and now ?

Need to re-install on my iphone and outlook do you have the server settings and ports I need on these for incoming and outgoing mail for a tiscali account?

Thank you very much 

Gondola
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Hi John8787 

If you're not receiving new mail messages then the hacker has set up an auto-forward and or other filter rule to divert your Inbox mail messages.

First, scan your devices to remove viruses, trojans and other malware.

If you can sign in to your online mailbox then you must delete all Filter rules, check your Reset details and upgrade your password.

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile, Personal Information (here):

• Your name, current home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your tiscali email address and password, select Sign in.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then use the Reset your password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and can save the login for you.

Use  TalkTalk Online Defence (SuperSafe) to keep your security strong and, as part of TalkTalk's security, is a  Password Manager that is useful for generating unique passwords, keeping those passwords secure, ready for your login.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like (below) to support me . . . Mark as solved (below)  Accept as Solution