email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hackers accessed email account.

Dshep1
First Timer
Message 3 of 3

Hackers took over my Instagram account and email account. I was not aware of the email takeover until it was realised i had not received Instagram's emails notifying change of username, password etc. I am missing a whole days worth of emails from my talktalk account from this period. The police have asked for login history for the email account, how do I obtain this?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 3

Hi Dshep1, all police forces have a direct contact within the business. If they contact us the relevant team will deal with them. 

If you need help resetting your password then I can help with that. I've sent you a personal message to get more information. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Message 2 of 3

Hi Dshep1 

I believe TalkTalk Security would accept and respond to a request from a Police Force for information or you may request such information from the TalkTalk Data Protection team as a Subject Access Request. Understanding your data rights

Bear in mind they'll need sufficient proof that you are the registered email user. Proof of who you are and a postal address and 'phone number to link you to the initial registration of the email address. This is just to make sure they're providing information related to an email address registered to you, not someone else. Is your email address added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount?

Prepare for TalkTalk Support by including in your Community Profile, Personal Information (here):

• Your name, current TalkTalk home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Let us know how you get on with the Data Protection Team. You should receive written confirmation to your home address normally within 2 weeks but allowing up to 30 days or 60 days if more time is required.

Do you know how the hacker came to discover your password?  Best to scan your email devices to remove any password grabbing virus, trojan or other malware before changing the mailbox password to lock out repeat hacking - assuming that the Police Force have not already taken your devices away for forensic examination.

Password Reset details should have been set up for the email address so that an alternate email address and or mobile number can receive a password reset link or 6 digit code. Please try the Forgotten your Password? option. Enter your email address, complete the reCAPTCHA security and select Continue.

If there's an alternate email address or mobile number shown that you recognise from the hints, and have access to, then please select one of those to send a password reset. However, if you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail then for routine password changes select the password reset to be sent to the email account itself or, preferably, update your Reset details via the TalkTalk Mail main settings menu then use the Forgotten your Password journey.

Advice on upgrading your email password is given in this post: Upgrade your legacy mail password 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution