email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help – vulnerable - Loss of LineOne on email clients

cheshireguy1
Chatterbox
Message 21 of 21

At 1pm on 21st July I suddenly stopped receiving lineone emails on my email clients (Thunderbird on desktop/laptop, Samsung Mail on tablet). I CAN still access them on webmail.

The pop-up on both email clients is ‘Enter your Password’.  Entering password brings up the same message and the password is already saved in the software anyway.

I have a broadband account with TT set up with my primary Tiscali email. The lineone address is registered within that account, to preserve access by email clients and avoid charge/closure. The server settlings for lineone were changed to the Tiscali servers a long time ago.  Pop3 not IMAP (for a reason).  I have previously had no problems receiving either lineone or Tiscali mail via the Tiscali servers on Thunderbird or Samsung mail (except when your system goes down for everyone).

THUNDERBIRD settings - pop3.tiscali.co.uk, Port 995, lineone email address, SSL/TLS, Normal password; smtp.tiscali.co.uk, Port 587, lineone email address, Normal password, START/TLS.

SAMSUNG MAIL settings – ‘Pop3 server’ is pop.tiscali.co.uk, SSL, Port 995, smpt.tiscali.co.uk, TLS, Port 587, Auth required ticked, lineone email address.

Until recently Gondola’s note pinned on the blog said legacy emails in the Tiscali family should be switched to the TT server except that Tiscali itself was supported. I therefore left lineone on the Tiscali servers.  A few days ago the message pinned on the blog no longer specifically mentioned that Tiscali was supported.

Action taken –

1 THUNDERBIRD MAIL – I have changed the server settings for lineone to mail.talktalk.net and smpt.talktalk.net, leaving the other settings unchanged, Still no access - met with ‘Enter password’ pop-ups.

1. SAMSUNG MAIL - I have tried changing the Samsung mail settings to the TT settings per the table in Gondola’s note (including port 995 for Pop3). But I get the message ‘User name or password incorrect or POP3/IMAP access not turned on for this account.’  I got the same message when entering the original Tiscali server settings again.

Have you changed something this week?

How can I recover access on my email clients?

Thanks.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi cheshireguy1, the issue has been fixed and is not something that will reoccur. 

Thanks for letting us know it's working. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 21

I also hope the restriction of customer mailboxes was a one-off. We appreciate you taking time out to give us your feedback.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 21

Ady and Gondola. Just to say many thanks to you both for today getting reinstated the client access I should not have had removed 7 days ago. I do hope TT have resolved the issue in such a way that it does not happen again. This has cost me in time - and stress! Thanks again to the two of you.

Message 4 of 21

Hi cheshireguy1, the team are investigating the cause of this error. I've now got enough data to raise the incident, but it was already being investigated yesterday afternoon. Hopefully, the fix won't be too far behind. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 21

Hi Synthesiser, please start your own topic as it's not related to the issue in the OP thread and we'll be delighted to help you. 

Ady

0 Likes

cheshireguy1
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 21

Synthsiser - you are now in the right place for help, but you need to start a new subject with your issue, for tailored help by the hard working staff and volunteer teams.

0 Likes

Synthesiser
First Timer
Message 7 of 21

I received an email advising me to confirm that my wife's LineOne email address is still needed and to click a link to initiate this. Unfortunately, for all kinds of reasons, I missed the deadline to update and confirm the LineOne details. The consequences are that my wife's emails are now blocked and will neither send nor receive emails. This is immensely awkward and inconvenient as you can imagine.

I have spent hours navigating the website going around in circles but cannot get a resolution to this problem. To exacerbate the frustration there is no "CHAT" service nor any phone number where I can speak to a human being to get this resolved. 

The TalkTalk Service and Help section has not been any help either. It seems like humans are being totally replaced with software gizmos and community answers. Responsibility is being absolved by TalkTalk and thrown back for the 'Community' to sort out.

I am so annoyed at the huge amount of time I have spent trying to resolve this "LineOne" issue that I am now looking into transferring all my phone, line rentals, broadband and mobile accounts to another provider in light of the impersonal abdication of guidance and help from TalkTalk, whom I have been with for a very long time. 

Come on TalkTalk - Covid pinging notwithstanding, surely your customers need looking after better than this. Please send me an idiot's guide or something to help me out of this dilemma. Your 'web' help does not work.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Just to add your input is valued and will contribute to this getting fixed. I don't want you to think I am being dismissive of your input. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Thanks, I'm just giving it as a guide. I've spoken with Service Delivery and to be honest I need everyone else to add their details then we can get a formal incident raised to be investigated thoroughly and the team can then check the logs for last logins from everyone. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Thanks Ady. Having read your new pinned general message on the issue, I would mention that my last sync was Wednesday 13.19pm, not Thursday. Just in case this info helps the investigation. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi cheshireguy1, thanks for updating all your information it really helps to speed things up. 

It would seem there's been an issue where customers who shouldn't be have been limited. I'm collating information to get an incident raised. 

Ady

Message 12 of 21

Thanks for working through the options with me. I've also worked with another member along the same lines. I've alerted TalkTalk Support because I now believe this requires a TalkTalk fault ticket. Your setup is perfect so should work. You should get a response here next week.

Message 13 of 21

TB LO IN Server.PNGTB LO OUT Server.PNG

Private section of profile updated and private notes has lineone address. Thanks for your help Gondola, await hearing further.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current TalkTalk home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add the lineone email address, notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

I'll alert TalkTalk to the situation.

I've tested Thunderbird using the tiscali host name with my talktalk.net mailbox and I cannot fault it. i.e. the server host names all point to the same server. All that's needed when changing the host name is to re-enter the current password in Thunderbird. The TalkTalk certificate is present and correct and the servers are responding as expected.

I'm expecting to see you've got it all correct but just for completeness, take screenshots of the Server Settings and Outgoing Server Settings from Thunderbird. Image edit to obscure the first part of your lineone email address and upload here using the Camera icon above this reply area.  I'll take a look.

Message 15 of 21

Thank you.  I have updated the password for my lineone address, complying with your suggested minimum content and length. And I have subsequently successfully logged in to webmail with that password and I am still able to view mail there.

SAMSUNG MAIL – FAILED.  I amended my lineone account in Samsung Mail, with the talktalk server and other details per the table, and the new password. Incoming security had to be SSL rather than TLS, as SSL forces a port of 110 rather than 995 for pop3. Pop-up says cannot set up account, “user name or password is incorrect, or POP3/IMAP access isn’t turned on for this account, check settings or contact provider.” Having failed to set up, it reverted to the previously shown Tiscali server details, but would not let me re-set those up either, with the same pop-up message.

THUNDERBIRD MAIL – FAILED. Then I updated the lineone account in Thunderbird mail with the server and other details strictly per the table, and the new password. On clicking on Collect Messages the first time, a pop-up asked for the password which I entered and ticked to save, then a pop-up said “sending of password for user xxx.xxx@lineone.net did not succeed. Mail server mail.talktalk.net responded: Authentication failed.” Then another pop-up said “Login to server mail.talktalk.net with username xxxx.xxxx@lineone.net failed.” Strangely, on looking in password manager, it has retained the following new info under Provider “mailbox://pop3.lineone.net (mailbox://pop3.lineone.net)” rather than talktalk, with user name xxxx.xxxx rather than xxxx.xxxx@lineone.net (but stored the new password correctly). Retested including after deleting these details from password manager. Same result, failed.

I see someone else has raised a similar issue. Did something change at TT last week?

Please help me to resolve, communication is important in these difficult times, I have added the lineone address details to the private area of my profile. THANKS IN ANTICIPATION.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

All TalkTalk Mail domains should use the email client settings as shown in the table:

Upgrade your legacy mail settings

Message 17 of 21

Thanks v much.  Not sure I would call my unique password weak, but I will try your suggestion.  I know that reset details are present. Just before I do, are you saying that a weak password is blocked (apparently only from this week) from email clients but not via webmail? Also must I move lineone to the talktalk server, or can I leave it on the Tiscali server, i.e. is the latter still supported?  Thanks again,

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

You're indicating that the email address is listed in your customer MyAccount and you've followed the guide on email client settings. 

Maybe the system thinks you're using a weak mailbox password?

Hopefully you'll have pre-registered for password recovery an alternate email address and mobile number. Either can be selected in the password reset process to receive an emailed link or a 6 digit code by mobile text message to authenticate a password change. It's worth checking these Reset details are present and correct before opting to change the password. 

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and your email password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, and update the Reset details if needed, then use the Forgotten your password button in the help page Changing your email password

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a 12-15 multicase letters and numbers password that also includes a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and will save the login for you.

If using TalkTalk Online Defence then bundled with the security package is a Password Manager that is useful for generating unique passwords and keeping those passwords securely and ready for your login.

cheshireguy1
Chatterbox
Message 19 of 21

Yes

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

Hi cheshireguy1 

When presented with the enter password window did you tick to remember the password before entering the password?