email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with pipex server problem

Manxman1
Team Player
Message 18 of 18

I have started to have a problem whereby I cannot send emails but I can receive them. I get a message that the email server ( smtp.dsl.pipex.com ) has rejected my login. A window appears with the server name, my email address and password but when I click OK it just reappears, the login has failed.  I've contacted TalkTalk help and chatted with two agents.  The first one wasn't able to help, the second one gave me a phone number which didn't work and a website address for pipex help which doesn't work either. Does anyone have a suggestion please. I'm old and live alone so my email is very important to me.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 18

I'm afraid as the account holder you should have details of your emails. I'm not permitted to provide the additional addresses. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Good morning Ady,

I'm sorry but I can't understand that, I've now logged into MY Account without any trouble.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

I've already sent you another message asking for more information. The secure verification information you provided didn't link to a live account. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi Manxman1, I'm afraid I'll have to ask for more information. 

I've sent you another personal message. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

To give you more information I'll have to verify your security information. 

I've sent you a personal message. 

Ady

Message 6 of 18

You say that 

"There is one main email account that has 4/5 slave/aliases connected to it". 

I've only ever used the one pipex email address so I don't know where the others came from!

I have completed all the personal information, I did that yesterday.

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

My instinct says that the master email address has not been upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform. 

TalkTalk will need to check and make sure the master email address and aliases are on the TalkTalk Mail platform. 

To link this topic to your TalkTalk service please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add the pipex alias email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.

I see that Ady is on the case and reports that there's a master or primary email address and a number of alias addresses linked to the same mailbox.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

There is one main email account that has 4/5 slave/aliases connected to it. 

Ady

Message 9 of 18

I suspect the mail address is an alias not a primary.

Ady

Message 10 of 18

I'm sorry but I don't understand exactly what you mean.  The only pipex email address I've ever known about is the one I use, the one you call an alias address.

When I try to send an email a box appears with the name of the server, my user name which is my email address and a series of stars where the password is.  When I click on OK the window briefly disappears and then returns.

When I had this same problem last year I think one of your technicians changed the password and it solved the problem but I never knew what the new password was.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi Manxman1 

The failure to validate confirms that the alias address has not been set up for the TalkTalk Mail platform. 

The key question is do you know the master email address that's linked to the alias and assuming you do what is the outcome of the forgotten password recovery journey and the email validation test?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Thank you again for your help.

I received your reply via email but it doesn't seem to be on the website?

My email address is of the alias type - first.last@dsl.pipex.com.  I've now sent an email from my Gmail account to that email address and it went through O.K.  Overnight I have received six other emails so I know that I can receive them, the difficulty is that I cannot send them.

I tried the validation method you suggested and received the following result: "Failed to validate, a timeout occurred while verifying fake e-mail address rejection for the mail server." 

I've been using the address for at least 15 years so I don't know what that means, hopefully you do!

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

That's potentially worrying.

If you entered the email address correctly and it's a master email address of the generic form abc12@dsl.pipex.com then either the mailbox has been suspended / deleted or has never been upgraded to the TalkTalk Mail platform.  If it's an alias of the generic form first.last@dsl.pipex.com for the master mailbox then maybe the alias is missing.  The alias would have been set up during an upgrade to the TalkTalk Mail platform.

So, we need to see if the mailbox is not recognised either via the master email address or any alias that was previously set up on the pipex platform.

To check you can send the master pipex email address a mail message and see if you get an immediate bounceback error message saying 'Undeliverable' that means the mailbox isn't active.  Repeat for your pipex alias email address.

And you can enter the email address at Verifalia, an external website that verifies if an email address exists. Enter the master pipex email address, complete the reCAPTCHA and select the Validate button. Does the top line response say 'Deliverable' or something else?  And repeat for your pipex alias email address.

Let us know the outcome in each case including full and accurate error messages and we'll guide you from there.

Message 14 of 18

Thank you again for your reply but I'm getting rather confused now!

I followed the link to reset my password and was asked "First enter the email address you want to get to" so I entered my pipex email address. A small window appeared with the message "The email address you have entered does not have a TalkTalk domain. Please try again.

What do I do now please??

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi Manxman1 

Your pipex mailbox is on the TalkTalk Mail platform so you should be able to sign in and check that the mailbox is working as expected.

Do you know the email password?  The password is the same for TalkTalk Mail webmail, and the incoming server access set up in Outlook and the outgoing server access set up in Outlook.

If you need to set a new password then use the Forgotten password button in the help page Changing your email password and so long as you don't get an error message and have previously set up Reset details of a recovery email address and or mobile number then you can use a recovery option to set a new password for Outlook.

Let us know how you get on.

Message 16 of 18

Thank you very much for replying so promptly.

I don't use TalkTalk Mail so I can't log in to it.

I use Microsoft Outlook for my emails on a desktop pc running Windows 10

I can send and receive emails using my Gmail account, everything works with it but I can only receive them on pipex.

On pipex the emails I try to send just sit in the Outbox.

I had this exact same problem a year ago and it turned out to be a problem at the server, it was rejecting my log in.  A technician solved it, I think he changed my password for the server for me.  It's the smtp.dsl.pipex.com server which my system logs into.

As I've said I don't use TalkTalk Mail but I'll see if I can update my Community Profile as you've asked.  Thank you again for your help.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

Hi @Manxman1 

Best to check the mailbox is working first. Do you know the pipex email password?

Enter your email address and password and select Sign in.

Compose and send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Let us know of any send error message, or if sent mail does not get saved in Sent objects or does not arrive in the Inbox or disappears from the Inbox.

How do you normally access your mail messages? Let us know the device, operating system and type of email software. For example, Laptop running Windows 10 and using Windows Mail.

Just in case you do need TalkTalk help with the mailbox then to link this topic to your TalkTalk Mail service, in preparation for direct help from TalkTalk support, please check your Community Profile includes in Personal Information (Click here):

Your name, current TalkTalk landline 'phone and alternate number (mobile preferred). Add your full address with postcode (location). Then scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc and then save changes.